Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Laptop recommendations?
  • nicko74

My venerable Dell XPS M1710 has given up the ghost, so I need a replacement that's suitable for moderate gaming (Crysis, but only occasionally, Fallout 3 etc) but still reasonable portable, with a DVD drive. And doesn't cost a fortune – think <£1000.

So, any suggestions?
    Ta

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Macbook.

Obviously, you'll have to budget for a fixie, man bag and an asymmetric hair cut too. 😛

rhys_gibby
    Free Member

A mate of mine recently bought a Samsung R580. Looked pretty darn good, not sure about it's gaming ability though. There are a few variants of R580 models so just get the most expensive one!

I'm still on my trustie 7yr old Acer so gaming, watching You Tube above 360p is out of the question and any new laptop looks amazing!

That's my 2 pence worth for today.

scrappy
    Free Member

i've got a sony vaio on the way, intel i7 740 QM processor, 1920 x 1080 HD screen (16.4"), blueray player, 8gb RAM, 500GB hard drive, 1 GB graphics card, win 7 pro, office package and some other software etc. Came in at £1500, but you can cutsomize your laptop to get the spec you want so you could get something similar closer to your price range. If your going for one, order direct from Sony, as it will be approx £100 cheaper than buying in Curry's / PC world etc as they cut the middle man out and you wont be able to customize it as much. Also save £50 delivery if you call them on phone rather than order on line. If you customize it, expect a 2-3 weeks delivery as it will be built in Japan and shipped over. I'm expecting mine mid week, so only week and a half wait.

MrNutt
    Free Member

build a desktop for home and then get a tarty netbook, like this for example: tarty netbook

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

This looked like a good deal in PC World at the weekend:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-vaio-vpcec2soe-wi-06559696-pdt.html

£450 saving over their recent price

only 900 vertical pixels screen but thats better than 768

nicko74

Bah, haven't had chance to stw in a couple of days, so thanks for the responses.
    I reckon I've probably narrowed it down to the HP DV6, Lenovo Y560 or similar – 15.6" laptops that aren't for gaming per se, but by the looks of it more than sufficient grunt for some GTA4, a bit of light work and, most importantly, pr0n in HD glory. hurrah! 😉

Cougar

For gaming you're looking at a graphics card with dedicated memory (so the Nvidia upgrade on the HP). Other than that, they're both pretty shiny.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Laptop recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.