Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • LED Light interfering with wireless computer
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

I’ve noticed that my L+M Seca seems to interfere with the wireless transmission of my Cateye bike computer causing misreading and sometimes no reading at all. Seems worse in some positions on the bars than others but I don’t seem to be able to find a position where it doesn’t happen at all.

Is this something to do with the Seca in particular or is it an LED thing or maybe just a fact of life with wireless computers?

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

wwaswas

this is the second post on this in a fortnight and I’ve not seen any for a while before that.

I think it’s ‘just one of those things’ with some LED’s/computers 🙁

MarkN
    Free Member

I have had similar with one of the early Exposure units and a Cateye wireless unit. You may find that increasing the gap between the two units on the bars will help.. I am pretty sure it is low level RFI from the light due to the way that the LED is pulsed/powered.

I moved to wired computer units as I found that wireless was more grief that I wanted, not just the light issue.

bigbob38
    Free Member

deal extreme light vs cateye – now got one with wires 😯

matthew_h
    Free Member

Hmm, RFI sounds feasible so I guess it looks like it is an LED thing. Bit irritating. Tried moving the light headunit and the computer around to no avail really.

Ah well.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

If I touch the battery cable of my 601 on my Cateye wireless computer, it completely kills it. Took me a while to figure it out! Now route the wire away from it and it’s fine.

All circuits generate a magnetic field. I suspect this can “block” wireless transmissions.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Hmm, might have a better look at the cable routing then. Cheers

MrTall
    Free Member

My Cateye light affects one of my computers when put onto low or flashing mode, not on high though.

My Joystick and Ayups seem to have no effect at all.

To be fair the instructions for the Cateye does mention it so they are aware of the problem.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Now you mention it, I think it is only when my light is dimmed to a lower mode that it interferes. Must something to do with how LEDs are dimmed (don’t know how they do this).

Haven’t read about this in the instructions but I don’t think I read them that thoroughly

ourmaninthenorth

Same problem for me between Lumi LED3 and Polar CS300 watch/computer.

Only ever a problem when the light is set to flash, though, so I keep it simple and run it at full beam all the time 😀

MrTall
    Free Member

The cateye instructions clearly mentioned that it was only a problem when using the lower settings.

Some LED techno nerd on here will no doubt be able to explain why…. 🙂

matthew_h
    Free Member

Main beam it is then it seems. Might test it out on the rollers in the morning

Dibbs
    Free Member

My L&M Stella 200 is OK on the bars beside my Cateye Strada, my old L&M HID stops the Cateye dead, the Seca 700 does the same as far as I can remember but moving them a few inches further apart can make all the difference from what I recall.

Coleman
    Free Member

From the Exposure website;

Does a Race or Enduro light confuse my wireless cycle computer?

Yes it can. There can be some localised interference to other transmittted signals such as wireless cycle computers and heart rate monitors. The interference will be greater on the higher light settings. Our suggestion is to move the light and computer as far apart as possible. The Exposure Lights’ aluminum body does a good job at shielding most of the “pulsing” from the light but if the computer is very close it can effect the readings.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Make your computer a tinfoil hat.

Bullet

I have had the same problem and might have a fix… Have put another mounting bracket on the fork leg just above the sender unit – since the computer is so close to it, doesn’t seem to be affected by the LED lights when they are on. Don’t think the computer is too vulnerable there, will see how it goes.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘LED Light interfering with wireless computer’ is closed to new replies.