Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lake District suggestions.
  • scruff
    Free Member

Wheres your favoutire place base for riding and 3 best routes from there ?

Flashy
    Free Member

We stayed at the grizedale Forest campsite, very good and loads of choice of riding, depends what you like

joao3v16
    Free Member

My favourite, so far, was staying in Patterdale.

From there, there’s a few options of routes up Helvellyn (or that general directin, even if you don’t want to go to the summit).

Or, there’s a classic loop along the south shore of Ullswater and up onto High Street, dropping back down to the valley bottom and a mile or two back into Patterdale.

From Patterdale, it’s only a fairly short hop by car to Whinlatter, or there’s some routes around (& up) Skiddaw.

There’s loads more, but the above’s what I’ve done thus far.

scruff
    Free Member

Hmm, not been to Patterdale.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Home (Keswick): three good rides (but not the best as that can change from week to week):

1 – Coledale Horseshoe (probably anti-clockwise)
    2 – Skiddaw, Longside, Ullock
    3 – Robinson over to Dale Head, High Spy, Maiden Moor, end off Catbells

honeybadgerx

Chapel Stile campsite is quite good, pretty big so you can nearly always get a quiet pitch to yourself, facilities are decent, plus you’re then handy for the Britannia Inn in Elterwater (excellent food and beer). There’s a number of rides from there over to Rydal Water, round Little Langdale, or if you’re feeling adventurous, up over the top of Langdale in Borrowdale, etc. Also handy for Ambleside for a day off and plenty of good walking and climbing near.

Otherwise as noted above, there’s loads of riding (natural, not just the North Face trail), around Grizedale including one of my all time favourite bits of trail (the rocky river bed run heading back towards the visitor centre).

crispo
    Free Member

Youth hostel in keswick.

We did whinlatter and Borrowdale, had we had another day we would have done skiddaw too!

Keswick is good as lots of ammenities and pubs for the evening.

Looking to see what the other good suggestions are.

scruff
    Free Member

Just to add to the specifics- good camping and better beer are high priorities.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Personally accomodation for me:
    Wife’s grandparent’s house in Caldbeck
    Wife’s godmother’s house near Mungrisdale
    Wife’s family cottage towards Ullswater 🙂

Tried to list fave rides, got to 10 and figured its easier to say “anywhere”.

I like the Lakes 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Oh, go on then:

Ullswater & Beda Fell
    Sticks Pass
    4-pass epic from Seatoller
    Old Coach Road & any number of loops over Back O’Skiddaw and Blencathra
    And further south, I’m very fond of Parkamoor, but its been a few years.

grum
    Free Member

I’d stay somewhere near Ambleside (not sure about the camping though). Golden Rule pub in Ambleside for beer (and Biketreks for a bike shop).

Iron Keld and Loughrigg Terrace route from VG book
    Something involving Claife Heights and Grizedale Forest
    A great out and back going over to Kentmere via Jenkin Crag/Garburn Pass

clareymorris

Echo the Patterdale and keswick options………..when are you thinking ?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Ullock pike – best descent in Englandshire.

4 passes from seatoller – awesome big day out (pint of loweswater Gold at wasdale head Inn 😛 )

harter fell nan bield kentmere – has a bit of everything

A good short one from Patterdale
    Patterdale up to The Knott, along past Satura Crag and Angletarn crags to Boredale Hause and the great trail back down to Patterdale

postierich
    Free Member

My fave @ the mo
    Staveley to Sadgill Haweswater to nan bield down to Kentmere 3 rivers back to Staveley
    Bowness Ferry, Claife,loop around Iron Keld, Hawkshead Vicarage Lane bits of the NF trail Parkamoor,Satterwaite Breasty Haw,Far Sawrey.

Borrowdale Bash is a good route as long I you use the footpaths instead of the road it tells you to use

No uplifts available though 😉

Rich

GreenRoom
    Free Member

No uplifts, and thank god for that.

Personal faves include up the Struggle and then up Red Screes (30 – 45 min carry), and down the other side into Ambleside, The old Helvellyn classic north to south, another vote for Ullock pike descent off of Skiddaw. And if you’ve got a big enough bike or balls, the descent off the east of Nan Bield is exciting, best approached by going up Garburn, turn right at the top to go up to High Street, around the corrie rim and down to Nan Bield. Down to Haweswater, and back up over to Longsleddale to finish back at Kentmere via Sadgil. Big ride that one, take some energy bars. Pint in the eagle and child in Staveley is hard to beat.

miguel73
    Free Member

Ullock pike looks well good!

lowey

Hmmm, last few years for our lads biking weekend we have based at the Old Hall campsite in Coniston. Riding hardly needs much introduction as you have Walna, Dunnerdale, Grizedale, Tilberthwaite and Little Langdale all in easy reach. Excellent ale in Coniston Village too, 5 mins off road ride from the site.

This year however we are going to Keswick. Excellent and plentyful ale houses in town and the riding is just superb from the site. Skiddaw, cheeky run up Blencathra in the evening, Borrowdale, Sticks and Helvellyn and Newlands all easy to get to from the tent. We did stuggle a bit getting a site that would allow a group on in Keswick, but got sorted in the end. I cannot wait!!!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Lowey: give us a shout if you want to sit down with a map and a pint when you get to town – Stoney and I will be happy to oblige !

lowey

Balls to the map, but would be great to have a beer or 5 with you lads! I’ll drop you a line on FB nearer the time Paul.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

[
    You just need a “Satgav” lowey 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lake District suggestions.’ is closed to new replies.