Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Lee Quarry Race 2 feedback
  • Brownbacks
    Free Member

what did you like, what didn’t you like?

any constructive comments welcome

if you don’t want to post please email ino@brownbacksracing.co.uk

race 3 on the 17th!!

Alphabet

Hi. I was there taking pictures as my g/f was racing. Not many in the end as I had a camera malfunction. I’ll email you a link after the weekend once I’ve uploaded them as I got a few random riders and a few of the start lineup.

wildrnes
    Free Member

I loved it, makes me want to do loads more now…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Good Event and well organised, thanks. Nice technical course with a gnarley decent on the other side. You need to get rid of the bit where you do the climb, turn back on your self for a short steel bit then have to get off and run up that small lump. The small lump was pointless IMO. Nice climb though.

Some of the non racers looked like they were “sandbagging” with the times posted, maybe set a “benchmark” time so the guys under 14 mins a lap have to enter the “racer” cat.at the next event. Oh and start the race from the carpark at the bottom, nice long climb to string it out before the narrow section. Cheers.

MrSparkle

I thought it was good, something a bit different. I think the rocky bit made people think a bit. Not so sure about a start from the car park at the bottom!
    Mr Sparkle – singlespeeder! Looking forward to the next one.

neil853
    Free Member

climb all the way from the car park! don’t think that would go down well ha ha i think we would be linched

terrahawk
    Free Member

did you have an ice cream van this time?

BadlyWiredDog

I thought it was great, I don’t really care about sandbagging but maybe you should make top three finishers in WW compete in Racer next round or something? Great course, nice atmosphere, friendly marshals. More rocky stuff would be good, nice to have to think a little 🙂

Matt, I was chatting to you post race about coming over and riding round your way some time, I mailed Amy last night and asked her to pass my e-mail address on, so will hopefully be in touch.

wildrnes
    Free Member

magic mate
    or you could add an s to my username at gmail 😉

bomberman
    Free Member

can i marshall at the next one please? emil address in profile.

am i right in thinking you get free entry into next race if you marshall?

neil853
    Free Member

bomberman – email the address on the brownbacks website and we’ll send you an info pack, yes you do get a free entry if you marshal, how’s that for a good deal!!!!!!!

bomberman
    Free Member

it’s a great deal 🙂

Brownbacks
    Free Member

the course changes each week to keep people interested and to respond to feedback.

we can’t start any lower on the hill due to the bridleway crossing at the gate

not much we can do about pot hunters, we are going to look at the structure of the prizes for any future series

no ice cream van, no sun either!

get your pre-entries in, there were no queues for pre-entered riders

http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk

course ideas welcome

trio25
    Free Member

I loved it, first xc race and I’ll be at the next one. I found the categories hard to work out, I’m no racer, but weekend warrior faster down than up – no I’m a wimp. But think it might have been unfair if I entered have-a-go hero!

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

doing the next one on my SS, even tho i have a BCF license, due to the fact im slow and riding one speed, can i drop to the weekend warrior cat?

trio25
    Free Member

More singlespeed competition, noooooooooooo

CarbonMTB
    Free Member

I really enjoyed both rounds, but i did enjoy the first round with doing the longer climb from the start each lap, tested the legs and gave chance to pass eachother.

Didn’t mind running up the lump, but prefer to stop on my bike if poss.

Keep up the good work!

Brownbacks
    Free Member

the route prospecting went well yesterday so subject to a course marking review we have a significantly different course.

the key problems we have is the course marking, getting it out in the limited time before race start, and then balancing the course. We want to keep mixing it up and the tramway will return.

re “the lump” we knew it was difficult to ride but we liked the steep downhill on the otherside

trio25
    Free Member

Tramway might kill me on my bike ;0)

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

which bit is the tram way?

CarbonMTB
    Free Member

After racing 13 laps round there i have no idea which part is the tramway either?

Yes the descent was good to have after the lump, even though i couldn’t ride the lump didn’t mind it.

Could the course not be set out earlier?

Brownbacks
    Free Member

red route here
    http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk/race_series/1/the_course.html

the tramway is the main climb from the gate

we need to update it with some new names eg “Haygarth’s leap” and “Caltrops”

we simply don’t have the time to post out the course and it may change on the day due to other circumstances

we had some criticism during race two from people who thought the wet slabs were dangerous, our view is that the riders should be riding in a manner to match the conditions (speed, line, tyres and pressures etc) it is a mountainbike race not a track race and all riders are expected to pre-ride the course. All the organisers have riden the site in all conditions and we feel it is safe but needs respect. Ice is the one of the few things that will make us look at the course!

CarbonMTB
    Free Member

That’s fair comment that Brownbacks regarding conditions, it’s a mountain bike race and you have to expect the unexpected.

I found the course grippy enough in the wet apart from the last climb before the descent to start and finish, but it was wet and i did have a racing ralph on the rear, so it was easier to just jog up.

Heard alot winge about Whinlatter Challenge, to far, to tough, to hilly, i say don’t enter mtb events then!

Keep up the good work.

Gary_C

so it was easier to just jog up.

WTF??

Its a mountain bike race,not a running race.IMHO anyone seen ‘off & running’should be subjected to disqualification.

BadlyWiredDog

WTF??

Its a mountain bike race,not a running race.IMHO anyone seen ‘off & running’should be subjected to disqualification.

In which case 70 per-cent of the field would have been disqualified… You don’t race bikes much do you?

wildrnes
    Free Member

nice and fair for us singlespeeders then

fingers crossed i should make this weekend, not to sure about that mental long climb tho :sobs: hey ho I have easier gearing.

Brownbacks
    Free Member

the lump was cheeky, we knew some people could ride it (and did) which meant it was fine for the race but it dumped me on one attempt, the prize was the short DH on the other side and splitting the faster/ slower riders

the lump is probably out this week as we have found the “lump mark2” again short sharp difficult but rideable and with a technical short DH on the otherside. Race 3 course is looking good and should be “enjoyed” by all. Get your pre-entries in http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk.

we are designing mtb courses and everything has to be rideable, the twist is “not by everybody” so little challenges like the lump are good because they make riders think and provide a challenge beyond just heart and lungs. We then make sure we cater for the “Have-a-go Hero’s” and then we have a course!!

We are also keen to ensure you can ride a mountainbike if you are going to do well at our events.

(our course design knowledge has just expanded to a larger postage stamp)

trio25
    Free Member

Yes the slabs were a little slippy, after an off on one it slowed me down. But that is mountain biking! It had rained that morning I expected it! It is dangerous with the drop but that made me concentrate and slow down a bit on that section. I dodn’t want a ‘safe’ course, would that just be round a field!

I would have liked to have seen anyone ride that lump, even the racers I saw had no traction on it! Didn’t bother me though, even out just riding I find things I have to walk. Otherwise I would ride on the road 100% of the time.

My pre-entry is in for this event, just need to get the bike fixed otherwise I might have to bring gears???

wildrnes
    Free Member

:hopes she brings gears:

Brownbacks
    Free Member

what’s wrong with the bike?

other than the forks… 😉

MrSparkle

I saw one racer clean the lump. He span but just got enough grip.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve not been to Brownback’s races but I’ve done others and know the quarry quite well.
    It is quite tough and The Lump (I assume this is the nasty climb after the berms) is a complete pig IMO, but this is only about 50m. I like the idea of races where the riders have to struggle a bit, otherwise what is the point in doing it? If you want it easy you may as well just trundle round the park for an hour or so. As for people moaning about it being slippery… c’mon it’s a mountain bike race.
    As long as it is safe make the buggers suffer!

CarbonMTB
    Free Member

Yes i agree, bit of suffering is good, slippy doesen’t bother me, done much scarier races.

Harry the lump wasn’t the one after the berms, it was sharp left at the top of the tramway, not the normal route, but the guy who said you don’t jog up things, it can be quicker to run it than ride it and save cramping up trying to power up short sharp climbs.

Anyway looking forward to this weeks race and the course, my pre entry will be in this week.

trio25
    Free Member

Brownbacks – Member
    what’s wrong with the bike?

other than the forks…

Bottom bracket has gone!

tombell1989
    Free Member

I guess it’s your race and if you want to run then run. Despite Carbon MTB’s comment about cramping, I always feel running up a hill is much more cramp inducing on the calves than riding up, no matter how steep.

CarbonMTB
    Free Member

I don’t often get of my bike on mtb events but i find it kind of stretches the legs, mind i’m used to walking and the odd jog.

Are you going for the win on sunday Tom?

Was 104 your mate? he was flying!

One thing with adding the tramway you get that nice bit of single track down to it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I obviously didn’t see the course but hows this for an idea for “tricky bits”. Put in a chicken run that takes 30 seconds longer to do – so you have a choice of a short technical section ( uphill or down) or a chicken run that takes 30 seconds longer. anyone running on the technical bit gets to stand for 30 seconds after it before getting back on their bike. gives an advantage to those who can ride their bikes

Brownbacks
    Free Member

errrrrr, its not a “race” then, if you were doing SSUK it would be fine, not for our format

….and you have to mark it and police it both of which suck in valuable resource, not to mention that the local topography doesn’t help

Anyway, big changes to the course this week for both Have-a-go’s and the main categories opening up new parts of the quarry

it should be good!

http://www.brownbacksracing.co.uk

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i was gonna say, given the topography of the quarry i doubt that chicken runs are possible at the most tech parts…

anyway i reckon i’ll be marshalling again this weekend. let’s hope i don’t win a bottle of booze again!

neil853
    Free Member

xherbivorex thanks for marshalling again! promise we’ll try and keep you in a warmer spot this time!!!!

anyway, lets get that sun dance going so we can have a repeat of the first events weather!

new course look good, think people will like it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry Race 2 feedback’ is closed to new replies.