Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • lights for road use/commuting
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

A colleague wants to buy someone a set of decent lights for on-road use, as a Christmas present.
    Budget up to £100 to include rear.
    I don’t really know what’s a sensible front light for ~£80, can anyone advise?
    I’d suggest a magicshine one but suspect potential quality/delivery issues?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

RSP Asteri 3 sems to have done well in various reviews, anyone have any info on them?
    It’d be good to get a brand like Cateye for ease of spares in future, but i’m not impressed with much of their front-light range.

brassneck

Magicshine, or SpokeBlokes light.

The worst problem with the Magicshine has been water ingress on the battery – less likely to be an iossue on road rides anyway.

foxyrider
    Free Member

1 x Ay-Ups – 6 hour burn time and very good commuting light and also I use it as a helmet light for night riding 🙂

Ahh sorry out of your budget 🙁

simon_g

Off-road ones like that may be a bit too spread out to use properly on the road – no good to be dazzling anyone oncoming.

I’d probably go for this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-hl-el530-and-tl-ld1100-light-set/

plus this:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=109608

Plus a couple of Knog backup lights just in case.

crazy-legs

Exposure Flash/Flare, about £75 from Wiggle including charger and rechargeable batteries.
    That leaves £25 spare to get a Fibre Flare rear as well.

Exposure
    Fibre Flare

foxyrider
    Free Member

That cateye rear is very bright – I have 2 and they are very goos and batteries last for ages 🙂

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Simon_g, should’ve mentioned – I’ve got the Cateye EL530 myself, and don’t think much of it TBH. Granted that rear light is good though, I had one before it bounced out of the belt-clip & I lost it! 🙁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘lights for road use/commuting’ is closed to new replies.