Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Light steel disc cross frames
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

What is there? That over-priced German lot (forget the name)..I imagine the Croix de Fer isn’t light, can anyone confirm?

Can’t afford ti unless its SH…

boxelder

Cotic X as frame and fork?
    voila

singletracksurfer

heard the cdf isn’t too light (but that may be the parts, not the frame).

I’ve got a lemond poprad – it’s ace. not sure where you’d find one tho 🙂

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I love my Croix de Fer. It’s not the lightest, I think mine comes in at just over 26lb.

The finishing kit is not the best, but it all seems to work beautifully, although I would like the brakes to bite a bit better.

Dom

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry should have said I’ve already looked at X and roadrat, looking for alternatives, even tourers, just needs to be light and zingy, thinking it could be a summer road bike and winter off-roader (not for cx racing).

druidh
    Free Member

Vaya too hefty Al?

Rorschach
    Free Member

the overpriced german one will be Fixie Inc Pure Blood.My current thinking is

apart fro lack of ss’ability.

maxray
    Free Member

What year is yours domrob? I thought the 09 frame was heavier than the 10/11 frame? I’m sure the newest one is more like 24 or25. Will go grab some scales when little un goes to sleep.

cynic-al
    Free Member

druidh – Vaya not light and zingy!

Rosarch….what’s that?

oldgit
    Free Member

He probably means the Vanilla Speedvagen.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Mine is the one without the extended carrier lugs, so could easily be an earlier frame.

It was £850 for that one or £1099 for the 2010/11 model… I figured I’d cope without the extra wide lugs and save myself the best part of £300!!!!

The ride is absolutely fantastic, I think the longest I have been off it since I bought it was when I was doing crazy travelling for work, adn they wouldn’t let me take it on the boat 🙁

maxray
    Free Member

Glad to hear you love it. Only picked mine up on Saturday, I am hoping it will be my most used bike. Just did a bathroom scales weighing manoeuvre and it came in bang on 24lb.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Nice!

I wonder if they have done some more cunning butting to the frame then, or whether it is just finishing kit improvements.

It’s amazingly adictive to ride, made my Kona (Now replaced with a carbon 456 😀 ) feel a bit like a slow slack sofa, until I go down any decent gradient, then I am weeping for my wishing I had chicken leavers…. Such a steep head angle (Expected really, but the initial shock was something else!)

PS Sorry for the thread hijack cynic-al!

maxray
    Free Member

Lol yeah, though may give food for thought on frame choice.

It would seem they used a different tube set on the 10/11 frame.

How off road have you taken it? I am going to ease myself in whilst I get use to drops but am hoping it will cope with lightweight xc eventually. It certainly feels like the bike could with a decent rider on 🙂

martymac

i saw a 2010 cdf on the scales, 25.51 lbs, in a 56cm, complete with pedals and ready to ride.
    nice bike, but tbh, they felt it was necessary to put a sticker on it warning you to hand wash only.
    take a look at the cotic x, or the roadrat, if you are set on having discs, if you’re not bovvered aboot discs, the planetx kaffenback is cracking value.
    hope this helps.
    EDIT, i missed your post where you told us you had already looked at the cotics, sorry.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Frame weight is what I am after thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

*bumps for day-shift*

thomthumb
    Free Member

gunnar hyper-x

they also have the fastlane which is more of an allrounder.

james-o
    Free Member

4.85lbs in a 56cm for the Croix de fer. if you can go much under 4.5lbs here you’re doing well and probably have a very compact frame layout. the tubes for the CDF are more the all round / tour / off roader than racer as steel’s not really what the racers want and the discs made it a non-issue for racing when the CDF was first made.

SidewaysTim

How about a Salsa La Cruz? Disc only, Platinum OX, frame is 4.5lb.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks Tim – you said Vaya was 4.5lb IIRC?

That Gunnar stuff looks nice too. I guess I may start saving…

younggeoff

Cotic >X< large frame came in at just under 4lbs 7oz built up to 25 1/2lbs that’s with lights, cable disks, full guards etc…

john_l
    Free Member

None of those sound particularly light. Singular’s Kite will be a bit closer to the mark when it goes into production. Enigma might be worth talking to if you want to go down the custom route.

qwerty
    Free Member

Burl

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have a Cotic X waiting for me to pick up. Folded a fully built one and it felt nice.
    Its the wheels thats the problem> Actually bugger all choice of hub. if you want mainstream to get spares its Shimano or Hope. The 1st is tacky and the 2nd sounds like a bag of spanners.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No discs on the Kite proto 🙁

I think I must be old cos everything looks dear 😐

pixelmix
    Free Member

If you can live without Steel, a Kinesis Decade Tripster would be lighter and cheaper than most of the above.

I like the idea of building one up for commuting and the odd 3 days tour (it has rack mounts and disc brakes) and racing CX in the winter (lightish frame). By the time I get round to doing it, I suspect there will be many more disc equipped CX frames around.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

What about a light ally one?

I got a Voodoo Limba which is very light, buts its Scandium and not what you would want at all

Sam

To be honest you are not going to get a CEN compliant disc compatible ‘cross frame in steel for much under 4.5lbs. I’ve just had a Ti Gryphon come in for a customer at 3.75lbs. If you were really careful with tube selection you could probably design a steel disc frame under 4lbs but it wouldn’t pass CEN testing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks Sam…looks like I need to scour ebay for an older frame then pritt-stick discs on to it.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Maxray – it has been everywhere my mountain bike has been,sometimes faster, sometimes slower. But so far everything is working fine.

I wouldn’t say I am a heavy rider,but I could definitely do with a skill injection!!

chewkw
    Free Member

Genesis Day One Alfine looks nice …

Genesis Day One Alfine

Slight hijack …

What’s the difference between the wheel size of 29er & Cross bike?

Are they the same only with Cross having thinner width wheel?

I rather fancy a Cross … 🙂

p/s: D’oh … found the answer … from somewhere …

mattsccm
    Free Member

Kaffenback’s are heavy but then I think many of the modern steel bikes are. Something like Reynolds 520 isn’t the quality of 531 say. My smallish Kaff weighed more than the 23″ 531 Raleigh I had. Kaff won’t go bike than a 32mm knobbly though.

ourmaninthenorth

Rosarch….what’s that?

Ridgeback Flight Ti, I think. Isn’t that an MTB frame?

pistola
    Free Member

I love my Croix de Fer. It’s not the lightest, I think mine comes in at just over 26lb.

The finishing kit is not the best, but it all seems to work beautifully, although I would like the brakes to bite a bit better.

I have a 58cm Croix de Fer and it’s not light but does ride nicely. I don’t think light steel mass-produced frames are around now with the CEN requirements.

I upgraded the rotors on the CdF from 160mm to 180mm (front one just fits on the fork) as i too was disappointed in the braking performance. They have improved things hugely.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The flight is their commuter frame!!! but if you look at the geometry its pretty much cx numbers (apart from slihtly steep HA).

Houns

Like Stevie i have a Scandium Voodoo Limba with a disc on the front and can vouch for how light it is

*waves at Stevie*

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Pistola – That’s interesting, I have a 180mm disk about to become redundant so I may see about putting on the cdf.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Does this fit the bill Al? Prototype Ti Pompetamime?

I just stumbled across this on the On-One flickr page. Seems to tick all of the boxes (except perhaps price). Presumably lighter than steel, got disc mounts, and seems to have rack mounts for touring duties too.

No idea about the background though – hopefully it is possibly going into production.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

‘Waves back at Hounsy’

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Light steel disc cross frames’ is closed to new replies.