Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • KS i900 minimum insert?
  • GeeJay86
    Free Member

Hi all,

I've got a KS i900 seat post that I've always stuck to using at the minmum insert, but am beginning to think that it isn't *quite* long enough to get my optimum pedal power down.

My question is – how essential is the minimum insert mark on the i900? From what I understand on 'normal' seat posts, the minimum insert is more about protecting the frame than the seatpost, but obviously they're just a tube of metal.

On the i900 the minimum insert is quite a lot, and I'm wondering if I can get away with raising it an inch without causing any damage, or is it time for a length upgrade? (no suggesting comments please :P)

Here's pics:

Where I run the i900 usually:

Where I propose to run it (should be okay going by the 'half way up the frame weld' rule) :

Minimum insert on the Spesh seatpost:

bigyinn
    Free Member

In you first pic, the IS900 is about an inch below the weld on the seat tube, which is as high as i'd consider running it. The pic with the spesh seatpost is waaay too high.

The min insert is mainly to protect the post, but a post is a LOT cheaper to replace than a frame.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Most likely that frame will have its own minimum insert level that should override that of the post. That level will be designed to prevent the leverage force of the post from ripping the seat tower away from the top tube. You'd be very wise not to exceed that limit.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘KS i900 minimum insert?’ is closed to new replies.