Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • LBS/Wheel problems – what to do?
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Missus picked up a couple of wheels I've had built up onto some old Hope hubs. I'd picked some Mavic A319 (it's a 29er frame) as some cheap rims for use this winter for commute/general knocking around.

They've come back with A719 rims on. Yes, a better rim, but £30 more expensive. And the cheek to charge me a couple of quid for plastic rim tape too! And being ultra picky the stickers on the rims are not on same sides!

Just been onto the wheel builder. He says it was hard to get hold of A319 rims at moment so he used 719s instead. And yes, I can't disagree with him that they are better/stronger rims.

Kinda left it, not sure what to do now.

If I'd have known he was using more expensive rims I'd have probably tried to get some disk specific TN719 rims instead.

Am I just being a saddo/spitting dummy out to roll back into the shop, demand they swap the rims over (assuming I can actually get TN719s anyway…).

In the end of the day it's only £30 extra (90p a spoke was a bit of a shock too!!!), the compromise with the cheap rim was it had a braking surface I could live with, paying the extra meant I probably would have just plumped for what I've got on my other wheels (ie the TN719s).

Discuss.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Didn't you agree on price and components when you went in, if so shouldn't they have called you to check you were ok with an alternative that would cost you more?

bialled_dikes
    Free Member

I don't wheely know but then again I've got no axle to grind.

Have you tried going round?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IMO they should have told you before costing you more money – poor service. I'd be wanting money off or I would have told them to take the rims off and return all my money and my hubs.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

quote]bungalistic – Member
    Didn't you agree on price and components when you went in.
    [/quote]

Yep, ordered the A319 rims in the build.

Gonna have some lunch and have a think. Leaning towards popping the wheels back in and getting them built back onto TN719s.

thomthumb
    Free Member

not what you ordered – so no need to pay – they should have called.

ask them to change them or offer alternative – if there sensible they'll just knock off the £30.

Olly
    Free Member

unless they called you with the changed specification, and you both agreed, you should pay for the price of the originally agreed build, in my opinion.

i wouldnt try and "get money off" from an LBS, however they should have called.

if they couldnt get through, they shouldnt have done the job, and just said "sorry mate, we couldnt get hold of you" when you spoke to them next

just say its not what you budgeted for, you cant afford it, so they can either keep the wheels and try and sell them on to someone who does want them, or knock the majority of the difference off.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If they'd said, sorry, we couldn't get the cheap rim, so we put a more expensive one on, no extra charge, that'd be fine, fair enough, I've had that happen with things before.

But if they're charging you extra, without asking, that is crazy.

90p a spoke? Are they titanium triple butted or aerodynamic spokes or something fancy? Or black ones? Even buying single spokes, I've never paid more than 50p for a good enough double butted silver spoke.

Joe

13thfloormonk

Eh… 90p a spoke sounds pretty reasonable now for double butted stainless steel.

i made a fortune returning some spokes I'd bought ages ago (before recent price increases etc), felt like dealing shares!

druidh
    Free Member

90p a spoke is about right for DTS double butted.

No way they should have changed the rim spec without contacting you to agree it, or they should give you the better rim for the same price.

enfht
    Free Member

Hire a witches costume, walk in and put a curse on them.

nickc

If ever there was a story to demonstrate why building your own wheels is a skill worth learning, this thread is it…

joemarshall
    Free Member

90p a spoke is about right for DTS double butted.

40p for dt double butted from chain reaction makes 90p seem pretty expensive. According to chain reaction, the rrp of a set of 36 is only £20 (55p), which given you'd be buying them in full sets to make a wheel, makes 90p a bit cheeky.

Joe

coffeeking
    Free Member

Agreeeeeed, 90p a spoke is horrific.

taka
    Free Member

£9.99 are the spokes ib buy from crc

wwaswas

CRC are still charging the 'old' price for DT spokes – most places are twice that now…

coffeeking
    Free Member
    firestarter
    Free Member

stop that coffeeking thats where i buy my spokes lol i dont want em to run out and have to restock 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Retail on DT Competitions is presently 75p.

Clicky

They can't change the spec without telling you and expect you to pay the difference, don't accept it. Either they do them for the price of the cheaper wheels or they unbuilt and put the proper rims on.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘LBS/Wheel problems – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.