Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Let's talk hard disk partitioning……….
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

My Vista laptop is filling up fast.

When I check the hard drive it's beed divided into two, Vista (C) and Data (E). Both are 92 gb and both have only 20 gb left.

First question, What is on Data (E)? And why is it the same size as C

Second question, Can I get an external HD, back up all my pics, music and docs on to it and then remove E on my laptop?

Go ahead geeks, make my day!

BB

simonlovell999
    Free Member

you can get a external hard drive, maybe a 500gb. depends whats on e. look at all files, some hidden and what takes up a load of space

dawson

1. it will be one hard drive that has been partitioned in half.

Is there some built in back up software that is backing up your data to the E: drive?

Having a separate partition can be 'a good thing' – if the C: drive ever fails, storing your data on a separate partition means you stand a better chance of recovering the data.

Get a USB external HDD and dump your stuff on that first

Yes, you could use the drive management tool in Vista and delete E: and then tell it to increase the size of C: to fill up the whole drive. I'd make sure you have a back up of your data before doing this.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Having a separate partition can be 'a good thing' – if the C: drive ever fails, storing your data on a separate partition means you stand a better chance of recovering the data.

Not if its the same physical drive it wont

iain1775
    Free Member

Yes, you could use the drive management tool in Vista and delete E: and then tell it to increase the size of C: to fill up the whole drive. I'd make sure you have a back up of your data before doing this.

I have a similar problem, any instructions on how to do this?

richmars

You need to check what's on E:
    It could be a mirror of C as a backup (not too clever if it's the same physical drive).
    Find out where all your docs and photos are. Open up 'Computer' on the start menu and double click on the C: drive (maybe called Local Disk (C:)).

Look for a folder called 'Users'. There's a good chance all your stuff will be in there, in a folder with your user name. Do the same for drive E and see what's taking up space on both partitions.
    Best option is to keep you stuff on C: or E:, and copy it all onto an external drive.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Let's talk hard disk partitioning……….’ is closed to new replies.