Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Lets talk State Benefits
  • grantway
    Free Member

Whats your views

scaredypants

there are some, but also some risks

winstonsmith

most people know very little about state benefits in this country yet have loud opinions

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s for cheats and foreigners.

Fundamentally unBritish.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I like the ones I get and wholeheartedly disapprove of those I don’t get.

Thread closed 🙄

vinnyeh

I guess they vary from job to job.

druidh
    Free Member

Apparently, 3″ more makes for faster rolling.

Junkyard
    Free Member

concerns me less than tax evasion/avoidance

druidh
    Free Member

Ooh – get him changing the thread title. Luckily, we can still see the original in the URL.

vinnyeh

title edit. 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Let’s talk State Benefits

In fairness, let’s not.

druidh
    Free Member

Perhaps the OP would like to lead the discussion?

Lifer
    Free Member

Yeah OP, what do you think?

Coyote
    Free Member

As someone who worked full time for 27 years then spent 6 months unemployed following redundancy, I would say that there is a lot of bollocks talked about state benefits from those who have no direct experience and get their information direct from the Daily Heil. It is not what some would like to believe.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They are a damned good thing. For those that need/deserve them. We should protect that at all costs.

winstonsmith

so flashheart, who gets to decide who are people that need/deserve benefits?

vinnyeh

is that need or deserve, or need and deserve?

wors

They are a damned good thing. For those that need/deserve them. We should protect that at all costs

Agreed , but then there’s the people like who i saw at today whilst out getting my dinner, 2 lads walked in to the shop, put 4 3 litre bottles of strongbow on the counter saying he was having a good afternoon, he also said he had already had a 3 litre bottle before coming out, this was at 1 o clock 😯 . Why should taxes be paid to people like that when they have no intention of getting a job. If they are going to piss it up the wall then at least buy something decent!

br
    Free Member

ok, I’ll bite – how about getting rid of all non-means tested benefits?

MSP

Agreed , but then there’s the people like who i saw at today whilst out getting my dinner, 2 lads walked in to the shop, put 4 3 litre bottles of strongbow on the counter saying he was having a good afternoon, he also said he had already had a 3 litre bottle before coming out, this was at 1 o clock 8O. Why should taxes be paid to people like that when they have no intention of getting a job. If they are going to piss it up the wall then at least buy something decent!

Sounds like students.

wors

Beleive me, they weren’t students.

vinnyeh

Agreed , but then there’s the people like who i saw at today whilst out getting my dinner, 2 lads walked in to the shop, put 4 3 litre bottles of strongbow on the counter saying he was having a good afternoon, he also said he had already had a 3 litre bottle before coming out, this was at 1 o clock . Why should taxes be paid to people like that when they have no intention of getting a job. If they are going to piss it up the wall then at least buy something decent!

Where do you live? Much work round is there?

winstonsmith

why not get rid of all non means tested benefits?

as the majority are either paid to disabled people or as state pensions

Lifer
    Free Member

@wors

How do you know where they got their money from?

wors

Where do you live? Much work round is there?

Live in Bolton, work in Bury. Yes, lots of work.

How do you know where they got their money from?

Look they were scroats, chavs, scum.

Coyote
    Free Member

As I got a redundancy package I probably didn’t need[/i] JSA. However as a redundancy package is classed as compenstation for losing your job it was a benefit I was deemed deserving of.

JSA is jackshit in terms of supporting a family so I lived off the redundancy. By the time I was back in work there was very little left.

I can see this thread turning into a benefits bash-fest. I’d just say that they aren’t all they are cracked up to be.

MSP

ah good, well balanced reasoning.

Coyote
    Free Member

ok, I’ll bite – how about getting rid of all non-means tested benefits?

I’d say that the manpower required to make means testing efficient would outweigh the cost of the current system, although there is a certain amount of means testing in place now.

Nice.

MSP

As I got a redundancy package I probably didn’t need JSA. However as a redundancy package is classed as compenstation for losing your job it was a benefit I was deemed deserving of.

JSA is jackshit in terms of supporting a family so I lived off the redundancy. By the time I was back in work there was very little left.

I can see this thread turning into a benefits bash-fest. I’d just say that they aren’t all they are cracked up to be.

When I got made redundant my redundancy package was 2 weeks wages, I was out of work for 5 months, it left me financially crippled.

Coyote
    Free Member

You have my very sincere, genuine sympathies. Your example also lays to ghost the myths about easy living on benefits.

carbon337
    Free Member

BBC 2 now may raise some different opinions on both sides of the bench.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

BBC2 now

Look forward to seeing people with attitudes that apparently don’t exist 😆

druidh
    Free Member

winstonsmith – Member
    why not get rid of all non means tested benefits?

Indeed. I’ve never understood why child benefit is paid regardless of need. We don’t claim child Tax Credits either – although we qualify.

Is the cost of means testing really more than the cost of paying those not in need?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why child benefit is paid regardless of need

Prizes for all……

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why child benefit is paid regardless of need

Stopping in England if there’s a 40% tax rate payer in da hoose.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I haven’t had any state benefits since 1986 so I couldn’t even tell you what there is.

Obviously I make use of the NHS when I have to, but otherwise it seems to be all one-way traffic

winstonsmith

so flashheart, are you any further on in working out who need/deserve benefits?

winstonsmith

druidh – really? you’re entitled to tax credits? i thought you’d have too high a household income for much child tax credit. you seem far too well off 😮

Stoner
    Free Member

Indeed. I’ve never understood why child benefit is paid regardless of need.

widening the electorate to whom benefits are paid gets “buy in” from those that might otherwise not have much support for them.

druidh
    Free Member

winstonsmith – Member
    druidh – really? you’re entitled to tax credits? i thought you’d have too high a household income for much child tax credit. you seem far too well off

I think we’re due £40-odd per month??? Remember, we might have no mortgage, but we’re not high income.

PS – no bottles of champers hidden away either!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Lets talk State Benefits’ is closed to new replies.