Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Lights – what more do you want?
  • DoctorRad
    Free Member

Now that lights have become increasingly powerful, complex and expensive, what would you like to see more / less of in light designs? How about features you've not seen before?

Pieface

Adjustable colour temperatures.
    Adjustable beam patterns.
    Clever 'one button designs. Maybe Lupine are close to the money but its probably the main thing that lets down the Hope lights.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Lower prices based on less of an assumption that I'm an idiot with very deep pockets and am easily led…

joemarshall
    Free Member

Someone ought to make a good, small mountain bike dynamo light with different brightness modes.

Can you get a disc brake dynamo hub?

Loads of people run 6 or 9W of lights off a dynamo on road bikes, and with the newest hubs, it adds very little drag, way less than you'd expect if you last used dynamo lights 10 years ago, or have only used tyre dynamos (my 6w setup I can't tell the difference in drag between on and off). 9W of power is enough to run something like a P7 or Cree MC-E LED, or a triple LED like people are putting in lumicycle conversions.

I think it'd be dead easy to build, as the hubs are current limited, so you don't have to worry about constant current supplies, all you have to do is rectify it somehow, maybe add a capacitor to smooth things out, and some kind of switching circuit for different brightness modes (easiest way would probably just be to switch in 1,2 or 3 LEDs depending on how a switch was set).

The other thing I think would be neat, would be a much smaller light head, with open airflow to the LED. I built something like this with a 20mm plastic light head (a plastic bottle cap actually) ages back, and it is still working fine, and is lighter and smaller than any light I've seen. The open airflow ensures it gets cooled very nicely without needing a massive light head. The connections can be hot glued if you're worried about rusting / short circuits, and the driver electronics potted. The downside I guess is the potential for dirt getting in, it doesn't seem to be a problem with mine, although I've only tried with single 3w LEDs so far, be interesting to see with a P7 or similar. Thinking about it, my rear dynamo light is also an open-airflow light – a 2W red LED, stuck in a bit of old seatpost (20mm inner diameter), although being on my commuter, it is above the mudguard, so quite protected from wet. My rear light is about 24mm x 50mm all in (could be shorter, it'd just be more hassle to mount).

Joe

juan
    Free Member

trout light in red.

Actually make it bleu blanc rouge 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just simple designs really. Not 1001 different modes, just high and low is fine thanks: A proper wide flood close up, and a long range high beam like a car really.

cookeaa

snaps
    Free Member
    STATO
    Free Member

joemarshall – homebrew dynamo lights are getting almost as advanced as battery LED lights now. Remember Solidlights? or check out candlepower forums for some great examples. And yes you can get disc dynamo hubs, once the realm of expensive german makers but shimano even do one now! (Under Nexus and Alfine groups)

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Yes, Shimano make disc compatible dynamos.

joemarshall
    Free Member

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=248583

This guy has made a neat little dynamo light – even smaller than my rear light (basically the same circuit, but he had access to smaller components). That is pretty handy. A decent single LED light, in a unit about 10mm diameter by 30mm. Someone ought to build them, surely roadies would love em, given how much they'll pay for things like solidlights.

Joe

MrAgreeable

As Pieface says, adjustable colour temperature would be really good. I really like the "warmer" light that old halogens gave off, new LEDs have tonnes of output but make everything look washed out and lacking in contrast. Variable beam patterns could help in rain or fog.

CountZero

Was thinking about the beam pattern thing a while back, as Germany apparently insists on a clipped top to the beam pattern for road use. Wondered if a multi led design like the Trout could be used with several of the optics modified with a bifocal-like lens, similar to the dip beam lens on my old Ford Puma. If you look at the headlamps on a Puma, the projector type lens on the dip has a line inscribed across it, giving the dip cut-off. I'm sure an optic could be produced that gives a similar effect, coupled with a switch that selects between full (all emitters on), and just those with modified optics. A seven led light could have say three or four as the 'dip' for road/town/bike path use.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Would you want to be able to set colour temperature mid-ride, or would it be an adjust-at-home sort of thing?

How might beam adjustments be made acceptably ergonomic? Could be a complex adjustment with many variables, how would you want to be able to make quick adjustments in the middle of nowhere / with gloves on / in rain / snow etc?

DoctorRad
    Free Member

How about being able to set low and high brightness and beam pattern, and then having the lights fade from one to the other as you ride faster?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me we have enough light now – I have a choice of a p7 or cree triple bar mount and a cree single helmet mount.

What I would want is smaller / lighter / longer run times.

Better optics would be good as well – as suggested above more like car headlamps with complex lenses rather than the simple lenses reflectors we now have we have.

jonb
    Free Member

One so bright that gives off so much heat it feels like you're riding on warm summers day even late at night in mid winter.

Northwind

All I really feel is lacking from my P7 torches is burn time- one of them has a turboferret battery pack so it's pretty good but the other is just a single cell. They could certainly benefit from more power or better optics but IMO lights like these take us past the point where raw power is the big consideration any more.

Oh, and a low mode that isn't so low- this is an irritation with quite a lot of lights for me.

So I guess I want:

Inexpensive
    600-1000 luments
    Waterproof and tough/reliable
    Lightweight
    Burn time 4 hours +
    Replacable batteries
    Sensible choice of modes Hi, medium and off maybe. Customisation would be nice!

AndyP
    Free Member

longer run times, and simplicity. None of this changing colour etc nonsense. A single white light, with a good beam pattern which negates the need for having a second 'more floody' light or whatever. And a simple switch. On or off. None of this hi/low/flashing bolox.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@AndyP – how long would be an acceptably long runtime, and how much would you expect to pay for it? Would weight be a factor for you?

deus

laser beams capable of puncturing tyres, would make 24hr racing more enjoyable, at least for me.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Speed sensitive power rather than a switch.

Faster you are going the brighter the lights.

So for uphills they are low and when your stopped to talk to your mates you dont blind them.

trout
    Free Member

Speed sensitive power rather than a switch.
    Faster you are going the brighter the lights.

what about those slow technical sections where you want full brightness

Thought controled switching would be cool

langy
    Free Member

Northwind – IME you just described Ay-ups now they have the new hi/low mode on the batteries.

TBH, I don't want anymore than what my Ay-Ups offer; for riding at night, you need some darkness to remain. If you want perfect vision and visibilty, ride in daylight; part of night riding is the fact that it is different in this way.

If you have to fettle, then make it burn times, weight and size, not how bright it is. The lens/optic thing doesn't bother me, but is possibly more relevant than just more lumens.

AndyP
    Free Member

Thought controled switching would be cool
    only if you had to think in Russian.

@AndyP – how long would be an acceptably long runtime, and how much would you expect to pay for it? Would weight be a factor for you?
    6hrs would be good. Weight of course a factor – I believe you can get close to this with some massive bottle-battery type thing like Lupines use. As long as the head unit were small and the cable long enough to get from helmet to camelbak, weight of battery not so much an issue – but obviously the smaller the better.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

> Speed sensitive power rather than a switch.
    > Faster you are going the brighter the lights.
    > So for uphills they are low and when your stopped to talk to your mates you dont blind them.

Was thinking about this while spending most of today driving, how about this:

* Set high and low light levels
    * Set low and high speeds
    * If moving below 'low' speed, light is at 'low' level
    * If moving above 'high' speed, light is at 'high' level
    * Light level ramps between the two levels for intermediate speeds
    * Estimate of speed is always maximum reading from last 30 seconds to prevent lights suddenly going dim if you slow down
    * Override mode for 'those slow technical sections where you want full brightness' etc
    * Lights go into extra-low-power standby mode if bike is stationary for more than 30 seconds to save battery life. Again, can always be overidden if you need to do trailside repairs / read the map / etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

KISS

just a high low switch. Small /light/ long run times /reliable /good beam pattern

Beam pattern is the area to improve I think.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@AndyP – 6hrs would be good. Weight of course a factor…

Pick any two from three:

* Long runtime
    * Light weight
    * High output

You can get six hours runtime, but perhaps not on 'full beam'.

If you wanted six hours runtime, what sort of 'Lumicycle halogen spot equivalent light output wattage' would you be wanting? I hesitate to ask for a 'Lumens' figure as that is dependent on beam pattern, and no-one seems to use Lux other than the recent WMB lights test – hooray for them for using the relevant and useful measurement.

bassspine
    Free Member

Dr Rad, I love that speed sensitive system. Just have the battery being boosted by a hub dynamo, and we're there…

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@TandemJeremy

I hear you, but I'm thinking about a modular system. Basic is lighting heads plus batteries with switching somewhere between the two.

However, I was thinking of a system for tourists and endurance racers which would integrate with a dynamo to provide power to recharge gadgets and batteries for high powered lights. That would require a 'management' module, and once you have that, you can add pretty much anything you can conceive of in software with only a minimal overhead for interface and sensor hardware.

Hence my original question: what do you want your lights to do?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Bar mounted switch so you could change power settings without taking your hand off the bars.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Voice-operated ones that switch between 'high', 'low' beams for distance would be cool.

Luminous
    Free Member

"Bar mounted switch so you could change power settings without taking your hand off the bars"

This one can do that:

L.

julianwilson
    Free Member

"Bar mounted switch so you could change power settings without taking your hand off the bars"

I had that on an old clunky lead acid 10w cateye. Can't say i really miss it.

fergusd

the XP-G triple setup I put in my lumi HID case runs for 4 hours on full (>1000 lumens at the LED's) on the standard old lumicycle 40Watt Hour NiMh Battery . . . a more modern and larger capacity lithium tech battery should give 5-6 hours easily at the same power . . . All these new LED lights come with small capacity batteries, fine if you want lower runtimes, and also probably quite appropriate given few people need 6 hours runtime . . . but it's worth looking at battery capacity . . .

Funny enough I was thinking about this auto high/low thing just the other day . . . speed is far too much of a pain in the arse to do . . . extra wires/sensors are pointless and reliability liabilities . . . however . . . vibration would work . . . probably only need a one axis sensor and a wee microcontroller to interpret the data . . . then I thought . . . with 4 hours runtime at full . . . who cares . . . should patent that . . .

Lastly . . . I have a bFlex controller in my lamp, anything other then high and low with a simple toggle switch is far too much complexity . . . and I also agree that low should not be too low . . . I use 100% for high and 75% for low . . . of course if you use a tiny wee battery you may have different desires . . .

Fd

Luminous
    Free Member

JW.

What lights do you run now ?.

L.

bunkbed
    Free Member

why square optics in a round hole ❓

Luminous
    Free Member

BB.

The round shape allowed me to use 6 LEDs and achieve a decent spread of light, getting light down to the front wheel without using strange shaped and potentially difficult to seal lenses.

Also, having a round design allows me the option to use some of those cutter MCPCBs and round optics too, but I don't think there is a 6 XPG MCPCB and optic available.

And, I quite like the look actually.

🙂

L.

AndyP
    Free Member

@AndyP – 6hrs would be good. Weight of course a factor…

Pick any two from three:

* Long runtime
    * Light weight
    * High output

aye – so that's what I want from lights – all 3! any 2 from 3 is do-able at the moment. So in future I want to see full beam (as it'd just be on/off mode) for 6 hours, with a light weight. Get to work on it! 🙂

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@fergusd

> Funny enough I was thinking about this auto high/low thing just the other
    > day . . . speed is far too much of a pain in the arse to do . . . extra
    > wires/sensors are pointless and reliability liabilities . . .

Speed measurement is already built-in if you have a hub dynamo, you just measure the frequency of the output of the dynamo and calibrate that against wheel diameter. Can also do it with very little hassle and no extra sensors using a £40 GPS module. The third alternative is to have a wheel sensor and have the 'management' unit replace your cycle computer.

> however . . . vibration would work . .

Not on the road it wouldn't… would be very difficult to calibrate against speed (or even 'required light brightness').

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Lights – what more do you want?’ is closed to new replies.