Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Large saddle bag for credit card touring
  • RickyRah
    Free Member

I’m looking to do some light touring on my carbon road bike. I can’t mount a pannier rack and I’ve been advised not to use a bar bag.

Top of my list at the moment is a Carradice SQR Tour. It has the right sort of capacity and I’m told it should be fine clamped to my aluminium seat post. Are there any other large saddle bags out there which I should consider? I understand the more traditional Carradice saddle bags tend to sway?

13thfloormonk

I’ve got a 2.7ltr Ortlieb.

Its waterproof, nice simple (and light) and seems pretty stable.

Its only just big enough for a pair of light summer trousers, a rolled up long sleeve baselayer and my flip flops (plus a small bottle of oil and a few wee sachets of chamois cream).

That, plus some fairly full back pockets, has seen me through a couple of two day stints on the road bike and barely affects the feel/look of the bike, which is handy.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The carradice stuff doesn’t sway if you use one of their mounts rather than just fastening to the saddle … Ton was flogging a nearly new bag and QR mount earlier for the right money.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I would take a good light weight rucksack like Lowe Alpin Rush you can enough in that easy and very stable if you use the straps across the chest etc.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I used a a seatpost mounted pannier rack.

I don’t think you’d cope with carrying all you need in a saddle bag.

druidh
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you use a bar bag??

13thfloormonk

I don’t think you’d cope with carrying all you need in a saddle bag.

Its called credit card touring for a reason, food drink and accomodation are bought along the way.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Always handy top have a change of clothing for the evenings otherwise by day two we will be able to smell you coming LOL I do a fair bit of touring on and off road. I use a lot of Merino gear but wouldn’t compromise my comfort in the evenings over a multi day trek.

iainc

I liked the Carradice Tour but went for the Slim as i don’t have a lot of seat tube showing and the tour is quite deep and would foul the back wheel.

cracking bag, same huge volume as Tour – fits a treat on my Jake The Snake.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2.7 ltr is plenty to squeexe in some realy lightweight trousers, a top and a pair of deck shoes, I’ve done 2 days with absolutly nothing but a spare tube, pump and multitool.

stabilizers

I can totally recommend the Carradice SQR Tour. Used on a 4 day and a 2 day tour this year. The 4 day tour was in april and we had a lot of rain and it was pretty cold up the NW Scotland. I used a handle bar bag as well due to the extra kit required but the saddle bag is pretty big in terms of what you can stuff in it. You dont notice its on the bike. For the 2 day tour in August I only needed the saddlebag.

I do have an aluminium seatpost but I would say the carbon would be OK as the bolt does not make contact. You could just use tape where the clamping bands are.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs S and I toured (and camped) for 3 months across the continent carrying our kit in 2x Carradice Super Cs and a bar bag each.

Id highly recommend a bar bag for valuables, or I suppose you could get away with a really good bum-bag.

If you go for carradice the SQR attachment is a must – it helps move the bag up ad away from the back of the legs and makes for an easy quick release. I still use my Carradice for commuting.

The bag itself is tardis like with a drawcord-topped waterproof skirt inside that comes up about 6″ above the bag top if needed.

aha found some more pics

RickyRah
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. I’m yet to hear a bad review of Carradice bags so I think that’s where I’ll go. It’s likely to be used for weekend trips and a longer 7-day tour across the alps in the summer. I’m thinking flip flops, shorts and a couple of t shirts for the evenings.

I was told that they can numb the bike handling?

Stoner
    Free Member

Ricky, our three month kit list

Camping

2 man Go Lite Den 2 Tent
    2x Thermarest 3/4 sleeping matts
    Custom double duvet
    JagBag double silk sleeping bag liner

Cooking & Food

Titan titanium pas (1.2l, 0.9l, lid)
    2x titanium sporks
    MSR pocket Rocket stove
    200g gas canister
    Full set of folding plates/bowls/mugs
    4x 750ml water bottles on bike
    lighter & matches

Bike gear & tools

2x On-One Pompinos
    Topeak mountain morph pump
    Kryptonite cable lock (10mm x 6′)
    Cateye 7 computer
    2x Carradice Super C saddlebags
    1x Altura Bar bag, 1x Karrimor Bar bag
    2x rear LED lights
    Spanner, bike tool, tyre levers, repair kit, spare cleats & bolts, Chain tool, spare links
    Spare brake cables, spare spokes, zip ties, pva tape, rag, silicon lube

Clothes (each)

Riding shoes, convertible for walking and bar flying
    Flip flops
    2x pairs socks
    2x pairs riding underwear
    Underwear for off bike
    2 ride tops
    1 off bike top
    1 pair convertible trousers
    1 pair of overshorts
    Montane Litespeed splashtop
    Swedish Down Smock
    Bike gloves
    Sunglasses
    Helmets

Toiletries

Shampoo
    Sunscrean
    Aftersun
    Bio soap
    Bar of soap
    Toothpaste
    Toothbrushes

Stuff

2x Penknives
    Sony SW radio
    Digital Camera
    Phone
    Phone 9v power converter
    note pad
    Pencils
    Silva 7 Compass
    Travel towels
    Spanish phrase book
    Candle
    Medipac
    Bag straps
    Map
    Needle & thread
    2x LED Headtorch

and

spare links,
    spare inner tube
    razor
    Bog roll

BTW our very out of date blog is here:
    http://pompinos.blogspot.com/

Stoner
    Free Member

not really, they just change the way the steering responds to input force. You get used to it in a bout 30 minutes.

Youre touring, not doing the Etape 😉 Bar bags are a very good idea, but make sure you have a shoulder strap for it.

druidh
    Free Member

RickyRah – Member

> Why wouldn’t you use a bar bag??

Better to have the weight more evenly spread back-front than it all hanging over the back wheel. Bar bags are great for keeping all your valuables handy and you can put a map or GPS onto it too. I use the map pocket in mine for a solar panel.

RickyRah
    Free Member

Thanks Stoner, your kit list is really useful. It sounds like an amazing trip you had! We’ll be staying in hostels and the like which will cut down on what we need to carry. At least it seems feasible to travel relatively light. I guess you wash your cycling kit out on an evening to avoid smelling like the proverbial Frenchman.

Stoner
    Free Member

also we wore merino socks and base layers. Merino wool is naturally antibacterial and can be worn for a few days in a row without smelling.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

My first tour was a week of hostel/B&B round the Dales and I borrowed a Camper Longflap which was not full. I realised that I had taken too much as some stuff remained unused. It’s all relative, as one member of the group was amazed at how light I was travelling. He had two large panniers and a rackpack but was only ever seen in cycling shorts, shoes and top so I don’t know what he had in there.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Carra SQR Tour is magic. Bike feels pretty natural with it on too.

rootes1

Yep another vote for carradice sqr tour. dead stable and waterproof and surprisingly spacious.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Large saddle bag for credit card touring’ is closed to new replies.