Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LED GU10 Bulb Recommendation
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Any suggestions to replace the standard halogen ones?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

What application?

I haven’t found a LED which touches halogen ones yet. But the megaman CFLs are pretty good but bulky for anything other than down lighters.

But… If you want something funky… Got some of the remote controlled colour changing LED GU10s in a sprogs bedroom. Cool.

georgecats_0
    Free Member

phillips ones are £13 each,but very,very good(im assuming to fit flush lights tho)

ross980
    Free Member

There’s some ‘warm white’ GU10 LEDs from simplyled.co.UK for £12 each. A guy at work bought about 20 for his kitchen and lent me one to try. The light output is identical to a 50w halogen in colour and brightness. They’re the ones with 20 LEDs (2020 SMD?) and are rated at 300 lumen/4w. I’ve just ordered some 30 LED ones from Deal Extreme for £4-5ish, if they’re rubbish they’ll go on eBay and I’ll get the £12 UK ones.

A different guy from work built a huge extension that has 60+ GU10 down lighters in it, he’s had loads of problems with CFL ones failing, he’s looking at swapping to LEDs.

Dibbs
    Free Member
    Flaperon

I’m using the Philips ones too. Beware some of the more generic brands as they’re taller than the usual GU10 halogen and don’t fit properly, ie, they’re not flush with the fitting. Would also recommend you avoid Eltex as a brand, of the ones that I’ve got, 70% failed within two months.

konabunny
    Free Member

So…how much energy do these mothers save? Got a house full of the flipping things, hate them.

Dibbs
    Free Member

At 16p a unit a 50watt GU10 would cost £70.08 to run 24/7 for one year a 5watt LED GU10 would cost around £7.01 for the same period I’d call that significant.

konabunny
    Free Member

blimey. Good to hear.

ste_t
    Free Member

Started using Phillips led bulbs at work in all shapes and sizes, all good thus far. The light is quite alot more focussed than halogen so I’d advise you go for wider flood. They do a 3w led but not dimmable. If you want dimmable you need 4w or higher. Most importantly, they come with a guarantee – so keep a record of when you install each bulb and how long it lasts for.

The only application where led isn’t creating a significant saving is in the customer toilets where we were using megaman cfl’s.Had to get all of the light fittings changed when we started using megaman as the bulbs are massive!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘LED GU10 Bulb Recommendation’ is closed to new replies.