Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Lapierre Zesty 314 OR Orange 5 pro?
  • dandan
    Free Member

Just wanting to find out what bike people think is the best buy, out of the two above, for riding uk trail centres and also peak district and scotland. I was also considering a Lapierre Spicy 316, but I am thinking it may just be a bit too much bike for the U.K, I always value the opinions of the members on this forum.

Thanks, Daniel.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Orange 5, others will argue but IT IS the best all rounder and should last longer no matter how common they've become.

dandan
    Free Member

appreciate your advice mate,suppose it don't get such high ratings for nothing! Just isnt as nice looking as the lapierres, I see Orange have not changed anything from the 09 model

hugh_b
    Free Member

They are both very good bikes. Personally i really like the looks of the lapierre, never ridden one but the spec seems ok. The most important thing is the ride…thats where the Orange is a definite favorite!
    I have ridden the orange and they feel fantastic, i think they look nice and ride fantastically (won trail bike of the year for the last 2 years). One of the main things about the Orange is that it's made in the UK, which to me is a big deal when your looking at spending that much money.
    The spec on the orange also seems better with hope brakes/hubs and the bolt through forks.

The orange gets my vote! As everyone says, a test ride will give you the best idea. If thats not an option go with the Orange, you won't be disappointed!

Hugh

markd
    Free Member

I sell both. have ridden both.

i own a zesty.

the only other 5 inch bike i would buy is a 575.

the orange doesnt appear on my list at all really.

dandan
    Free Member

Hugh do you own an orange five? nice post mate 🙂

Markd, whats your zesty like to ride mate, such a tough decision this is, looking to buy in october 🙂

charlierevell
    Free Member

Orange Five…. Just picked up mine and its amazing. It picks up speed like nothing I've ever ridden. Got an SE with V2's and 36's up front.
    Absolute dream, you wont be disappointed!

prettygreenparrot

I like the Orange. I don't like the looks of the Yeti. But I was more put off by the hideous Flash website Yeti have. Yuck! 'Our rides' – took me a moment to realize they meant the bikes they make rather than where they rode them.

dandan
    Free Member

get a picture up charlie, is it an 09, what did you pay for it mate?

markd
    Free Member

well i am biased. its amazing. got a coil in the rear too. 😀

laughingontheinside
    Free Member

Tested the Zesty 514 and the Orange 5 Pro. Bought the Orange 5 Pro. Make sure you haggle over the price with your lbs. Mine would not lower the price but after a couple of visits to the shop they did throw in the performance pack, Hope pack, Hope headset and coloured floating rotors for the price of the stock Pro. That is a lot of kit if you look on the Orange website for no extra cost.Really pleased with the bike.

hugh_b
    Free Member

dandan, i don't own one myself but my riding buddy's do! I might have gone for one if i could have afforded it but i went for the commencal as it was a frame i wanted to try for some time and have always liked!
    Personally i love my commencal and now wouldn't change it for anything but there not everyones cup of tea!

Out of the two bikes you have listed you can't really fault the orange, from what i have seen they are built to withstand UK riding conditions and built to last! Ok the Lapierre is lovely to look at and from what everyone says it rides well but it's not an Orange, you paying similar money for a Taiwanese made frame with a lower spec if you were to go for the Lapierre.

As i said a test ride is the best way to decide if thats possible, for me it wasn't but i looked over the geometry charts, reviews etc and went for it.

I know it's another minor detail but i suspect the orange will hold it's value better too.

Hugh

Hugh

Northwind

Dandan, try and get some trials… You mentioned trail centres and scotland, the Hub at Glentress has 5s, ST4s, Zestys of various flavours and at least one Spicy on the test fleet.

I had a go on a Zesty 514, and it was bloody brilliant. I don't like full suss much, personally, but it came closer to converting me than anything I've ever ridden, fantastic machine.

markd
    Free Member

and what pray tell is wrong with being made in Taiwan?

Northwind

hugh_b said, "you paying similar money for a Taiwanese made frame with a lower spec if you were to go for the Lapierre."

How true is that though? 5 Pro is £2500, same as a Zesty 514, and the spec is very similiar- except that the Zesty comes with better wheels (XT 778 with 15mm front axle, compared to the 5's pretty stingy 317s on Hope 2). It's a £120 upgrade to get up to 819s which are almost comparable with the XTs. The x comes with a Raceface crank as well, nothing against their cranks but the BBs aren't too hot, Zesty comes with XT which realistically is what you'd choose given any choice.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Wanted a Zesty but short legs (32" for 5'11") didn't work too well with LaPierre's high top tube. Got a Cube Fritzz. Unbelievable. So glad I did and it's really light for the travel (don't tell anyone though!).

dandan
    Free Member

laughingontheinside …… what is the name of your lbs that did you that deal?

thanks for all the fantastic information, looks lie the five is the fave

FuzzyWuzzy

I'd say they're pretty close on how well they ride so for me it would come down to looks and the Orange got hit big time with the fugly stick.

glynP
    Free Member

two of my mates now have lapierres (spelling is crap)anyway, they both love them and dont discount the spicy I'm amazed at how well it rides in tight singletrack its super agile. My other mate has the froggy and even it rides great in our local woods and we've also been up to fort bill and its done the downhill there, they really are great bikes.

Although I still love the fact that the oranges are made here. I'm a short arse though and the top tubes are very long, the only one that fits is the 14" and that looks horrible

stumpy01

I'm currently looking for a new bike around the £2k mark & have the Stumpjumper, Zesty and Fuel EX8 in my shortlist.
    I was gonna also try & ride an Orange 5 (a mate of mine used to have a Sub 5 that was nice), but the spec on the 5 seems quite steep compared to the other bikes. From memory, the basic 5 is more expensive than the Zesty 314 but the components aren't as good.

hora
    Free Member

Dandan, two different bikes. They'll handle differently. I definitely recommend test riding them both before deciding. Even if it involved a day of driving between shops.

I own a Orange5 frame

All the best. A GREAT Dilemma though.

dandan
    Free Member

Cheers everyone 🙂

This is my situation, I need some advice lol, I started riding in january of this year, and straight away fell in love with mountain biking, its on my mind all day everyday.. So anyway in march of this year I went out and bought a brand new 09 stumpjumper fsr comp and I loved it, I went to the peaks the other week and did some really narly rocky down hill stuff and the stumpy (120mm travel) didnt seem to enjoy the rough stuff as much as my mates 140mm bikes, so since then I have convinced myself that I need to buy a 2010 140mm travel bike.

Just because I can afford it (just about, would have to sell my stumpy) … does it mean that I should sell this virtually brand new bike, to get one of the above?

Sorry for boring you all but this is my dilema.. what do you think guys?

GaryLake
    Free Member

dandan – to be honest, a 140mm bike will be better down something like the peaks but maybe look at a beefier front tyre (if not running one already) and just working on your technique a bit.

I've got a Five and it's a truly magical machine but no bike is a silver bullet and the stumpy is still fairly competent. I think it's the case with most 140mm bikes, to really get the most out of them you need to be fit, strong and fast – the Five will look after cautious riders well enough but it really comes alive when you just try and ride the tits off it! (Of course you might be up to this, I don't know, just don't like seeing riders drop the cash and get nothing back for it, when all that was needed was just more time in the saddle)

Btw, I always cringe at the made in the uk argument for the Orange. Mainly cause there's no real proof that they're any better for it. What is important is Orange's evolutionary approach to bike design and the fact that they absolutely only sell something if they like it, ride it and if it survives*.

(*I'm not sure this applies to the G2/G3s)

dandan
    Free Member

Garry good post mate .. cheers

slowrider
    Free Member

the lapierre is a fun bike, i had a really enjoyable demo on it. went for a 5 though, just such a solid little ripper, esp with a 36 fork up front.
    as far as changes from the 09 model go, they have just slightly reworked the angles and tubing for the 09 frame and will of course be speccing 2010 suspension and components.
    also fwiw id rather have a set of hope hubs on mavic rims than a set of shimano wheels, regardless of which cost more. aside from the ease of servicing and flexiblity with front and rear axles, hopes customer service and warranty is absolutely second to none. shimano are appaling with warranty issues, though spares are still easy to find.

ryanwhite12000
    Free Member

dandan- Me and my bro recently demo'd orange 5 pro's at afan and we both fell in love. Sublime handling, in my opinion, great looking, and a simple single pivot(less to go wrong). Once i have convinced my wife that £2800 ( performance pack, hope headset coz i heard the standard fsa aint up to much and maxle rear end) is cheap for such a well made bike i shall be running to my lbs to put in an order. My bro, on the other hand is not so convinced by the premium price of said bike and has tracked down a trek ex8 at pedal on for aroud £1500 plus loads of bonus points to spend on goodies. By the way anyone looking for an 08 Focus Northen Lite hardtail? Need to sell it to fund the orange five.

GaryLake
    Free Member

No worries! By all means get some Demos though – it'll be the only way to scratch the itch – you'll either be happy with the stumpy or £2500+ worse off!

(PS, bet you'll buy the Orange ;))

saxabar
    Free Member

I can't compare them as I have not ridden the 5, although I have recently bought the 160. I tested the Spicy and wouldn't worry about it being too much for the UK. I found it was fine on the climbs and great fun on the descent.

Shandy
    Free Member

Dandan have a think about the Gary Fisher Roscoe. They are pretty well specced with the Fox double chamber shock, QR15 forks etc. I also rode a Yeti 575 with a set of float 36s on it and it flew downhill. Not cheap though and I would be a wee bit concerned about the carbon stays…

hora
    Free Member

dandan. You have a 09 stumpjumper fsr comp?

I'd invest in longer forks. Thats a bloody good bike to sell soo quickly. I imagine you would have bought it new/full price?

What forks are on there at the moment?

Im NOT a good rider but rode my old Chameleon hardtail down Walna Scar with long travel forks. I know a mate who is currently riding the coast to coast on a hardtail- start/across the Lakes.

I think if you tried longer forks you may be happy. Changing the whole bike for the sake of 2cm's on the rear- potentially upto a grand in cost extra? Try the forks first and a slightly larger rear tyre.

dandan
    Free Member

I am off to Glentress for 2 nights on sunday, can you demo fives up there? what is the cost to demo one… just spent an hour cleaning/polishing the stumpy has to be worth £1000 to 🙂 somebody

hora
    Free Member

Ps. In addition to the forks, I'd look at stem length and bar width. This is coming from a reformed-gearqueer as well!

Forks- Change the Fox Float 120 to Pikes or 140 Revelations. You'd notice a big difference.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Can 120 floats be extended to 140? My 140s are now down to 100 and on my singlespeed, but I've always been confused as to whether or not the ones that are 120 out of the factory are the same fork?

dandan
    Free Member

I have put a shorter stem on it, feels better… fox float 32 120mm fork on it now i think, may get a pike 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Agree on trying to beef up your stumpy a bit more first.

But if you want a new bike now you may have to take the Orange, since the Lapierres could well be out of stock for some time.

(I'd get a Reign once the 2009 sales start if it was my money though).

Northwind

"I am off to Glentress for 2 nights on sunday, can you demo fives up there? what is the cost to demo one…"

I think it's £40. But check with the Hub, they'll be able to tell you for sure.

retro83
    Free Member

I had a go on somebody's orange 5 at aston hill and loved the ride, but it sounded like somebody hitting a dustbin lid with a wooden spoon every time it hit a bump. The owner said it was caused by the box shaped swing arm.

Is this true or was his one just buggered?

GaryLake
    Free Member

They do sound a bit like throwing a bucket of spanners down the side of a mountain – that said, there's usually so much wind whistling in my ears from speed that I don't tend to hear it 😉

I did follow a mate who also has one and I was on a different bike at the time and remember thinking, holy shit does mine sound like that!?

hora
    Free Member

dandan, honestly try the forks first and possibly a bigger back tyre. I had a stumpy frame- sold it waaaay too quickly and TBH for mere mortals like us alot of the mid-travel frames could be seperated by fag-wrappers unless you are technically gifted.

dandan
    Free Member

I have a 2.2 inch tyre up front, 2 inch tyre at the back, s works the captain tyres.. I have changed my 105mm stem to a 75mm stem and the steering is much more responsive, do you think a 2.2 inch rear tyre and a beefier fork is the way forward?

anybody reccommend a fork and cheepest place to buy it?

thanks lads 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre Zesty 314 OR Orange 5 pro?’ is closed to new replies.