Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Lake District trail sanitization
  • P7Pro

“Go further afield to find the rocky stuff.” The point of Moor Lane and bridleways around Grizedale for me is that it’s rocky and sheltered – Good bad weather riding.

The original point being made is vaild. If no one complains, then the council/NP will think it’s ok to keep “upgrading” tracks. Are there any mountain bike groups in the Lakes area who give advice to the council and NP?

amodicumofgnar

Rather than complain it would be better to contact the rights of way team and ask to be notified / consulted on any surfacing / upgrading works to be undertaken before they happen. Individual responces are valid but club / group responses are better – the numbers game again.

There are also a lot of different stages of enlightenment in countryside management and local authorities regarding mountain biking. Lancs does seem to be leading the field with the works in Lee Quarry and plans in and around rossendale. There’s even a couple of lines in one of the rights of way strategy docs for the west pennine moors about trying to create or maintain wilder / rougher upland bridleways because some mountain bikers and horse riders prefer rougher terrain.

And the OP – diplomatic silence.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And the OP – diplomatic silence

Unlikely. I think the bloke in charge of the works actually said they don’t need to consult with interested parties as their mandate to maintain rights of way is given. My experience in the past has been that even when you make contact, you are soon forgotten due to pressure of work, never mind the inevitable turnover of staff. Besides, I’m already far too busy riding and documenting rides to be bothered with futile ‘consultation’ :o)

amodicumofgnar

Isnt there another bogtrotter you could dispatch on consultation duties? Nothing wrong with documenting and consultation can sometimes it can seem futile but the more we try the further we get all be it slowly.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Isnt there another bogtrotter you could dispatch on consultation duties?

none seem to have emerged 🙁 I did have a go some years ago but found it excruciatingly boring attending meetings 🙁 Most of the members just want to ride their bikes and drink beer…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So simon – it is better to moan about trail repair as “Sanitization” than it is to engage to do anything about it to try to get it repaired in a way that suits you? You constantly moan about the repairs to trails in the lakes.

You do seem to forget the crucial point – one persons fun rocky trail is another’s eroded mess. These trails are for all – from experienced mountainbikers to ramblers to horses to inexperienced mountainbikers.

Your position is untenable.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Lake District trail sanitization’ is closed to new replies.