Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Learning French.
  • whattyre
    Free Member

Any tips? Gonna join a local class…is they’re anything else I can do? Anyone used the Rosetta thingys?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Go and live there for a year – come back fluent.

jfletch
    Free Member

I’m trying at the moment and its bloody hard with only 2 hrs per week. I’ve tried learn CDs in the car but they bore me stupid and I never learn anything.

I reckon the key is being exposed to the language more often. Anyone know any cycling podcasts in French?

leffeboy

Local class is the best way if you aren’t going to go and live there. If you want additional stuff then take a look at some of the previous threads as there was some good stuff

Google – learning french site:singletrackworld.com

Most of all though don’t be afraid to speak however crap you may think you sound or be afraid that your grammar is wrong.

whattyre
    Free Member

Cool local class looks pretty good actually…I was fluent once but I’m very rusty

saladdodger
    Free Member

I use the michele thomas cd’s and I just left em on in the van not thinking they were working but when I got to france I amazed myself in my french communication, just leave em playing

nasher
    Free Member

try the michel thomas cd…gives a good grounding in grammar… i used for my italian

Also learn and understnd how the english language is structured and how it came to be….makes it a lot easier to understand the differences with other languages.

About two thirds of english is french anyway its just “un question du prononciation”

globalti
    Free Member

Your biggest problem is going to be your own fear of making mistakes. The best way to get over that fear is to go to France and get pissed in bars; you will soon learn the language!

On a more serious note, French is a beautiful language and speaking it will give you access to a fascinating and ancient culture and – despite the popular myth – some very charming, well-mannered and hospitable people.

leffeboy

Somewhat amusingly, if you are having trouble pronouncing words try putting on a comic French accent. It often works 😯

saladdodger
    Free Member

despite the popular myth – some very charming, well-mannered and hospitable people.

Well put

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Learning French.’ is closed to new replies.