Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • LBS bad experience, what would you do?
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

moved into area a little while ago, realised I need the freehub bearings replaced on white ind SS freehub, so took it to LBS, dont know any so chose the one that had seemingly the best stock – seven cycles/specialized and other brands. Took it in on the saturday, found them busy, waited 15 mins and finally spoke to somebody who seemed like a saturday girl, told them what I wanted, left phone number and thought it'd be fine, the service guys will see what needs doing and call if theres a problem/question. In my 20 years biking, thats what most half decent shops do.

I phones them on the monday and they confirmed they'd do wheel that week and said its fine, we'll do wheel, didnt ask me any questions. Why oh why didnt I ask them then if they knew what they were doing.. make mental note to self to be more thorough.

Then they called me next day and said it was done, no other information, no questions, just yes, all done, come and get it.

Popped in tonight, collected wheel, and realised they've replaced hub bearings and not serviced freewheel at all which is blatently moving and needs bearings. Asked why. They said they'd done what they thought they were asked to do and the hub bearings were shot, so replaced, mechanic said the freehub bearings obviously needed doing to, but they didnt have the tools and couldnt replace. Chardged me 36 quid for fixing the wrong thing and being just stunned I left.

I'm inclined to chalk it up to experience and avoid the shop <they are roadie orientated> but inside I am a little mad I've been charged for the wrong repair, that they've had opportunity to clarify the job and didnt, that they could have called and said 'ere mate yer freehubs needing a service too', but didnt. I wish the woman taking the wheel off me had said, sorry, we cant do those.

What to do? Anything or nowt? One things for sure I wont ever go back there again even if I go completely to the dark side.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Note: in future, if the assistant seems clueless, ask to see the work ticket. If there is no ticket politely request the return of the item and cancellation of the job.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i would have a chat with the manager

what area/shop?

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Another note: before you leave, tell them what you just told us and get them to sort it.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I think the ticket said, service wheel or something equally bland, she was rushed and they were busy BUT as 1111 said I'm thinking I should call the manager.

headfirst
    Free Member

name and shame!

project
    Free Member

Mistakes do happen,just speak to the manager,and be polite but firm.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

sigma? id do as above…it doesnt matter what size they are or what they do (brand wise) if your not happy your not happy and its theyre job to fix it….

i would if you were my punter! 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Speak to the manager see waht the reaction is. Then decide on next actions.

thepodge
    Free Member

i would have a chat with the manager

I left mine and the girlfriends bikes at a shop in Leeds, took the manager / owner through everything that needed doing and agreed to pick them up a week later.

went to collect them and find out off the Saturday boy the boss has gone snowboarding and not only not left instructions but also not left contact details for us so the bikes just sat there for 7 days.

a week after that I collect them, very insincere apology from the manager who then whacks me with a bill for twice the cost of the service despite their claim of "we will always contact and advise you prior to replacing any components as we don't want you to get a shock when you pick the bike up" and tells me he's changed the angle of my bars because I'll feel comfier…

unfortunatly the owner will be at my girlfriend's sisters wedding so I wasn't allowed to tell him he's a crap bar-stard or do anything about it, but lets just say I was very cross and I wont be making trax to his shop ever again

br
    Free Member

Be a man – complain at the time, argue the toss there and then.

Or do like you did, and moan like a girl on t'web.

zaskar
    Free Member

I would not have paid, I would have told them what needed doing and why didn't they ring me?

Ask for the manager and get it sorted.

Also you knew the girl was rushed and even though you shouldn't-always ask to repeat what you said needed doing.

Ring the manager and explain what happened-I'm sure they will sort you out.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

there are good shops and bad shops. i would say it boils down to who you get on the day. allot of the time the big shops are so busy things can get missed. all that aside they didnt do the job you asked them to do so take it back. i would expect the work to be done at least at cost for that bumble. what wheel set?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

white industries ENO hub and freehub

Sigma sport Kingston, I aint returning .. I dont have the energy or desire for confrontaton today, will chalk it up to experience and not go back. cheers all.

br
    Free Member

Whats the LBS on the road towards Chessington, try them, they've always been ok.

brant
    Free Member

You wanted them to service your White Industries what?

I thought it was a FREEWHEEL? Not a freehub.

Quite different.

joemarshall
    Free Member

In situations like this, you should always a)take back any parts of yours that they have as soon as possible, and b) refuse to pay for work that you didn't ask to be done. If you just walk out, they're hardly going to call the police on you. They'd not have a leg to stand on if they do try and go legal on it. It isn't like you'd want to go back to the shop anyway.

Joe

shedfull
    Free Member

It makes no difference whether he said freewheel or freehub. There's only one bit on a wheel that's free anything so how could any confusion have arisen?

If an LBS services is asked to service something that isn't even present on a wheel but sounds suspiciously like another bit that is there and is clearly inoperative, I'd expect them to ask, if the customer is still there or call and confirm if he's not. Returning it still broken isn't right and replacing bearings that didn't need replacing in the meantime is criminal.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘LBS bad experience, what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.