Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lights and Night Riding
  • petestuart
    Free Member

Having never done a night ride – some friends and I are considering a team even of some sort such as set2rise, or whatever Charge have changed the name to. We’re wondering what to do in terms of lights. We don’t want to spend a fortune – but realise we’ll need something pretty decent in the lumens department!

Would the DX-P7 jobbies be ok? Or does anyone have any recommendations?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Night riding is a lot of fun

The DX’s are fine for 2-3h and great value for money

Junkyard
    Free Member

borrow some ?
    my mail is in profile I can lend you all you need but wil need a deposit to value of lights !!!
    your problem is burn times …wahtever you use you will need more than one battery. think my pro lummi can do about 6-8 hours max but never actually tried.

andrewh
    Free Member

I don’t normally recommend Hope stuff because I’ve got a pair of hubs which are a complete PITA, but I also have two Singlevision lights (bar and helmet) which are excellent.
    Plenty bright enough for 24hrs racing and a doddle to swap batteries when used for commuting duties (only one required then)as just take 4AAs. Used with those Energiser lithium batteries they will last a whole 24hr and then a couple of weeks commuting.
    Nice and light (no pun) and got them new off fleabay for about £60 each.

andywarner
    Free Member

I have a couple of airbike p7s that I picked up for £75 each on my bars and a Hope Vision 1 on my helmet which is a bit cumbersome but perfectlt functional for the price. They work well together as the p7s have a flood beam and the Vision One is quite focused. I used to do nightrides up Dalby with a mate who only used a vision one so that gives you an idea.

singletrackmind

If you are in a team then you will only need enough amp hours for each lap. Most enduros laps are 40 – 60 mins , so the P7 lights will run for this , and alot more if you toggle between the power settings.

There is a P7 evolution LED out now , labeled XML ( i think ) and the torch versions are starting to appear now . They quote 1000 lumens , although reality is probably half this . At $28 they are still a great price , just get a few 18650’s and away you go ( not the 3000mah as they lie, get better runtimes from 2500mah)

Jammy111
    Free Member

I have one for sale which would fit the bill perfectly here

petestuart
    Free Member

Wow. Thanks for the response guys. I need to do a bit of research I think. Can’t promise I won’t mail you for some more advice on your suggestions.

Jammy – I’m super impressed, looks really great – bit put off by the homebrew battery bit. I’m usually well up for a bit of bodging but I think I just want a fit and forget (bar the battery situation!)

Think the bar and helmet combo is the way to go though.

Thanks again folks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lights and Night Riding’ is closed to new replies.