Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Latex-free experiences with Stans ZTR rims – help and advice please!
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

Anyone run Arch EX rims tubeless with no ‘orrible latex fluid in? If so which tyres work? Sorry you’ve probably all done this to death but I can’t find much about going tubeless without fluid.

I am planning on trying Specialized Purgatory 2.3 2bliss – anyone have experience of running them tubeless minus the fluid?

Not going to buy tyres only to find they won’t seal up without fluid so any help would be much appreciated

Forgive my ignorance I have very limited experience of anything tubeless related

Cheezpleez

Stans rims are designed for use with sealant. If you want to ditch the sealant you need proper UST rims. Lots of people still use sealant with UST for extra puncture protection though.

What’s the problem with using sealant? Do you change tyres a lot?

br
    Free Member

Either buy UST rims/tyres or buy Stans rims/normal tyres and sealant.

IA

As above, why on earth no sealant? That’s half the point of tubeless.

If you want no sealant, you need to be on a full UST system. AS far as I can tell, the ONLY reason to do this would be if you need to change tyres or rims A LOT*

*The honda team used to run like this for DH.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

I’m latex intolerant so don’t have milk in my tyres.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

You don’t need milk in UST tyres. They have a butyl linning so can seal themselves. You need it in regular tyres on UST or regular rims as they can’t seal. Now stop arguing and MTFU.

I have spoken

FuzzyWuzzy

Just use Joe’s eco stuff if you’re allergic to latex http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=94753&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

Going tubeless without sealant is a bit odd, sure you get the lower rolling resistance and can run low tire pressures but surely the puncture ‘proofing’ is the main reason for most people?

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’m not completely averse to using the fluid but if they sealed up fine without it, then I still get the benefits of lower rotating mass, lower pressures and reduced chance of pinch flats

Just fancied trying it first without fluid, but yes looking through all the info on the Stans site it looks like I’ll be fighting a losing battle

Thanks anyway

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Stan wants you to buy fluid so he can make more money. He also tells you to drill your valve hole!

YOU DO NOT NEED MILK.

br
    Free Member

I’m not completely averse to using the fluid but if they sealed up fine without it, then I still get the benefits of lower rotating mass,

Except UST tyres are on the whole heavier.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve inflated mine without fluid and it worked fine. But it seems pointless, means you still get punctures which is half the reason I went tubeless, so I didn’t have to repair them in the rain imediately after riding through dogshit.

Doesn’t need to be UST, just airtight, I didnt even use stanst tape, just electrical tape and an old valve.

wilko1999
    Free Member

br yes UST generally are, hence one of the reasons I mention in my first post that I’m thinking of trying Purgatorys which are about the same/slightly less than my 2.35 high rollers in weight. Not UST, 2bliss. So I was wondering if anyone had got them to seal minus fluid.

I understand the whole puncture thing, but I never seem to get them other than pinch flats (I’ve gone and said it now) so I still thought the lower rotating mass, less chance of pinch flats and lower pressures would be worth trying. Couple of tubes in my backpack, Bob ist dein Oncle as they say in Germany.

IA

It’s my understanding that 2bliss tyres are designed to require sealant.

Here you go, from the horse’s mouth:

http://www.specialized.com/media/whatsnew/IG0290_revA.pdf

2bliss tyres need sealant.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I managed toget a few days out of them between pump ups, although they last indefinately with sealent.

For the sake of 50g of latex it’s not worth the faff of not putting some in. Especialy if they don’t inflate perfectly, then you’ll need water/soap, and by the time a load of that makes it into the tyre you may as well have used sealent.

Cheezpleez

I’ve inflated a Purgatory on a Crest without sealant. I’m sure it would be fine for a day or two without being topped up but, honestly, why bother?

wilko1999
    Free Member

spoon / cheez – putting the sealant in seems like the faff to me hence investigating if it is possible to get an almost as good result without using it. For some reason the whole sealant thing is putting me off. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get on with trying it.

I was hoping to hear some experiences of people trying it which is what I’ve received so thanks for that guys

IA

putting the sealant in seems like the faff

It’s as easy as putting a tube in IMO.

1) mount tyre (easier, no tube!), inflate to seat.
    2) deflate, sealant in thru valve (remove core)
    3) reinflate.

Changing a tyre:

1) pull half the tyre off
    2) suck sealant up into little squeezy bottle as used for 2) above.
    3) wipe sealant residue off with a bit of kitchen roll.
    4) as above to put new tyre on.

FuzzyWuzzy

Sealant isn’t a faff unless you’re changing tires every couple of weeks, it lasts at least 6 months IME and probably longer (I tend to wear out/change for the hell of it a tire before the sealant goes off).

wilko1999
    Free Member

Yeah I’m warming to it actually. Knowing the sealant will go through the valve stem has helped massively

Thanks for the input all

Northwind

Even if you’re going UST it’d be daft not to add a little sealant (as for Mavic UST, my valves weren’t airtight- once they’d had some sealant in them they sealed up)

Stans can be totally airtight as can 2bliss tyres (I popped a Specialized Control onto a Flow with no sealant, then got distracted before adding it and it stayed up fine) but I wouldn’t count on it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Latex-free experiences with Stans ZTR rims – help and advice please!’ is closed to new replies.