Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lets have a frozen planet thread
  • billysugger
    Free Member

Tonight Sir Attenborough spent a couple of minutes waxing lyrical about Scott (superhuman explorer no doubt) but then merely mentioned the name of Roal Amundsen, the first leader to reach the south pole.

He was also jin-going on about Shackleton who’s overland crossing of Antarctica was strongly motivated by £.

Am I being oversensitive?

I had him down to save us all.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

That hut of Scott’s was pretty cool though, eh?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I thought it was balanced. And that spaceship thing on the pole is co-named? I do think that we (mankind) are realistically there (and claiming to get along) because of money – land claims or minerals etc.

I liked the Colemans mustard, Fry’s chocolate 100 year old thing. We’ve not moved on that much eh?

billysugger
    Free Member

I agree coulda.

Although kids today wouldn’t believe you if you told them the ‘well to do’ used to pay to go to the Arctic to shoot polar bears.

Not much really changes, just the way the stories are told.

Innes
    Free Member

That guy getting birds eggs has a head for heights!

djglover
    Free Member

the best of the series apart from the 1st one

Ambrose

Stunning cinematography yet again. The nocturnal shots from the Scott Amundsen Base were breathtaking.

A good balance I’d say, possibly aimed at an English speaking audience, i.e. UK, USA, Aus, NZ. Beeb will make a packet off this series with sales to other networks I’m sure.

Do you think that the crew left their ropes etc with the locals once they returned back to the UK?

billysugger
    Free Member

I’m presuming people who are liking Frozen Planet have read Endurance..humbling

CountZero

Brilliant episode. The guy climbing the cliff made me cringe. Still, it’s not heights that are the problem, it’s the sudden stop at the bottom that’s the real issue.
    The ice crystals in the caves were fabulous too. Astonishing cinematography, as always.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Is that Mash quote a Levinson enquiry allegation. If so – I believe it. Honestly. It’s in the papers. It must be true!

billysugger
    Free Member

That’s disgusting.

Tesco own brand ffs

kimbers

beautiful tv

theres a story on the torygraph about how its all just propoganda for attenboroughs global warming agenda

duckman

Frozen planet has been a father/Son thing for my 9 y o and I on Thursdays as it is on too late for him. I will be looking forward to tonight based on the above. Good work STW hive 😀

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve really enjoyed the series so far but I wish they’d be a bit less heavy handed with the music- clownish music when polar bear cubs are falling about, romantic music when bears are mating. Dumbs it down a bit for me, the animals don’t need to be anthropomorphized.

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve been watching it on iplayer on BBC HD… makes my projector worthwhile 🙂

Haven’t watched the Scott one yet.

Dave

psling
    Free Member

There has never been any commercial mining in Antarctica, there are no current plans to mine Antarctica and mining is currently completely banned by the Antarctic Treaty. There are no known future plans by any of the Antarctic Treaty nations to reverse this decision.

When the original Antarctic Treaty was signed in 1959, the exploitation of resources was not discussed at all for fear of jeopardizing the Treaty. In the 1980’s the issues were raised again, and led eventually to the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty (an addition to the treaty).

The Madrid Protocol was signed in 1991 by the signatories to the Antarctic Treaty banning mining, this is up for review in 2041.

The Madrid Protocol became law in January 1998, it sets out the principles under which environmental protection in Antarctica is to be regulated. This includes a ban on all commercial mining for at least fifty years. Though it might sound like an impressive piece of regulatory legislation, it was quite clear before it became law that there was no real commercial interest in mining or oil exploration in Antarctica for the foreseeable future.

Agree with Ambrose; some of the nocturnal shots were amazing.

The guy going over the cliff, I believe there is a similar annual event (for young birds, not eggs) that goes on in the Western Isles (Scotland).

maxray
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it, couldn’t help an urge to have a simple life like the inuit, I know its a hard subsistence life like..

lunge

Stunning, stunning programme, the whole series has been brilliant. Last nights also helped me decide that I want to go somewhere really northern for my honeymoon like Greenland.

philconsequence
    Free Member

the music anthropomorphizing the animals keeps mrsconsequence interested and adds a comedic touch at times… i’m not complaining 🙂 beautiful series, beautifully shot and another jewel in the bbc nature crown for me!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lets have a frozen planet thread’ is closed to new replies.