Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Laptop recommendations
  • Mush
    Free Member

Appreciate this is a regular question, but I’m looking for some advice on a new laptop. I need it to be fairly compact (up to 14″ screen) with a DVD drive and robust enough to be carted about as I’ll be starting a part-time masters soon.

The usage shouldn’t be too taxing; basic office functions (mostly excel, word and powerpoint), watching the odd dvd and internet browsing, spotify etc. I won’t be playing any games so I’m not bothered about having an amazing graphics card. Budget is up to £500.

The following options look promising, but any advice would be really helpful as I’m not too knowledgeable about computers:

HP Pavilion dm4-2101ea – £450 (my current preference)
    Acer Aspire TimelineX 4830T – £470
    Toshiba Satellite R830-181 – £450

Mush
    Free Member

Bump for the day crowd

IA

Dunno about those specific models, but in general, for a laptop you’re carting about, and that usage, any spec will be fine. More important will be build quality. Go find them in a dixons/pc world/john lewis/wherever and pick them up, play with them, see how sturdy they are. Try the keyboards out etc.

You don’t need to know about computers, if you play with a few, open/close them, pick them up, see if they flex/creak etc. have flaps that’ll break off on ports. You’ll know a plasticy bit of crap when you see one after you try a few.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve just bought this one:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_IdeaPad_Z370_in_Pink_1105897.html

Pretty good spec (i5, dedicated graphics), but a few quid over budget. I think it’s cheap because it’s very pink. Good size and seems tough.

Worth looking at saveonlaptops, they have some good prices and very quick delivery

Cougar

If ‘robust’ is a criteria, look at Lenovo. They’re forged in the fires of Mordor.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

If ‘robust’ is a criteria, look at Lenovo. They’re forged in the fires of Mordor.

That’s always my recommendation, I wasn’t aware they’d shifted manufacturing to Mordor though.

bruk

I have one of the Lenovo Ideapads and it is grand.

If you re going to be using it for your Masters then try going to PCWorld etc to check out the keyboards and how solidly built they are. Then buy it online from Dabs etc.

Most will be fine so it is how easy it is to type on and sturdiness of construction that will determine how you get on with it and how long it lasts.

Mush
    Free Member

Great, some useful points there. Not sold on the plastic lid of the Lenovo Ideapad – otherwise, it looks perfect. I’ll take a look in a shop to see what it’s like in person.

Thanks all.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Tesco..

14″ seems to mean less spec for your money..

I’ve got similar HP (bought last year from Tesco) and its pretty good. Free delivery, and cashback through topcashback etc..

matt_outandabout

Another Lenovo from saveonlaptops here and very happy – fast, feels robust.

bruk

I think the main reason Macs seem to last is that they are pretty chunky and built solidly as well as nice design.

My wife has a 5 yr old 13″ Dell laptop that was probably about a grand when she got it through work and it has nice metal body and still going strong.

To get full metal construction I think you may have to up your budget.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Laptop recommendations’ is closed to new replies.