Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lake District road ride advice…
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some decent road circuits in the Lakes. I’m heading down to an hotel in Bassenthwaite tomorrow and I’m looking for a couple of options in the 40-60 mile range. Hilly is good.

Obvious option would be a circuit via Derwent Water, Honister Pass, Buttermere, A66 back to Bassenthwaite. Bit on the short side and I’m not sure what the A66 will be like to ride on.

Any advice? Alternatives?

Ta!

SC

paulevans
    Free Member

You could try Bassenthwaite through to Keswick and then head down towards Ambleside taking the quite road western shore road around Thirlmere.

Once in Ambleside then climb up The Struggle onto the top of the Kirkstone Pass and then down the other side past Brotherswater, along Ullswater and then left and up an over Mardale and head back to Keswick and Bassenthwaite. That should be 40-50 miles or so.

aP
    Free Member

How about Little Crossthwaite, Kewick, Portinscale, Grange, Rosthwaite, Seatoller, Gatesgarth, Buttermere, Brackenthwaite, Low Lorton, Wythop Mill, Dubwath, Bassnethwaite?
    Admittedly its about 65-66 miles, but should give you some lumps… Alternatively go over Newlands Hause?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Bassenthwaite village,Uldale, Caldbeck, Hesket newmarket, Mungrisedale, back road to Scales A66 down to Threlkeld village Keswick main road back to Bassenthwaite, The a66 is a busy road so you could do this anti clockwise to get it done early

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Ok guys. Thanks for suggestions so far.

I’ll plot them out on ridewithgps and see how they look.

Any roads to be avoided?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

all those are good loops. I’d be tempted to head out towards Braithwaite, up over Whinlatter, then follow the Fred route but cut back towards Buttermere, over Honister and back via Seatoller & Keswick. It’d be shorter than 60 though.

ampthill

I don’t think I’d want to ride the on the A66 across the top of the lakes

The A591 road down to Amleside would not be ideal either

nether is unbridgeable but with much better around why bother

TomB

Wherever you go, if heading into the fells south wards the lanes between cockermouth and castle inn (for bassenthwaite) are a good way to start or finish. The golf course hill can provide a sting in the tail if needed!

I would go for something involving honister, Newlands, whinlatter, loweswater, fangs brow then return. Especially if you haven’t ridden the passes before. Avoid a66 wherever possible.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Lots of good advice – cheers all.

The lanes you mention, TomB, look like a good way to stay off the A66. I hadn’t noticed them until I zoomed right in.

Whinlatter and Honister look like the meat of my route.

SC

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Enjoy Honsiter Stuart 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Braithwaite> Over Whinlatter> Newlands to Borrowdale> Honister> Back over Whinlatter
    Used to be my Friday afternoon loop
    You can add in some of the C2C over towards the coast to extend it.

Again avoid the A66 as Whinlatter gets you another pass and less hassle, also avoid the 591 as it’s too tight and twisty + racetrack at times.

Variations on this
    https://www.strava.com/activities/8335532
    https://www.strava.com/activities/5592545

karnali
    Free Member

Whinlatter new lands honister out past crummock then left over scale hill and fangs brow, ullock then dean right at crossroads to deanscales eagles field right again cross over the main road down through southwaite mill straight over crossroads 2nd left to cross 66 at embkeron up past the golf course right at top down higham hill, left past new distillery left over Ouse bridge right at castle in first left to bassenthwaite and if there is anything left in legs up rovinhood climb from bass village which is a left before the bridge.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lake District road ride advice…’ is closed to new replies.