Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lake District trail access
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Up in Keswick on a family holiday last week and couldn’t help noticing enticing ribbons of potential trail coming off the hills surrounding the town, particularly on the hills to the east (I think) of Derwentwater. So, what is the score with access? Ride everything providing you’re courteous to walkers and use a bit of common sense to stay off heavily used walker routes…or… likely to get shouted at and you’re not allowed to ride anything bar bridleways? I would likely be on my own so don’t want to get into anything too far afield from the town.

lowey

Never had any problems with sympathetic cheek in that area.

Just dont be a dick about it. (ie catbells on a Saturday afternoon)

sofatester
    Free Member

Ride everything providing you’re courteous to walkers and use a bit of common sense to stay off heavily used walker routes

This.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Common sense +1
    My usual tact is to take the family for a walk on the interesting looking stuff to scope it out, then return either early morning or late afternoon.

If you need specific advice, you could try asking this lot:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/LDMBA/

Gotama
    Free Member

Great, thanks, definitely worth taking the bike next time then as I should be able to escape early morning.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

All you need to know

Sandwich

Many footpaths across NT land now have permissive access as it became their policy 3 or 4 years ago. A check with them can be helpful.

teethgrinder

Is that the Borrowdale Bash loop?

boxelder

ir-bandito – you’ve missed a good stretch there

thekettle
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate just how busy the the hills close to Keswick get with walkers on a summer weekend or sunny day. The Coledale/Newlands fells are considerably quieter than the Borrowdale/Skiddaw/Blencathra ones (except the Braithwaite-Grizedale Pike path). Before 9am/after 7pm they’re all pretty deserted (light till 10pm!). Catbells is a recipe for upset, particularly since a recent Hope photo-shoot on it’s footpaths.
    The official score is Bridleways only, but as others have said common sense and just being lovely to everyone does wonders for access.

TomB

I live here, and ride wherever, at sensible times of day, which a cheery smile and a “give way to anyone on foot” approach. Never had a single problem. Most footpaths here are well built and rocky due to the number of walkers, so are eminently suitable for biking.

Ir bandito, avoid the road climb to start Walla crag by going up the FP from the end on springs road, past the phone mast, up to Rakefoot.

boxelder

Don’t give up beta so easily Tom.

thekettle
    Free Member

What boxelder said ^^
    I live here too, work in the hills every day (with many walkers). Don’t assume you’re not highly visible/pissing people off just because they don’t confront you! Landowners may not be bothered but the walking fraternity are exceptionally powerful when it comes to lobbying and politics – tread lightly please to preserve our good relations with all hill users 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lake District trail access’ is closed to new replies.