Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LBS – Wheel build and complete bike assembly cost?
  • currymad
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m just curious to hear what would be considered a fair price for:
    a/ building a wheel, when all components have been supplied by the customer.
    b/ assembling a bike from scratch , excluding wheel build, same situation as above.

Thanks 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

120 to 150 quid?

Underhill
    Free Member

The guy I’ve taken wheels to usually charges around £12-£15 for building & truing up a wheel, local shop is £15 for straightening & truing.

Can’t suggest anything for the complete bike tho

Rorschach
    Free Member

3 hours labour-£135.

RichJJ
    Free Member

Quoted £35 for a wheel build at LBS a week ago

currymad
    Free Member

thanks for quick responses all 🙂 ..Edric 64, is that for bike build or for both a & b ?

cheers

fubar
    Free Member

b) cost me £120 (but it wasn’t from scratch)

RustyMac

Prices from my local are

Bike build £120

Wheel build £25/wheel

Some wheel builders i know will charge more if they are not going to make anything off the parts.

stumpyjon

I got quoted £ 150 for a complete bike build a few years ago (not including wheel building). In the end I got them to face the BB, install the star washer and crown race for nought (I bought quite a few components from them) but then built it myself including the plumbing required with Shimano discs as at the time they were in kit form. I probably could’ve haggled it down a bit but seeing as I had every intention of doing it myself I didn’t). Personally I reckon building a bike from scratch is a lot easier and quicker than giving an existing one a proper service.

It took me around 6 hours in total to build up a hardtail, a significant proportion of that was fannying around with hydraulics.

jools182
    Free Member

Cost me 35 a wheel including dtswiss comp spokes

currymad
    Free Member

makes for really interesting reading…bit sad perhaps for a Saturday night but still 🙄

I’ve just collected my new 29er build – I paid £60 for dt comp spokes, and another £60 for building them onto new hubs. The bike build was £86 labour, inc. cutting steerer.

I’m happy with the finished product and the mechanic is a genuine good guy and knowledgeable imo – I was however originally quoted £40 for build, being told it was the same as a normal service.
    Not complaining, just curious to hear how it compares to other lbs’s.

cheers

Edric64
    Free Member

I reckon you should get you wheels built and your bike built for about my upper figure

Edric64
    Free Member

That was based on you supplying everything including the spokes!

currymad
    Free Member

cheers e..64 for clarifying, seems about right then.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘LBS – Wheel build and complete bike assembly cost?’ is closed to new replies.