Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Lance spat with Times journo..
  • postierich
    Free Member

Has this been mentioned on here,Kimmidges remark was well below the belt.

aP
    Free Member

AFAIK Kimmage is only repeating what he’s said for almost 10 years.
    …and WRT the question about Landis and Basso – LA still doesn’t answer in any meaningful way.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Suddenly, I don’t like Lance Armstrong very much. I can’t put my finger on it, but I think there’s something not right behind that ‘Hero who overcame adversity to triumph’ squeaky-clean slick corporate image. I don’t wish to denigrate or in any way belittle his efforts to raise awareness of cancer, for that, he should rightly be applauded.

Kimmage isn’t the most popular figure in professional road racing, is he? Wonder why?

It’s a dirty, corrupt sport. Has been for far too long. Kimmage is one of the few to speak out, and has become a pariah, for this, for breaking the unbreakable code of silence that existed in the sport for so long.

But there’s something definitely not so sugary sweet and virtuous about Armstrong.

Hmm….

Lance Armstrong probably endured more scrutiny in terms of doping than any other rider at the height of his career so if he was dirty I think he would’ve been exposed a long time ago.

People only doubt Armstrong because the rest of road racing is so dirty.

Not that I care about road racing, but people seem to think there’s a conspiracy theory for everything. Why not just accept he’s a remarkable athlete and is innocent until proven guilty.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, I do find it a little unusual, that for such a ‘clean’ athlete, he refuses to have his wee tested. Why not just say ‘Oh go on then yer bastards’, be proved to have been clean, end of story? Then he could once and for all disprove his critics.

Unless….

grumm
    Free Member

Oh please – he comes across as a right tw*t in that video.

‘I got back into this for a very noble cause… to fight cancer….’ – no you did it because YOU wanted to.

justa
    Free Member

i actually thought he did well in that interview….

grumm – so he has an ego ?

thats hardly unusual and in the circumstances who can blame him?

grumm
    Free Member

Fair enough to have an ego but he can spare the tear-jerker stuff about the fight against cancer, and maybe answer the question.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lance should go into politics, the yanks would love it.

Love how he creates the “cancer is tragic I’m fighting it blah blah” puff of smoke to deflect from his meaningless answer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Huge ego and not the nicest of chaps – but folk rarely get to the top of a sport without that drive.

I am sure he is a drugs cheat – but he still did the training to get to where he is.

catshoe
    Free Member

I actually like him rather more after that. Yes of course he can be a strange person. Can’t we all?

nickc

There’s so much time/money/reputation invested in the “Lance is a cheat” Industry, that they’re forced into condemning him all of the time. He’s an easy target, and it sells copy. Road cycling may very well be a dirty game, but then so is some journalism.

Kuco

Seems like you can’t be good at any sport now days without someone accusing you of cheating. When Usain Bolt ran 9.69 in the Olympic 100m some people from the off were hinting he must be a drug cheat. Seems like natural talent and hard work doesn’t exist any more.

antigee

But there’s something definitely not so sugary sweet and virtuous about Armstrong.

maybe that’s what made him an exceptional world class athlete – clean or not the boy done better than the rest of the class

sq225917
    Free Member

A very measured and level headed response from Armstrong to someone he obviously dislikes greatly. I’m not applauding Armstrong’s position on cyclists who have been caught or commenting on whether i think he has always been clean or not, but i think he is the consumate professional.

nostoc
    Free Member

Armstrong is a doper – first epo then blood doping
    road cycling is a dirty sport and armstrong has done his utmost to keep it that way

wors

FFS He is the most tested person in sport yet he is still a doper. Why should he have his urine samples tested again? They were tested at the time and showed nothing end of. And to be referred to as Cancer is a pretty sick thing to say imo.

crazy-legs

Armstrong hates the Sunday Times for allegations that they’ve been publishing for years, he successfully sued them at least once for defamation of character/libel.
    Kimmage is the same as that other Irish journo, Walsh: they both have a vendetta against LA. For his part, while he may be no saint and he comes across sometimes as quite arrogant that’s not a crime. LA is certainly the most tested cyclist, if not the most tested athlete on the planet and he’s never been caught doing anything illegal. You can argue that a lot of other cyclists who are now proven to have doped weren’t caught either but in the eyes of the law he’s still innocent. You get the same questions about the same subject fired at you daily from people trying to catch you out, trying to prove a wrong and you’d be getting riled too.

nostoc
    Free Member

armstong is not the most tested person in sport
    never has been
    that is an armstrong lie

Ed2001
    Free Member

Personally I think there is a similarity between Kimmage and Armstrong they both have an inner bitterness. Kimmage in the way he was treated by the peleton because he didn’t/wouldn’t dope and then told tales ( naughty naughty no one likes a tale teller) and Armstrong because with every rumour, old team mate failing a test /admitting doping, tour scandal, whistle blowing expose devalues his seven tour wins. He watched Sastre winning on the Alpe last year going up slower than he had and his ego said you could still beat these guys and prove you did it clean. It wont happen Lance and for most fans you will always be just be a doper who didnt get caught. I think that might be some sort of justice. Anyway Im off to watch the tour of dopers (I mean California).

wors

armstong is not the most tested person in sport
    never has been
    that is an armstrong lie

and thats based on?

Junkyard
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I am sure he is a drugs cheat – but he still did the training to get to where he is.

so despite the absence of a positive drug test TJ you are sure. Seems reasonable enough is this not good enough *evidence* to get him banned then or does the lone voice of reason(TJ) carry less weight than say all those NEGATIVE tests?

We are used to so many drug cheats that we find it hard to believe when there is an exceptional athelete about.
    You cannot prove a negative what more can Armstrong do except keep passing dope tests?

Ed2001
    Free Member

It doesnt matter how many times he was tested because the tests could be fooled !!!!! ( in so so many ways) Marion Jones was tested 160 times and never failed one, she now admits using drugs throughout her career. Aldag, Zabel, Millar,Riis etc etc never failed tests they all now admit using drugs throughout their career. This testing line he uses and his apologists is BULLS**** which I hope people now see through. Also be aware he came back saying in Vegas he was going to be totally open using Don Catlin and publish all his results he has ditched him saying it was too expensive this from the man who donated $500,000 to the UCI. Transparency Lance you must be having a laugh.

nostoc
    Free Member

there is no test for blood doping

mudshark
    Free Member

For those that missed it:

previous thread on this

MrNutt
    Free Member

I find it almost impossible to contain my indifference.

BigCol
    Free Member

Oh come on chaps. All these claims about him having passed so many tests without a positive – what a joke….

What about people like millar, basso, ulrich, etc – they all passed many a test without a positive and yet later have been proven to be cheats. Millar was tested when he won the world TT championship – he passed the test but later openly admitted to EPO use!! Prior to the 98 TDF everyone was up to the eyeballs on stuff – they all got through the tests.

So given that Lance beat all these people who have later been shown to have been on PEDS, and given how much of a difference they make – then he really must be superhuman!!

What about the recent tests of his stored 1999 urine samples for EPO – they came back positive (EPO test not available 1999). There is still some urine left, he has been offered the chance to have it re-tested again at a facility of his choice, but he has declined….

nickc

What about the recent tests of his stored 1999 urine samples for EPO – they came back positive

After being tested 6 years after the samples were taken, and even the Lab that did the test said the results can’t be relied on.

I’ve never been a fan of “The rest are all cheats, therefore he is as well”

zaskar
    Free Member

I like Lance Armstrong, he answered the guy in a mature way without getting too angry.

Could be a publicity stunt.

Made us watch it.

Actaully studied EPO today…

Thing is-if you wanted a clean image you wouldn’t support people who got caught. They paid the price with punishment.

I think the punishment should be a complete ban forever-people caught would be kicked out and this may discourage cheaters.

Or encourage them to take a gamble. We’ll catch you though.

Thing is Urine protein analysis is a pain to test but we’re getting there.
    Most of the main errors are still in handling admin errors -look at the DNA database-it’s full of 100’000 errors.

Lance’s old samples will be argued that the sample is breaking down or evaportation which concentrates the proteins in the sample.

Go Lance! 😀

hora
    Free Member

Said it before Kimmage is a troll. **** off, hes like the annoying kid in primary school sticking a blunt pencil into your ear for a joke. ****.

To those who asked the question “if he’s so clean why won’t he have his wee tested”, I assume he has it tested after every race, so why should he have to take more tests.

I’m not a big Lance fan as road cycling doesn’t float my boat at all really, but the guy has shown great courage (or don’t the cynics believe he really had cancer either) and until someone shows me absolute evidence he is a drugs cheat, I won’t be calling him such or siding with the cynics.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Junkyard I believe on the balance of probabilities that he is a drug cheat – my belief my opinion. See EDs posts below yours.

Of course mine and others belief is not enough to ban him.

hora
    Free Member

To all the Lance knockers. In the nicest possible way, go **** yourselves 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQDjqAkLUB0&feature=PlayList&p=9EDD70AB3F773FF2&playnext=1&index=3

You must admit, even if he was smacked up to his t1ts, this is a stunning recovery yes?

IdleJon

“I’ve never been a fan of “The rest are all cheats, therefore he is as well”

How many TdF winners have admitted or were positive for drug use pre-Lance? Every one back to 91 if Indurain took dope.

How many TdF winners post-Lance how been found positive or admitted? Every one bar one, IIRC.

Obviously Lance was a lovely little window of innocence in a very doped up world.

How many of Lance’s team mates were positive AFTER they left USPS, Discovery, et al? (And I’m not just talking about Landis, Hamilton. How about all the domestiques who rode for Lance who were positive later?)

They must all have discovered doping as a mean of keeping up the same levels of performance as when they rode with Lance.

Surrounded by this level of cheating, you’d think that Armstrong would be able to answer a direct question about dopers. But no, he has a personal feud with Kimmage, so sidesteps the doping question. Again. And starts talking about cancer. Again.

pjt201
    Free Member

hora – even without watching it i agree with you!

Dougal
    Free Member

According to the Bob Parkin book, ‘A Dog in a Hat’ (real amusing read btw), Kimmage was as up to the eyeballs as the rest of the 80s peleton.

I would *really* like to think that Armstrong is clean, and since the tests are the best proof we have either way, I have to assume he is. Unfortunately many of my heroes have been tainted, but I still enjoy the spectacle of racing.

NZCol

A very interesting answer and to be fair to LA he manages himself in the most professional way I have ever seen. I’ve read Rough Ride a couple of times and while I know that juicing happens I also know that there are two sides to every story. I get drug tested randomly in and out of competition and its quite interesting, they can bowl up with **** all notice (although has never happened to me – only competition tests pre and post). I sort of do thnk Kimmage is making a bit of a t1t of himself now and sounding a little like the boy that cried wolf even though i believe he has a multitude of points.

hora
    Free Member

Again, if everyone was doping in the Pelaton. Lance still stood head and shoulders above the rest post-recovery. No?

The Lance-deniers want to constantly attack him when everyone was cheating but cant admit he was special, especially in light of his illness and recovery.
    But no, he has a personal feud with Kimmage, so sidesteps the doping question. Again. And starts talking about cancer. Again.
    Maybe he is sick of giving soo much airtime/time in the spotlight to an odious character? He wants to highlight Cancer but a journalist wants to labour a point again and again and again and again and again and again.

gtkid
    Free Member

IMHO Kimmage is a c*ck and LA answered that question very well. Without LA no-one would have heard of Kimmage, the word leech springs to mind. To refer to anyone as a cancer is sick. I also find it hard to believe that anyone who has been through chemo would then willingly pump themselves full of more chemicals. I am not a LA lover, I’m sure he is a hard minded arrogant man, but then what top athlete isn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Lance spat with Times journo..’ is closed to new replies.