• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Leaking Balcony/Flat Roof…Advice needed
  • nuke

Only moved in a few months ago and our balcony roof is leaking though to the bedroom below. Its currently tiles over felt then boards and wood joists. Its about 3mx4.5m.

We're starting to get quotes for replacements but we're hearing conflicting opinions on what is most suitable for the flooring…so over to you: what is the most suitable type of flooring for a balcony roof that is going to be walked over? Tiles over felt, fibre glass, some sort of membrane system?

dave_aber
    Free Member

Stans.

sharkbait
    Free Member

No real help with the watreproofing method I'm afraid but interested to hear what more experienced people suggest. With regards to the top finish we put down Piazza tiles from HERE.
    Frankly they're brilliant, light and easy to lay (just clip together but do not move around), dry quickly, give good grip and don't damage the felt (in our case). Dark grey looks nice – not sure about some of the others!

nuke

cheers sharkbait…I'll take a look

…anybody else?

mk1fan
    Free Member

There's lots of different finishes. Personally, I use a tile or slab on pads over a felt or cold applied built up roof finish. But there's few reasons why a timber deck couldn't be laid. Do you need access under the decking?

Is there any insualtion and/or ventilation present?

They're all good. Problems occur when things aren't installed properly or products mis-matched.

Does the whole section of roof need to be replaced? Where is the leak? Or is the roofing just at the end of it's life?

If it's the latter then why not renew like for like? If there's a specific leak, what is causing it?

I've recently looked at a new roof over an extension that has all the materials present but not put together with any care – or sense.

Have you asked someone to diagnose the problem or are you just asking for quotes to replace the roof?

nickjb
    Free Member

Fibreglass. Very tough if properly done.

nuke

Good questions raised there mk1fan.

There was decking down over the tiles and we think water has been pooling under the decking and has been slow seeping down between the tiles. Now I've removed the decking, the gaps between the tiles are uneven and wide in places. We've kind of decided it looks like the roof is at the end of it's life and tbh would prefer to start afresh with a whole new roof and something guaranteed for the next 20 years.

Fibreglass. Very tough if properly done.

We've got someone coming tomorrow who's already said 'fibre glass is the way to go'. I was wondering about cracking though. Is it good for being walked on, tables/chairs being placed on it etc?

bruneep

What ever roof you fit does depend on the quality of the workman/materials. I have seen good and bad fibreglass/bitumen roofs. I would fit a fibreglass roof, its just an upside down boat. But get a reputable firm to do.

If you are starting afresh get the roof built up so it has a good run, to prevent (ponding) pooling. Then add decking but build it in such a way that it can be removed in sections if required. The fall of the roof can be absorbed with the decking giving a flat surface for chairs/tables.

richcc
    Free Member

Google for Flat Roof Company. Excellent stuff and 30 or 40 yr guarantee. Got it on my garage roof

nuke

If you are starting afresh get the roof built up so it has a good run, to prevent (ponding) pooling. Then add decking but build it in such a way that it can be removed in sections if required. The fall of the roof can be absorbed with the decking giving a flat surface for chairs/tables.

Like this idea. Good plan

But get a reputable firm to do.

…yes but how to find one 😕

Google for Flat Roof Company. Excellent stuff and 30 or 40 yr guarantee. Got it on my garage roof

Having a look at that as there's a fitter fairly local. What sort of price did your garage come in at?

bruneep

But get a reputable firm to do.

…yes but how to find one

ask them for names of happy previous customers, if they a genuine they would be happy to provide.

The fall doesn't have to be great, without seeing roof something like 50mm > 0mm would do, anything but FLAT.

B.

*ex-roofer

richcc
    Free Member

Had garage done 5 years or so ago. 1.5 car length garage and flat 'balcony' along front of house. Think it was about £1500. Double cost of felt at the time but wouldn't consider anything else if had a flat roof that was leaking

aP
    Free Member

Sarnafil is good for flat roofs – we specify it a fair bit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Leaking Balcony/Flat Roof…Advice needed’ is closed to new replies.