Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Las Vegas, riding
  • boristhebadger
    Free Member

Off to Las Vegas with some mates for a stag ‘week’ and looking to do some riding to act as an antidote to the nocturnal attractions. Does anyone have any experience of riding near the city? Would need bikes and ideally a guide. A quick Google revealed this:
    http://www.escapeadventures.com/activity/las-vegas-dayweekend-tours/las-vegas-day-tours-mountain-biking

Ride mostly XC at home so not looking for anything super tech just a few hours of sampling the local scenery. Any tips welcome.

clubber
    Free Member

any use? 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpqdbHKHvUk&context=C4ba52f7ADvjVQa1PpcFPYSLEZ–CSTRQmOd7ferVHhsu_3Dy5Vt8=[/video]

Mike_D
    Free Member
    boristhebadger
    Free Member

Good stuff, inspirational for a clubbing outfit for the stag to wear.

boristhebadger
    Free Member

Thanks Mike_D. will check it out.
    Have you ever ridden any of the trails?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Bootleg Canyon is where the Dirt Demo element of Interbike is held each year.
    The ridings pretty good but it’s barren and it’s hot!

It was over 30degrees when I rode there last September.

The terrain itself is good though, easy to follow trails, decent gradient and fun. Take it easy though cause it can be a bit like riding on marbles and I don’t imagine crashing there is a lot of laughs.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Im doing the same end of May. Id planned on Bootleg Canyon but think it might be a bit hot most of the day?

UncleFred
    Free Member

Call up Mcghees bike shop, they’ll sort you out with bikes and guides, i had a morning up at Red Rock Canyon, some very nice trails up there.

boristhebadger
    Free Member

Thanks all for the tips, will let you know how I get on

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I tried sorting out a berth on an organised ride with one of the shops. They pulled out on me because it was raining and I was the only rider who didn’t cancel. Was very disappointing.

timc
    Free Member

Just back from a week long stag do in vegas, do not waste your time riding there!!party central.

email in profile if you want some recommendations / avoids

Mike_D
    Free Member

As Richie says, it’s where the Interbike demos take place. And no, crashing there’s not fun 😉 Good range of trails from very mellow to really quite sketchy. Take LOTS of water. And sunscreen.

peterfile
    Free Member

Ditch the bikes and take a quad bike ride out to the Californian border instead.

I’ve done that a few times now and it’s amazing! Lots of variety between technical terrain and 70mph sections of open ground.

Take as much water as you can carry, and then take some more. First time I did it was in August and it was almost 50 degrees. Add in a hangover and a big quad bike to wrestle and you’re quite close to major organ failure 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

The zip line at Bootleg is fun

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo7to70-09Q&feature=related[/video]

plumber
    Free Member

My brother and I went with las vegas cyclery

they had a half day with a guide including a decent bike for $60

that was 2008 though

They picked us up from one of the main hotels on the strip and drove out of town for about 40 mins

Its one of the most amazing expreriences I’ve had – like riding through an oven, good dusty single track, great scenery

Plum

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Took my SS and rode over to the hills in the west. Lots of shot up white goods!

foofighter
    Free Member

Just got back myself – rode Bootleg two days. I drove out to All Mountain Cyclery – about 30 mins from The Strip but they also do Hotel pick ups. I guided myself but they also do guiding for groups. Bike hire starts at $55 for half day (4 hours). Once there you can ride to the trails.

If you look at the trail map the right hand side is easily navigable, on the left a lot of the signs have gone missing so navving is more difficult. Check out the Vid for a taster (BTW ‘International Freerider’ is tongue in cheek !)

[video]http://vimeo.com/40258273[/video]

On balance it is good for a spin but if you are looking for thrills Vegas has lots more to offer

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Las Vegas, riding’ is closed to new replies.