Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Let's make Britain great again.
  • nick1962
    Free Member

epicyclo

Aristotle – Member
    …The relative lack of day-to-day and large-scale corruption in the UK is interesting.

Large scale at the top end is blatantly obvious. The middle classes aren’t though. One of the nice things about Britain is the basic decency of most people.

slowoldman

When it comes to greatness, the last time the UK demonstrated that was the Falklands War IMO.

I have to admit to feeling proud at the time of what our forces achieved down there. But, I think it’s a shame that greatness is so often linked with military prowess.

crikey
    Free Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/amina-al-jeffery-saudi-arabia-british-welsh-father-cage-judge-legal-court-swansea-a7162821.html

This kind of challenge makes us great.

…and I’d stand in line to kick him in the nuts until my foot was sore.

epicyclo

slowoldman – Member
    …I think it’s a shame that greatness is so often linked with military prowess.

I was living in Australia at the time. None of the media gave the UK a chance. It may have been a military action, but the response of the country to adversity raised the UK’s plummeting prestige in at least our part of the world.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Well its a shame this how the world perceives us just now:

Meanwhile, the world stares at Britain and sees a drunk, dank rock crawling with Shrek-faced bigots and delusional schoolboys in grownup suits

ninfan
    Free Member

No, thats how a not very good Scottish novelist who writes for the Guardian sees us

If you look at more impartial sources, like those that are actually from abroad, then you will see that the reaction is generally, well, mixed, but certainly not all negative:

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2016/06/28/world-reacts-to-brexit-vox-pops-sdg-orig.cnn/video/playlists/intl-brexit/

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Nipper99 – Member
    Well its a shame this how the world perceives us just now:

Meanwhile, the world stares at Britain and sees a drunk, dank rock crawling with Shrek-faced bigots and delusional schoolboys in grownup suits
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

Rather a bizarre comment to say this is how the world perceives us “just now” backed up with a rather puerile piece from a rather puerile writer in a rapidly declining newspaper.

As a more serious genuine and truly observant social commentator would say :

“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.”

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Let's make Britain great again.’ is closed to new replies.