Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Left an old fridge out last night
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Hoping that some scrap collector would take it away rather than me having to lug it to the tip.

Looked out side this morning to see that the grill and internals from the lower back of the fridge have been removed and the rest of the fridge left.

Anyone know why someone’s gone to effort to do that? I’m curious.

the-muffin-man

Because the rest of the fridge contains nasty chemicals!

Take it to your local tip to be disposed of properly.

edlong
    Free Member

You’ve fly tipped a fridge outside your own house?

sandwicheater

Our council (Kirklees) offers a free collection service for larger items such as fridges, mattresses, donkeys. May be worth checking if you can’t get it to the tip.

binners

I hope you’ve done the decent thing and left a piss-sodden mattress next to it, and put your car up on bricks

billytinkle
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call it fly tipping – well, not unless I can fly tip on my own property. There’s never a shortage of people wanting free stuff round my way.

It was in good working order when I put it out on our drive with a sign that said ‘free, please take’.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Fridges are a controlled waste, they are expensive to dispose of legally as a commercial undertaking big fines for handling waste without a licence. Its why you see them illegally dumped so often

The copper wire in the compressor on the other hand is worth something.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It was in good working order when I put it out on our drive with a sign that said ‘free, please take’.

Perhaps FreeCycle would have been a better idea.

richc
    Free Member

As other has said they have taken the metal as its worth something, whereas the plastic is worth nothing.

On the plus side at least the remains haven’t ended up in a ditch somewhere or dumped in a layby by some cheeky chappies.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, everyday is a school day. Will get it down the tip later today.

konabunny
    Free Member

The refrigerants are massively polluting greenhouse gases. It has to be disassembled in a way to capture (and reuse) the gas.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ a Hammer and a few blows will cure this..

tiggs121
    Free Member

You should have put a sign on it saying ” For Sale – £50″ It would have been gone in the morning!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, everyday is a school day. Will get it down the tip later today.

Get the council to take it away for nowt. Just hope they don’t take 3 weeks like they did with ours…

johndoh
    Free Member

Get the council to take it away for nowt.[/quote]

Depends on your local council – ours charges for the service….
    The current cost is £36.40 for up to two items. However, the cost is reduced to £15.90 if you are in receipt of certain benefits

And they have just started charging even if you take certain things to the recycling centre – charge per the sackful for thinks like glass, rubble, ceramics, plasterboard etc.

Pardon the pun, but it’s rubbish.

Nobby

Schoolboy error!

You should have put a sign on it saying ” For Sale – £50″ It would have been gone in the morning!

Correct.

Round here it’s a guaranteed way of getting rid of anything – don’t even need a price, a simple”For Sale” sign does the trick.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pardon the pun, but it’s rubbish.

Yep. Dammit, people should do stuff for us FOR FREE!

martinhutch

patriotpro
    Free Member

^^^Oooof!^^^ That’s gotta hurt 8)

Besides, the council collecting it for free will be cheaper than them having to collect it when fly-tipped, smashed in to a hundred bits by the local young uns.

Flaperon

Put a sign on it saying “£150, enquire within” and hope someone nicks it?

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t think the staff at the recycling centre should charge for me to dispose of, say, an old toilet even though I took it there myself. Do you?

konabunny
    Free Member

does the old toilet just sit on the forecourt of the tip where you left it for the rest of time, then?

bikebouy – Member
    ^^ a Hammer and a few blows will cure this..
    POSTED 8 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

if you’re a dickhead, absolutely. also, why not pour engine oil in the drain for easy disposal?

Pigface
    Free Member

why not pour engine oil in the drain for easy disposal

I know that is meant in jest but dont even put the ideas in peoples heads.

I spent most of Sunday looking for just this problem.

gonzy
    Free Member

Manchester City Council offer this to all residents…

You can have one free collection, of up to three items, every year between 1 April and 31 March. It’s £27 for four to six items.
    If you have already had a collection in the year, it’s £27 for up to three items and £54 for between four and six.

EDIT: if its going to the tip then the door should be taken off its hinges just in case some errant child/youth sneaks into the tip and climbs inside

jon1973
    Free Member

Get the council to take it away for nowt.

Our local council charges us – unless you’re on the social, in which case it’s free.

TooTall
    Free Member

Amazing. Proper waste management and disposal has a cost. Who’d have thunk it?

Factoid for you. The UK didn’t get into recycling in such a big way a few years ago because it wanted to ‘do the right thing’. It was calculated that the UK was 6 years off capacity for landfill at the pre-recycling rate. 6 years off topping out the landfill sites.

It’s a small island and you keep buying more and more crap and disposing of a lot of it. It costs more to deal with that crap. You pay. That’s how it is.

bland

Factoid for you. The UK didn’t get into recycling in such a big way a few years ago because it wanted to ‘do the right thing’. It was calculated that the UK was 6 years off capacity for landfill at the pre-recycling rate. 6 years off topping out the landfill sites.

Which is bull sh1t as most sites are closing with loads of void remaining as there is more competition for the waste and prices are driven into the ground. Landfills are great if well managed, free source of power for years and a masssively rich source or REE’s, however the government fail to mention the power generation side of things ever, instead build, or lose hundreds of millions coming up with plans to build waste to energy plants.

Pigface
    Free Member

Which is bull sh1t as most sites are closing with loads of void remaining as there is more competition for the waste and prices are driven into the ground. Landfills are great if well managed, free source of power for years and a masssively rich source or REE’s, however the government fail to mention the power generation side of things ever, instead build, or lose hundreds of millions coming up with plans to build waste to energy plants.

Whis as you so eloquently put it bull sh1t as well. Landfill vary greatly in their ability to produce gas, you still have to deal with leachate which is very nasty stuff. As NIMBYism grows trying to find places to put new landfill sites is getting harder. Current landfills are in decline.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Get the council to take it away for nowt.

Our local council charges us – unless you’re on the social, in which case it’s free.

Ours doesn’t, im not and it is.

It’s OK if you can afford to get it taken away or take it yourself but what if you can’t on both counts… What then… Fly-tipping…? In which case the council will have to remove it anyway and for nowt.

digga
    Free Member

why not pour engine oil in the drain for easy disposal?

Because I save all mine up for trips to the beach. The seabirds love it. I saw a documentary about it once.

johndoh
    Free Member

I remain pissed off that my council, besides charging for taking stuff away for us, charge to dispose of many ‘normal’ household things at recycling centres too (toilets, tiles, mirrors, plasterboard, rubble etc). Then try to put a positive spin on saying ‘we’ve lifted the restriction on how much you can dispose of’.

I bet you have, when you charge around £2,000 to dispose of a standard skip full of plasterboard.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Plasterboard – the sulpahtes in plasterboard mean it can’t be disposed of in normal landfill and either a special cell has to be constructed within the landfill to dispose of it or it has to be recycled, which is an expensive process – that’s why it was £2k.

johndoh
    Free Member

Or £200 if I hire a skip (and not have to take it to the recycling centre in the first place…)

Drac

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuwp7x_IiZ4[/video]

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Your skip operator will
    1. make a loss
    2. have a very favourable arrangement with a recycler
    3. fly tip it.
    4. Illegally ‘dress’ the loads they take to the tip to hide the plasterboard

Probably 4

mudshark
    Free Member

Perhaps FreeCycle would have been a better idea.

It does annoy me that most don’t bother trying to find a new home for useable stuff; reuse is better than recycle is better than dumping right?

Some struggling family could be using that fridge now.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Left an old fridge out last night’ is closed to new replies.