Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Laptop Memory
  • Sidney
    Free Member

Hi all, thought i might use the STW hive to help out!

My old man has a Sony Vaio laptop. It only had 1GB showing up so I ordered some more. When I came to fit it I was a bit shocked to find two 1GB sticks fitted! I tried finding out which one was not working with no great success so I just added the new module. It still only shows 1GB. Does this mean part of the motherboard is fubarred? Any other options or things I’ve overlooked?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

The socket could be knackered, how old is the laptop? Does it definitely support >1GB?

ajf
    Free Member

Three options really
    [list]
    [*]Fubared memory[/*]
    [*]Fubared socket
    [/*][*]Fubared / old computer that can’t handle it.[/*][/list]

None really help you though unfortunatly

highclimber
    Free Member

when you check the system (right click My Computer) does it say 2GB (available: 1GB) Or words that effect??

if so the problem lies within MSCONFIG settings

go to MSconfig and selet the Boot tab and advanced options and make sure ‘maximum memory’ is checked

Sidney
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Sony Vaio ~ 4-5 years old. It should support >1GB. There are two slots and it was factory fitted with 2x1GB.

Right clicking my computer it says 1GB. I’ll try the msconfig and boot option.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Check the BIOS to see if it reports amount of memory installed.

Brooker99
    Free Member

this may be rubbish – but I’ve alway thought the memory modules need to be the same speed spec to allow them to work together.
    If they are different I think only the one will be recognised/seen.

Easy to check ajf’s suggestions though by trying each of the modules singularly in each socket which would also rule – you may then be able to check the speed of the modules through config or other bios…

duntstick
    Free Member

Nice, quick little free download here which will give you more info on your pc’s spec.

Piriform Speccy

cranberry
    Free Member

As Dave says, the BIOS is the place to check what is being reported.

If it’s not reporting 2Gb, take all memory out, try one module in each of the slots in turn, then try the other one – that should help you deduce if it is a chip or slot problem.

If the BIOS reports 2Gb, then it’s a software issue.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Laptop Memory’ is closed to new replies.