• This topic has 28 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Letting a room with a platform bed
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

If you were renting a room in a shared flat, would a platform bed be a positive of put you off? I.e. a bit more space in the room (which in may case is not tiny) but the “downside” of the platform bed?

althepal

Prob depends on the type of tenant you want in and their attitude/outlook. Ten years ago in my mid 20s that would have been fine, fun even. Space is good.
    But now I’m a bit more grown up, older etc, nah not for me. Not long term anyway..
    I would say if that’s all you’ve got and space is poss an issue, say that to prospective tenants, but if it’s a deal breaker, you might need to shell out for a more conventional single or double..
    I lived in rented rooms in different places through most of my twenties so have a bit of perspective on this!

donsimon
    Free Member

Why don’t you change things around and you move into the room with the platform bed and let out your current bedroom?

cynic-al
    Free Member

TTa….to explain…I don’t have the platform bed yet, just wondering if it would be worth having. There’s 3 rooms and I already let 1 (the room in question in fact), I wondered if I could get a bit more £ with the platform bed in.

Tenants..dunno what kind, there is a University nearby, but I’m out of town so otherwise it’s likely to be someone working in the area I think (current tenant does so).

DS that is one option, and I’d quite like the platform bed, but my room is waaaay nicer – huge, big windaes, walk-in cupboard off that’s soon to be an ensuite. I might do that long term if I need (and could get) the £ for it. Needs decorating though.

donsimon
    Free Member

I might do that long term if I need (and could get) the £ for it

Which at least answers two of the questions.
    The how can I get money quickly and easily question and the am I asking someone to do something that I’m not prepared to do myself question. 😀
    Don’t Ikea have a range of platform beds for the modern young bachelor pad? If they can see a market, there must be punters out there.

konabunny
    Free Member

I wondered if I could get a bit more £ with the platform bed in.

Some people might but to me it sounds immediately a bit Heath Robinson/”genius invention”/weird. Puts me in mind of a landlord that says stuff like “and the great thing I’ve put a hatch on the boiler so we can use it to warm the house AND cook our food!!!”. Might be just me, though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks gents. I like my room and I think I’d be content in the middle room if it had the platform bed, but the Q becomes “could I get a premium rent for the biggest room” and I don’t know the answer….so it’d be a bit of a gamble.

An ex had a platform bed in her flat, had been put in by previous owners, so I guess it’s acceptable to some.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

What’s a platform bed?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

imagine bringing a one-night stand back to your room and explaining that she is going to have to climb up to the platform bed…

Plus certain positions would be a no-no.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

One of these?

I rent, I’d turn it down

hels
    Free Member

I have heard, from a friend, that platform beds can creak somewhat.

You probably need planning permission, but the application of some back-handers to Edinburgh Council should sort that. You could invite them to your Platform Warming Party ??

binners

one of these:

binners

Why not go the whole hog

CaptJon
    Free Member

I reckon you could end up limiting yourself to students and/or the desperate.

GW
    Free Member

Al – you’ve clearly never had sex

..in a platform bed 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

GW – Member
    Al – you’ve clearly never had sex
    ..in a platform bed

[quote]cynic-al – Member

An ex had a platform bed in her flat[/quote]

GrahamS

No idea what a “platform bed” is and a Google Image search produces a lot of things that just look like beds to me. If it’s one of those half-bunk beds then no I wouldn’t rent a flat with that in it.

But if you’re short on space then I recommend an ottoman-style storage bed.

http://www.thestoragebed.co.uk/

If its for a rental then IKEA do a reasonably cheap one (£140) that we have in our spare room: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00098884

binners

That ottoman-style storage bed looks like it was involved in the making of this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4wm6TGNik[/video]

jon1973
    Free Member

A few more pounds, eh??

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta GrahamS, that’s helpful.

chvck
    Free Member

Platform beds sounds OK to me but I’d want a staircase not a ladder (I’d fall off it drunk). At this point any space saving is probably destroyed!

sweepy
    Free Member

Id have the one with the slide, otherwise no

Cougar

I think if I was renting a bedsit type place, it’d be a brilliant idea. If I was renting a flat (where space was less of a premium) I’d say less so.

Maybe what you want to get is a sofa-bed?

b1galus
    Free Member

i think they are a great idea and will be looking for somewhere to live come the spring, it creates more space for bikes underneath

kayak23

Your problem stems from terminology. By simply calling this ‘platform bed’ a Mezzanine, you will attract all manner of well-heeled sophisticates…
    Hope that helps.

andyl
    Free Member

I was thinking mezzanine too. How high is the room? Could you build a platform with bed and bedside table on and call it a mezzanine bed? Obviously not expecting room to stand up but might look better than a platform bed.

But on another note – having people live with you in your own house – yuck.

GrahamS

Perhaps a Mezzanine Couch as well?

gusamc
    Free Member

try an ad in trainspotter monthly

nonk
    Free Member

come on that couch is awesome. 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Letting a room with a platform bed’ is closed to new replies.