Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • les arcs – trail addiction – anyone been ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

me n the missus are looking at going to les arcs next year with trail addiction – the many guides different levels attracted us as im much more technical riding orientated than mrs trailrat who just likes climbing(sadist) and more open trails – although we are working on it!

any reports good or bad on accomodation/food/trails before we book?

steveh

It’s amazing. I’ve been with them 3 times and had a great trip every time. I’ve stayed at the goat shed and Gordon is a great cook, you’ll never leave hungry and the food is delicious. The trails are also fantastic, so many singletrack descents it’s amazing. You do need a guide to find the best stuff as it’s mainly walking paths etc.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve been and as above its great. However, it is mostly steep and technical. “XC” out there simply means you cycle up to the steep technical descents rather than get the chairlift. So it might be a bit much for a less confident rider. The guides there did say they do occasionally get people who hate it – usually someone’s partner who’s been dragged out there!

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah – when i say less technical minded shes still a very capible rider.

im just ex downhiller so i like very technical descents (and climbs for that matter)

climbing up and riding down is perfect

im sold – she was keen from the off – i just cant see past all the reports i get back from my mates about bike village being ace – i just dont see it being suitable for her from what they tell me !

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hi mate. I went this year. Definitely more in the way of steep technical trails rather than open flowy stuff (although there is some of the latter, just not so much that we did anyway). Trail Addiction guys are great & very good riders. Superb food & accommodation in their big chalet. Amazing scenery. Lots of photos in my facebook album that you should be able to see

Highly recommended. You’ll have some of the rides of your life.

trail_rat
    Free Member

will i be requiring suspension on ze bicycle ? – would a 4 inch front tire suffice ? my non carbon frame wont take a sus fork …..

dont fancy taking carbon on a plane – and it only fits narrow tires !

pedalhead
    Free Member

I would definitely be wanting some proper squish on the front. Having said that, I guess it could be “entertaining” on a rigid bike 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    … mrs trailrat who just likes climbing(sadist) and more open trails – although we are working on it! …

just a guess, a wild stab in the dark, but, does she ride an xc bike with: a steep head angle, a really long stem, light (nervous) wheels, and skinny light xc tyres pumped up to 60psi?*

if you can answer yes to any of the above questions, i think i may be able to help her confidence.

feel free to tell me to sod off and keep my nose out of your business.

‘Les arcs**’ is ace – but most of the obvious trails are a bit ‘serious’ – so a guide would be good to show mrstrailrat the more swoopy trails.

(*it’s not funny how often i see this in the alps)

(**bourg st maurice / tarentaise valley / peisey / vallandry / rosetier-whatever)

trail_rat
    Free Member

mrs TRs bike …. 2.25inch tires on there too – its more my bike im worried about – my most suitable bike is a gary fisher rig ….

we will be going for guides … another couple of the guys and girls going with the group are similar to her.

radoggair
    Free Member

My turner 5 spot is available for you trailrat if you want it, dont know if it would be to small for you ( a medium), but if not then its all yours

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s very nice, but…

i can see light wheels, short forks, steep head angle, anna long stem.

it’s very nice, and i bet it’s lovely for riding up hills, which is fine, but there are a few ‘tweaks’ that would make it less scary for riding down an alp…

i look at that bike, and i see a nice xc race bike*, and one thing about xc race bikes is that they need lots of skill, and confidence to ride down hills. if mrstrailrat like riding it then she has a lot more skill than we/you/she give her credit for.

something like this is closer to what i’d have in mind:

i will shut my face now, i’ve said enough.

(*yes, even the tyres)

andylaightscat
    Free Member

BV would be fine for other half,you don’t have to take the van/chair uplift as the guides will ride the ups(it’s not all fire roads)if you want,all depends how fit you really are.
    Getting back down can be swoopy/flowing or steep/techy or a mix depends what suits the guests rather than it’s tuesday so we do this ride approach

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye but we are xc racers.

not buying a pair of bikes just for going out there …. YET 😉

we are going with a group of riders of varying ability.

she has alot of skill – its just that trails i enjoy she would not so going out in different groups would be ideal.

willsimmons
    Free Member

No experience of TA, but have been with BV a couple of times, and also been back guideless which is fine if you know where you are going.

I would say that my experience of BV was that they do cater pretty well for all types of rider, certainly so when I have been. BV only take 12 guests per week as well so if you have a reasonable sized group you have a pretty good chance of being able to do what suits your group, as opposed to having to fit in with a larger group of guests of varying ability. How many of you are there? I would suggests contacting BV and saying how many people you have, and what kind of riding you want to do. Chances are if you book now they can cater that week for your group so you know what you’ll be getting before you turn up.

You also don’t need a slack angled 6″ travel hardtail. Just some skills. I can’t ride everything there but seem to manage fine on my 29er, and the stuff I can’t ride wouldn’t be any different on another bike I don’t think.

br
    Free Member

We went with TA a few years ago, great time was had.

As for which bike, the most ‘XC’ in the group while we were there were a pair of Orange P7’s…

I had an 06 Enduro running 2.5 dual-ply tyres – I’d happily go on my 140mm HT, but would add stronger tyres and larger rotors.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is this the same Mrs Trail_Rat that won solos at 10@Kirroughtree? The same one that would pwn most folk on this forum including me?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘les arcs – trail addiction – anyone been ?’ is closed to new replies.