Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Laptop buying advice
  • jammiedodger
    Free Member

Can anyone offer me any advice on laptops?

I mainly use word, excel, internet, memorymap and store photos/itunes on my current laptop but need an upgrade.

I am looking at a laptop with huge storage to future proof my storage needs.

I have found one on budget (well a bit above, but nevermind!), with
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor SU4100
    (1.3Ghz, 800Mhz, 2MB Cache)
    Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium
    4GB Memory
    500GB Hard drive

My question is, will the processor hold me back? Am I better to downgrade the storage and get a better processor, or will I not notice the difference?

Any help or advice appreciated.
    Thanks

spock
    Free Member

tomzo
    Free Member

What is your budget?

spock
    Free Member

Its a tad overspecked for just everday tasks

jammiedodger
    Free Member

Budget was £500, but increasing to £600.

I like the acer timeline with the 8h battery. Should have mentioned I would like a long battery time, my current laptop battery annoys the hell out of me.

I also like the waffer thin ones!

jammiedodger
    Free Member

Spock – does that mean the processor would be ok? Commet website grades it a 2* (out of 5), that seems a low score to me. But I know nothing!

davey_clayton
    Free Member

It's a fairly low clock speed for a modern laptop. I bought a cheapo dell laptop 3 years ago and that had a 1.7GHz processor in (not dual core though). Windows 7 is supposed to be better (comparively I guess) on resources than previous versions but I installed it on a desktop with a 2GHz Athlon (again, not dual core) and 2GB RAM and it was pretty terrible.

zaskar
    Free Member

That processor looks naff on speed.

Does it have some addition to make it super speed?

What is its actual work rating? i7 laptops are out soon!

davidrussell
    Free Member

dell

just bought a dell studio 15 for 550 – nice machine. again probably overspecced but cheaper laptops have shiiiite battery life.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I don't think you'd notice a difference. The long battery life comes with some sacrifices, the lower specced CPU, but its more than adequate for Itunes, MS Office and tinternet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Laptop buying advice’ is closed to new replies.