Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lee Quarry – Big Day Out – Sunday 28th February 2016
  • gonzy
    Free Member

hi folks,

in light of the recent news regarding the impending closure of Lee Quarry, there is a planned ride there on the above date.
    so far there are nearly 400 who have confirmed that they will be turning up on the day (hopefully most of these confirmations will actually turn up)
    the plan is to get the press up there too and there’s even been talk of getting some of the bike magazines up there too
    its all to raise the awareness of the situation of the quarry

anyone who’s in the area is more than welcome to attend…the more the merrier in fact.

more info can be found here:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/955545404515987/

johnw1984
    Free Member

Yeah, me and the Wife signed up for it. Looks like it should be a big turn out!

Mackem

Lee Quarry isn’t being closed. It’s juts not having money spent on it.

mintimperial

Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely try to make it out there and offer support, it’d be a real shame if Lee Quarry was just left to rot, had some great times up there.

there’s even been talk of getting some of the bike magazines up there too

Pretty sure there’s a fairly local mtb-related publication that might be interested in this, perhaps? 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure something I read on here said it could be up for closure.

gonzy
    Free Member

yes, the money is going to be cut back for the LCC Countryside Rangers who are responsible for the upkeep of the site, therefore as it wont be maintained that plan is to close the site down and stop it being used(form an insurance/liability point of view)
    http://singletrackworld.com/2016/01/further-woes-for-lee-quarry/

Pretty sure there’s a fairly local mtb-related publication that might be interested in this, perhaps?

i’ve been informed by the event organiser that they will be there 😉

funkrodent

Bit of a bump for this. I’ll be there in the morning, albeit quite early. Great place to ride, don’t really see how the council can actually “close” it as such. Would have thought it’d cost more to securely fence it off and maintain that than keep it open. After all where there’s a will there’s a way…

Shame to have all this so soon after all that talk of a trailhead etc

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It can’t be fenced as it is an urban common

gonzy
    Free Member

Shame to have all this so soon after all that talk of a trailhead etc

that plan got binned after the land searches found large quantities of hazardous contaminants in the ground making it unsuitable for building on

big_n_daft
    Free Member

that plan got binned after the land searches found large quantities of hazardous contaminants in the ground making it unsuitable for building on

Which is surprising seeing the millions in public money that went into the clean up of the site

Fraud or incompetence?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry – Big Day Out – Sunday 28th February 2016’ is closed to new replies.