• This topic has 71 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mt.
Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Labour are really struggling
  • oldbloke
    Free Member

That’s Strathclyde though – half the country lives in Strathclyde.

You have to live with it just the same way everyone else has to live with closed road Sportives, Critical Mass, Pedal on Parliament, Edinburgh Festival and all the other events that cities host. Marches need permission, so if you don’t like them, object.

seosamh77
    Free Member

You don’t think it’s disproportionate?

igm

Glasgow’s a strange place. I grew up there.

Remember this is the same city that gave Nelson Mandela freedom of the city in 1981 and renamed the location of the South African consulate “Nelson Mandela Place” in 1986. This kind of thing was lading the rest of the UK and Mandela turned up to say thanks in 1993.

So they are well aware of discrimination and general nastiness and don’t like it. That said sectarianism is alive and well, though a little more complex than most outside observers can see.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Some people love marching, some people don’t. Orange Order loves marching. Ancient Order of Hibernian barely manages to carry on existing, let alone march. Either arrange more other events, campaign to cut some orange ones out or let people get on with their marching. Not a lot of other options.

binners

Maybe they could start a drumming workshop instead? They certainly seem to like their drums. Get some bongo’s in there too, and maybe Bez on maracas and you’ve the makings of a good day out for all sections of the community

seosamh77
    Free Member

oldbloke – Member
    Some people love marching, some people don’t. Orange Order loves marching. Ancient Order of Hibernian barely manages to carry on existing, let alone march. Either arrange more other events, campaign to cut some orange ones out or let people get on with their marching. Not a lot of other options.

I’ve nothing to do with republican marches, I think they are as ridiculous.

I’d think another option would be to expect the government to grow a back bone on this issue, it’s pretty clear they aren’t wanted by the majority of the population.

MSP

I’d think another option would be to expect the government to grow a back bone on this issue,

You realise there has not been a labour government for a while now?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d think another option would be to expect the government to grow a back bone on this issue,
    You realise there has not been a labour government for a while now?

yes, I’m pointing the finger at the SNP government too. My initial gripe on the thread is with the Labour council, as they are actively courting the orange vote(why I don’t know) but the government could override them on the issue, but choose not to.

MSP

Don’t forget the Tory UK Government, it seems the only ones coming out of this with any credit is the libdems 😆

oldbloke
    Free Member

It is a local authority issue.
    Glasgow capped the number of parades and created new rules on marshalling which should cut down the number by increasing the obligation on organisers. Probably worth seeing how well that works.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Seems to be going well.

Saturday 6 June 2015
    County Grand Orange Lodge Of Glasgow Holland St More Info

Sunday 7 June 2015
    County Grand Orange Lodge Of Glasgow – East Group Glenpark Street More
    County Grand Orange Lodge Of Glasgow – North Group Corn Street More Info
    County Grand Orange Lodge Of Glasgow – South Group Clyde Place More Info
    County Grand Orange Lodge Of Glasgow – West Group Kelvinhaugh Street More Info
    Drumchapel Orange & Purple District 57 Kinfauns Drive, Orange Hall More Info
    Glasgow District 3 Wishart Street More Info
    Glasgow District 3 Kennedy Street More Info
    Glasgow District Lodge No.12 Wishart Street More Info
    Glasgow District Lodge No.12 Cumbernauld Rd/Aberfeldy Street More Info
    Glasgow Southside Orange And Purple District 49 Barrland Street More Info
    Govan District Lol 42 Brand Street More Info
    Kelvingrove Orange Order And Purple District 29 Blackie Street More Info
    Maryhill Purple & Orange District 46 Sandbank Crescent More Info
    Orange & Purple District 11 Sunnylaw Street More Info
    Orange & Purple District No.50 Dalmarnock Wishart St More Info
    Orange & Purple District No.50 Dalmarnock Mordaunt Street More Info
    Orange And Purple District 37 Wishart St More Info
    Orange And Purple District 37 Tullis Street More Info
    Partick Orange And Purple District No 15 Beith Street More Info
    Sunday 7 June 2015
    St Rollox Orange & Purple District Number 10 Wishart Street More Info
    St Rollox Orange And Purple District Number 10 Millarbank Street More Info

Cougar

What other minority gets to troop up and down the street in a miltaristic fashion about 800 times a year and finish it off with a george square gala day?

All of them, if they like, no? What other minorities don’t get to do that?

Northwind

oldbloke – Member

You have to live with it just the same way everyone else has to live with closed road Sportives, Critical Mass, Pedal on Parliament, Edinburgh Festival and all the other events that cities host.

Honestly don’t think these are relevant comparisons. You know it takes 1 policeman for every 6 orange marchers to maintain order? Can’t remember the last time pedal on parliament led to a girl being bottled either.

The order likes to say “There’s not usually much trouble” and that’s right- it’s because of the massive police presence and because anyone with half a brain who doesn’t own a union jack makes themselves scarce. And that’s it’s own problem.

ninfan
    Free Member

Sick of all this, I think all these vocal minority groups should be forced to wear some sort of visual identifying band or item of clothing so that the rest of society can spot them easily.

If it was the right colour it might be good for road safety too – especially with them always walking down the middle of the road and all that!

Cougar

Sick of all this, I think all these vocal minority groups should be forced to wear some sort of visual identifying band or item of clothing so that the rest of society can spot them easily.

Surely if they’re vocal, they’re easy to spot?

seosamh77
    Free Member

put it this way, a direct comparison(a linked group imo) is EDL marches. Would you like the EDL to be marching 7/800 times are year in your area?

MSP

Like a yellow star maybe?

ninfan
    Free Member

Surely if they’re vocal, they’re easy to spot?

No, that would make them easy to hear…

like a yellow star maybe

I think that ones taken

seosamh77
    Free Member

MSP – Member

Youse are losing the plot if you are trying to label me fascist. It’s well known fascist elements in scotland cling to the orange order.

oldbloke
    Free Member

‘Tis the run up to 12 July, so they’re all out.
    And then after that date, there’ll be next to none and everyone else gets a go. It isn’t anything like as bad as the Edinburgh Festival – 4 weeks of almost gridlock.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Orange Pasty-faced White Men, shurely?

oldbloke
    Free Member

Honestly don’t think these are relevant comparisons

It was in relation to the concern of having to avoid areas for traffic congestion. I’m fully aware of how difficult Orange order marches are. Or worse, going on the Irish ferries with the kids when the NI based fans were going to or from Old Firm matches.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Depends how sunny or pissed they are I would imagine

Northwind

ninfan – Member

If it was the right colour it might be good for road safety too – especially with them always walking down the middle of the road and all that!

Some sort of bright orange garment?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

12th July…

*sigh*

My birthday. 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have to agree with Seosamh on this, I don’t see why they all need their special day. Have a big march on the twelfth if you like, once a year, then let the rest of us get on with it. Also agree re the republican marches, they’re a bunch of clowns as well.

I was brought up in a town that had numerous groups of these farkwits, the vast majority are just louts.

As suggested above, it’s like the EDL marching through your area.

ninfan
    Free Member

Good Idea Northwind

Nobody’s going to run this feller over are they

bencooper
    Free Member

When I was a kid, they used to do a march up our road. Fishing twine tied across at ankle height was beautifully effective.

Not that I’d ever condone that, though – not unless you’re a fast runner.

Rockape63
    Free Member

squirrelking
    Free Member

Of all those shouting down a banning order, how many have to live with it? Precious few I’d imagine. I doubt any of you have any actual idea of the level of knuckle dragging hatred we’re talking about. Mason Boyne wasn’t a parody, it was a near accurate portrayal of the sort of mindset these people have.

It’s a farce and quite honestly nothing more than a willy waving contest to show what a turnout of **** they can muster, a **** embarrassment of a plook upon the nation.

Maybe a ban is going the wrong way but it should be inconvenient to the point of non-viable for them to hold a march more than once a year.

konabunny
    Free Member

So you’re okay with the state suppressing free speech so long as it doesn’t do it transparently?

Big lolz at the people saying they wouldn’t ban political expression so long as people don’t do it too often.

Whooooooooooooshhhhhh

mt
    Free Member

Some one should tell them that Oranges are not the only fruit.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Labour are really struggling’ is closed to new replies.