Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lathes
  • Shorty121
    Free Member

A really good hobby lathe that is reasonably priced?

Cheers

JAG

Do you want something new that you just unwrap and plug in?

…or do you fancy an older machine that will be cheap but requires a little investment?

If you fancy the latter route drop me an email (addy in my profile) – I may take a little while to reply but I will reply.

compositepro
    Free Member

what do you want to make?

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve got a little Sherline (and the 8-axis mill too) in the workshop – a lovely little machine. Stay away from the Machine Mart type of thing – they’re awful…

Shorty121
    Free Member

Happy second hand around £300 prefer more professional rather than hobby

TuckerUK
    Free Member

For turning what material, and of what length and diameter?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I don’t really think you will get anything decent for that sort of money. I paid £700 for my Myford ML7 off eBay a couple of years ago which came with a stand. You might be lucky and get one a bit cheaper without the pukka stand which will be fine if you mount it on a sturdy bench.

There are a lot of Chinese made lathes around from dealers like Amadeal (http://amadeal.co.uk/index.html) and a lot of those tend to be clones from one or two factories in China. They look like good value but the quality of them is pretty poor even though they have improved over the last few years.

I was in the market for a lathe a few years back so went to the Model Engineering Exhibition to look them over. All the Chinese clones were obviously of inferior quality so I decided to hold out for a second-hand Myford. If you want to go smaller then the Taig/Peatol lathe is very nice and second-hand ones do appear on eBay from time to time.

There are quite a few websites around dealing with small/hobby lathes with good advice such as this one http://www.lathes.co.uk/page2.html

Hope that helps.

kayak23

Wood or metal lathe? I have a woodturning one I may part with. A Record.

nickhart
    Free Member

kayak, which record is it? i may be interested.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Happy second hand around £300 prefer more professional rather than hobby

Assuming you’re talking about a metal, lathe realistically I think you’re going to have to double that figure. You might be lucky and get something ex bankrupt, but it would probably be 3 phase, and once you’ve factored in modifying it you’re back to that original figure.

wwaswas

I heard Myford Lathes were pretty good hobby ones so I just googled them.

they’re not cheap.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Myford’s a bit like LandRover, good because it’s British 🙂
    The Chinese ones are fine. The finish and initially functionality can be a bit ropey but any semi-competent machinist can sort them out and get good results from them and any semi-incompetent machinist will produce poor results irrespective of the quality of the lathe.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

we (my company) just sold a myford super 7 with a long bed on it. it needs a lot of work on it. got £1000 on ebay.

they are not cheap! we have loads at work i might buy the other super 7 off of them. needs the bearings doing though

porter_jamie

If you have 3 phase then you can look at proper industrial ones.

kayak23

kayak, which record is it?

Like this one I think. Its been at me Mums garage for a couple of years so I’ve not seen it for a while. Have to dig it out and check it over.

Wibble
    Free Member

If you’re interested I have an old (1940’s at least) Rivett 608 lathe. American (Boston), came over during the war I believe. Works but has bits missing (change gears & tailstock – although has a made up drill attachment fitted). Cheap as chips though – relatively. Comes with some cutting bits. Pics available. Cheers,

shandcycles
    Free Member

Myford Super 7s rule.

it’s a numbers game by shandcycles, on Flickr

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lathes’ is closed to new replies.