Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Lets see your I9 wheelsets
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

Hi guys,

To celebrate the ordering of my new frame I'm going to perchase some new wheels.

Particulally interested in I9 wheels, or perhaps ck hubs as long as they are green.

And tlr no its not bronze

cullen-bay
    Free Member

To celebrate the ordering of my new frame I'm going to perchase some new wheels.

And to celebrate your new wheels, a new drive train? and to celebrate the new drivetrain maybe some control components? wait… thats just custom building a new bike. 😳 🙂

matthew_h
    Free Member

I've got a pair of I9 classic hubs on Flow rims but I'm guessing you are more interested in the proprietary spoked versions

ianpinder
    Free Member

That i have not decided, I want the quick engaugement, however the straight pull spokes do look nice

matthew_h
    Free Member

The straight pulls look great and build a really, really stiff wheel but are difficult to build and being specific to that rim/hub combo can lead to issues further down the line. You should get spares though so not too bad a problem

ianpinder
    Free Member

yeah if i do get the straight pull i'll buy 1/2 a wheels worth of spare spokes. the spokes are expensive to

matthew_h
    Free Member

There's two different lengths of spoke per wheels set usually so make sure you get both lengths. The lead times can be hideously long with i9 though and as the spokes are so specific it might not be that easy to buy extra spokes

matthew_h
    Free Member
    GW
    Free Member

not being cheeky Ian but do I9 actually reccomended their wheels for heavy riders? Personally I wouldn't touch them and i'm nowhere near your weight.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Not a problem GW, I'm 18.5 stone and I'd be perfectly happy to ride the straight pull versions. The stiffest wheels I've ever built.

ianpinder
    Free Member

18.5 st doesn't quite cover me. 🙄

And I can't take you seriously gw since you reccomended 5.1 😆 However I don't see why it would be a problem, why won't you touch them, I might get ck wheels from america, however the f and r hubs don't match and that bugs me

GW
    Free Member

can I ask how and where you ride Matthew?

I'm sure if looked after, they'll do fine for most folk, the biggest reason I would avoid them is because DHing (especially in the UK) spokes get a lot of scratches and minor damage (more from other bikes in uplift trucks than riding/crashing) so may become weakened far more easily than a DB SS spoke, secondly they will be a total PITA to get spares while away anywhere.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I see you are a bit bigger than me. I still think you'd probably be ok but can't say for sure. They are stiff and have some advantanges over normal spokes that might be benificial to you.

matthew_h
    Free Member

GW, I ride all sorts, lots in the Peak District and Wharncliffe and some DH racing. I know a few people who have used the wheels for seasons of DH and the Mega Avalanche etc and they seem good to me. They're not my size though. Your last point is one of the reasons why I went with the classic hubs though.

GW
    Free Member

Don't suppose you could bring yourself to get ProIIs (green if you must)DT SS DB spokes on your favourite dependable rim?

ianpinder
    Free Member

GW, I won't be riding dh on them, these are going to be my lkightweight wheel set. However your are right, as (nearly 😉 ) always.

ianpinder
    Free Member

The green is wrong on the hopes. however I don't want the hopes on my normal bike, as the pro11 sound bugs the **** out of me.

toons
    Free Member

I've been using them for a couple of years now.

Got two sets of enduro's, one with DT 5.1 & the other Stans Arch rims, I'll dig out some photos.

toons
    Free Member

I bought the 5.1's 3 years ago.

High Res

High Res

High Res

High Res

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Lets see your I9 wheelsets’ is closed to new replies.