Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Learnie red Rocks
  • freeridenick
    Free Member

Is it worth a visit?
    Also I did read somewhere that felling was taking place? Any insider info from a local

cheers
    Nick

stevious

Depends on where you’re visiting from. Great ifyou live nearby, but I wouldn’t drive up from the central belt for it.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Will be on a northern scotland road trip, just looking at options should the weather crap ot..

stevious

The blue’s a nice wee ride with a couple of great views on it. The black section is a bit like normal cheeky forest trails, only better waymarked – quite fun in a steep and rooty kind of way. Not sure how well the black would hold up to bad weather.

If you’re heading further North, the trails at Golspie are much better than those on offer at Carbisdale/Balblair.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Great thanks

Hoping for some west coast action at Torridon etc. but always good to have some trail centre action your sleeve!!

stevious

When are you going to be up?

Torridon’s an incredible place, and the classic coulags – annat really does deserve its reputation.

bri-72

Would agree there’s better choices than learnie. Balblair Golspie or laggan if it’s trail centre u want. Learnie would be bottom of my list of choices.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Yes there is felling there at the moment. Contin is nearby and is better (IMO).

freeridenick
    Free Member

will be up for 6 days second weekend in may 😛

mau00149
    Free Member

A mate was up the other day and Learnie was closed for forestry tree felling just now. Not sure how long its on for. Wouldn’t say it was great, the blue is ok, nothing spectacular, some nice views across the Beauly firth but nothing challenging. Have taken some people who havent been ona bike in years there and they didnt struggle. The orange free ride / jump track (not the tabletops at the carpark) is pretty good, good for inspiring confidence for jumps but woudln’t go specifically for that. Didn’t click with the black when i rode it, i found it one minute your on a rocky descent then next a climb, just couldn’t get into a rhythm (that was a few years ago and haven’t ridden it since)

Golspie is awesome, it’s basically a climb to the top (fairly straight forward apart from lactic ladder which is a technical climb) and blast back down to the bottom. Black is fairly rocky at the top, some nice drops / jumps, technical rock gardens, great views. Joins the red further down which flows nicely and great for inspiring confidence. Berm, jump, berm, jump, and breath, so sweet. Can chop and change the routes as there are various link paths to pick out your fav sections. Would def recommend making the effort to ride it.

Have never ridden at laggan yet but heard its very good. It’s on my to do list. Alot of people really rate the red. Some say the black is fairly technical but good fun once you get it dialled.

Theres also the moray monster trails towards Fochabers, have ridden there once and was pretty good day. Not sure what state they are in just now with forrestry felling etc. Worth checking on http://www.moraymountainbikeclub.co.uk/ for a local forum for some up to date info.

Plenty natural riding throughout the area

Cullen – what trails are at Contin?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Learnie red Rocks’ is closed to new replies.