Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Lee Quarry conditions?
  • clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Anyone been recently? Free of snow and ice now?

Many thanks
    Paul

StuE
    Free Member

No snow or ice,not bad considering, was up there for the first time on Saturday and really enjoyed it.

Andituk
    Free Member

Was a bit of ice left on Friday, but mainly just very wet. Especially where the new stuff is going in and the machinery has churned it up. The trail is starting to suffer a bit in places too, theres some definete braking bumps forming around the jumps near the end. Might just have been me feeling negative though, I'd just crashed over the bars and was feeling a bit pee'd off.

Still good though, and can only improve with this dry spell. And once all the new stuff is up and running.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

was up there yesterday afternoon checking out the new trails (on foot!) in preparation for race planning, and it's in great condition right now. couple of soft patches on the road part running up out of the 'old' skills area and also some interesting ruts all along the back ledge of the main bowl but nothing that'd cause you any problems. no snow or ice on the trails themselves either; if the weather is as good as it was on sunday or yesterday then it'd be close to perfect riding conditions up there.
    stay off the new stuff for the next couple of weeks though please as it's still not properly bedded in, but once it's open then that place is going to be so much fun!

TonyL
    Free Member

Conditions are good things are drying out really well, tomorrow should be the last day with machines up there. It might take a couple of weeks for everything to dry out but on the whole it is looking good. The new trails are really good, big flowing berms that will put a smile on all but the grumpiest of people.

Signage is a bit behind schedule so I'll be putting some tempory stuff up over the next few days. Constructive feedback would be welcome!

New layout takes a little while to get your head around but it works really well, some good challenging climbs (none of which are too long) and some cracking swoopy downhill bits perfect for sessioning and learning new skills on. Its not a get your head down and cover the miles sort of place more one where you will easily spend half a day reriding sections until you get them right. Pump track is ready for use now and is working really well, beded in nicley already.

ph0010421
    Free Member

Was up there today. Conditions excellent. Hats off to the work going on up there.
    Accidentally did one of the new bits the wrong way, only to find a 'let this bed in' sign at the start (end).
    Cheers

TonyL
    Free Member

Loads of people have accidently riden the new trails over the past couple of days (probably over 100 on sunday alone).But they are holding up really well and we have been lucky with the weather, the material up there is really good and is packing down nicley so its not really a problem.

I have got the contractors to make lots of piles of surfacing materials around the quarry so looking after the trails will be a bit easier. Hoping to get a volunteer group up and running soon. Just waiting in getting a date from Rowan and his crew for a training day.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Thanks for the info…
    …off there tomorrow then!

🙂

Andituk
    Free Member

Good to see it was just me having a bad day 😀

So when do we officialy get a green light to start riding the new skills sections?

Keep us updated on the volunteer group Tony, we spoke the other week, and as I said, I'd definetly be interested 😀

knott4me
    Free Member

me too.love the place cannot wait to get up there again. I thought it was already a top place to ride.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

WOW!!!

Lee Quarry must be the best place in the UK for developing MTB skills!!! Apart from negotiating tree roots 😉

The new stuff looks great, the new Red section makes for an even more intense circuit.

The Lee Quarry Slab(s) will soon be very well known!

Cheers
    Paul

TonyL
    Free Member

Tree roots will feature heavily when we start trail construction at Facit Quarry (assuming we get planning permission) just a short pedal away from Lee Quarry. The plan is to start building there August/September if we can get everything in place, we have the funding so the main barrier has been overcome!

At the moment if you want some good rooty tree action try Healey Nab one of our other sites over towards Rivington. There is some good stuff in there already and more under construction at the moment. Its a small site and is best worked in to a longer ride around Rivi.

Cragg Quarry will be ready in a few weeks too!

Andituk
    Free Member

Went again yesterday, and conditions have improved loads in the last week, it was really good fun.

All the new stuff is now waymarked up and the closed signs gone, and I can confirm, its bloody superb 😀

Some really, really brilliant work done, spent a good few hours just playing on the new skills area, those berms are excellent 😀

The slab scared the pants off me though, I'll be keeping well clear of that for now 😀

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i need to get up there and check it all out 🙂 haven't been for a while, i went there like a few month ago and they had jcb`s up there and alot of wet soggy mud but that was when the snow was melting, sounds like they have done alot since. A definate visit is in order 😛

knott4me
    Free Member

So its all open now is it 😀

knott4me
    Free Member

So its all open now is it 😀

elaineanne
    Free Member

no ! by the sounds of it theres another few weeks to let it all 'BED -in '.. be good people and let it bed in properly ….that way it wont suffer before the rest of us get chance to 'Try out'…

Andituk
    Free Member

All the closed signs are gone, and there are signs directing you on to it. Someone asked Ed on twitter and he told them it was ok to ride, straight from the horse's mouth so to speak 😉

The guys from ST were riding it the other day too.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

The slab scared the pants off me though, I'll be keeping well clear of that for now

Aye, I saw it and went tish!! So got the bike and went straight for it. Would have psyched me out for ages otherwise!!

lowey

Where is this slab you speak of ?

Andituk
    Free Member

In the new first section, signposted black, you go left and the red goes straight on.

From Ed O's Flickr..

It's pant wettingly steep when you stand next to it 😀

xherbivorex
    Free Member

it's no steeper than the "slab" type bit at llandegla. having said that, it is quite steep mind!

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

…but twice the length…

lowey

Where is the Slab type bit at Llandegla you speak of ?

Hows it compare to the Gisburn slab ?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

easy runout though… just stay off the brakes and it's simple.

TonyL
    Free Member

It's fine to ride now material in the quarry is really good and seems to have packed down really well.

slab is steep but fine to ride, it is optional so if you have any doubts about it just go round it.

Please wear a helmet though can't believe the number of people I have seen in the quarry the past few days with no helmets. The place is littered with rocks just waiting to conect with your head if you fall off. Think of those of us who have to come and pick you up afterwards! And those who may end up spoonfeeding you if you can't be bothered to wear a helmet.

TonyL
    Free Member

The slab, Neil Hodgson (world superbike) was in the quarry yesterday I lent him my bike and helmet so he could have a go and he went off down the slab without a second thought several times for photo's.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry conditions?’ is closed to new replies.