Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Libraries and Cyclists
  • rootes1

thoughts in general:

Question:
    Do you think people who use Libraries are also more inclined to be cyclists?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

No, but I do think that people who use libraries are more inclined to be readers

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

and pensioners too

cynic-al
    Free Member

yes, definitely.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Real ale and steam engines

samuri
    Free Member

Top Tip: Libraries are great places to pick up unsatisfied women.

Well, they used to be anyway. I expect with this new fangled internetworking stuff they can attempt to better their lives using a computer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are unsatisfied women looking for more-unsatisfaction? I’m there!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m an expert at providing dissatisfaction?

samuri
    Free Member

Ooh, I never thought about providing satisfaction for them, that’s a novel concept.

rootes1

hmm was hoping for more constructive comments, but perhaps the eggnog is getting in the way..

this looks of interest though + plus nice pic 😉
    http://www.cyclingforlibraries.org/2010/12/23/305/

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

hmm was hoping for more constructive comments………this looks of interest though + plus nice pic

Presumably you haven’t seen or read my post. Maybe “reading” isn’t your cup of tea ?

Philby

Sudden rush of British mountain bikers signing up for a ride from Copenhagen to Berlin in late May 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Do you think people who use Libraries are also more inclined to be cyclists?

Probably, I imagine many users fall into either too poor/tight to buy a book – too poor/tight to run a car, or buying a booking when you can borrow one is excess consumption – driving a car when you can cycle is excess consumption.

O
    Free Member

Libraries are boring.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Part of my job is surveying for (urban) cycle routes and collecting data on cycling infrastructure.

One place you can *almost* guarantee to find cycle parking stands is outside public libraries.

Nine-times-out-of-ten they’ll be empty, mind…

😀

rootes1

hmm was hoping for more constructive comments………this looks of interest though + plus nice pic
    Presumably you haven’t seen or read my post. Maybe “reading” isn’t your cup of tea ?

this looks of interest though + plus nice pic
    http://www.cyclingforlibraries.org/2010/12/23/305/

Ernie,

Clearly I had “read” your post as I quoted your link, and as stated after reading it was of interest (and not just because of the picture) ;-). Though Students are a special case (weridly I drove more when i was a student..)

The reason I ask is that looks like a number of Libraries may pass from LA control into local groups control.

Struck me that a cycle recycle scheme / simple cycle repair / secure cycle storage might be a good thing to tie into Libraries as a way of extending their service on the basis that library users may also be cyclists. Not sure Why I think that, but just seems to tie up.

We have a cycle recycle scheme Woking (well think it is still going?), but it is quite inaccessible and they do not even advertise bikes they are selling.. if the scheme was based in or with a library in a more central location it would be more accessible and then potential more successful (not saying current operation is not btw).

Cheers
    Si

O
    Free Member

looks like a number of Libraries may pass from LA control into local groups control.

Dunno about that, this lot aren’t so keen.

rootes1

could happen..

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23897532-independence-shows-way-to-save-libraries.do (yes I know it is the ES and thus a little pro tory..)

not saying it is a good idea, but a indy library might be better than no library at all..

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23909459-ex-city-mans-plan-for-eco-libraries.do

though my idea for cycle related stuff could happen in either case / LA or indy

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Clearly I had “read” your post as I quoted your link

Ah right sorry……….didn’t realise you were quoting me. Obviously “secure cycle storage” is always a good idea, although I can’t say the same about handing over libraries to community groups staffed by volunteers. I very much doubt that it is motivated by a desire to achieve an enhanced library service.

rootes1

that is ok i’ll let you off 😆

rOcKeTdOg

i want one of those AD/HD patches

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Libraries and Cyclists’ is closed to new replies.