Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Le Mans 24hr disaster
  • bawbag
    Free Member

Really interesting documentary on the worst ever motor racing crash. Just watched this and worth catching if you haven't seen it. On iplayer here until 3rd June.

Is that the Mercedes one ?
    I used to work for a Mercedes truck dealer and there were some interesting omissions in the company achievements history booklet I read.
    Le Mans in 1955 and most of Europe in the early '40s didn't get a mention.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My uncle was there at the exact spot in '55. Was enjoying the race but had an overwhelming urge to move on 5 mins later 104 people dead.

He never went to a race again.

oldgit
    Free Member

I often think of that disaster when I watch modern rallying.

Militantgraham, what were Mercedes doing in the 40s then 👿

Well, I don't know as the book kind of skipped over that period for some reason.

Looks like they were making some nice cars around that time though.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I saw it last week, very interesting and in retrospect it was all mad from the drivers and their time in car, the lack of safety equipment, the lack of protection for the public etc.

Have been to the race a good number of times & stood in the (new) grandstand there and had a quiet thought about what went before me.

A tragedy for all involved

bawbag
    Free Member

It was just the worst possible outcome looking at the footage of the crash.

Crazy (with hindsight) that cars would just stop on the main straight to refuel with it being so narrow. Interesting documentary though and enjoyed hearing all the background story.

monkfish
    Free Member

They were busy as were BMW

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Le Mans 24hr disaster’ is closed to new replies.