Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Kona Explosif 650b
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just seen this on Bikerumour

Anyone else think it looks rather tasty?

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Yes ! On my list of potential hardtails

amplebrew

I love the frame finish on these new Kona’s and think the more traditional decals look great.

greenman
    Free Member

How good is 650 tyre choice at the mo?

mangatank
    Free Member

I like an Explosif. Those 650b’s look big though. Surprised at that.

Sancho
    Free Member

im weighing up one of these bad boys its the same finish as the unit, which looks ace (for a 29er 😉 )

ska-49
    Free Member

Looks lovely! I’ve got a test ride booked to check out this 650b stuff..

17” frame weight with dropouts, clamp and headset cups= 5.73lbs
    17” complete stock build= 27.9 lbs

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Saw one in the flesh here http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/

Looked really, really nice in real life, photos make it look a bit odd, but that isn’t the case. Definitely made me look again, and I’ve never really considered a Kona before.

It all just looked “right” for want of a better description. In proportion, unlike so many 29ers that just look like gangly beasts, with stupid sized wheels.

How good is 650 tyre choice at the mo?

Pretty sure it had Maxxis Crossmarks on, if that helps.

ska-49
    Free Member

I test rode this today- great bike! AWCycles in Reading has a 19” test bike. I took it out without any view on 27.5/650b because there hasn’t been much about them in the media that I’ve read. The bike is very nicely finished and the raw frame with orange decals is to die for. Love it!

The bike handled very nicely and felt neutral- good climber and fun descender. It was happy enough to get the back end out and even manual (despite the wrong size). The wheel size felt different but also strangely familiar (this makes no sense, I know). I’ve been riding 29ers lately but grew up on 26” and this wheelsize feels nice and it slots into the middle nicely. I need a 17” so the TT (with longer stem) felt a big long but I still had great fun. Weight is 28lbs in the 19” size stock which I think is very reasonable considering the steel frame, etc.

I test rode the whyte t129s straight after. I know they are very different bikes but I just wanted to jump on a 29er straight away to see the difference. I see why 27.5” was made. It seems to slot nicely into the wheelsize group.

If any one is looking at the Kona I’d grab a test ride. Brilliant fun. Just forget about the wheelsize whilst you ride it. 120mm travel seems perfect for the bike and the geometry is spot on. It’s just dying for a dropper..

(I only went in to have a ride and ended up leaving £1500 lighter and not with the road bike that I had in mind. Picking it up at the end of the week.)

* Disclaimer: This is just what I thought. Different wheelsizes suit different people. I’m no salesman. I don’t care what wheelsize/bike you’re riding as long as you’re riding.*

AdeC
    Free Member

I think thats the most unbiased 650b review I’ve read. Nice one fella

Paceman
    Free Member

+1 love the disclaimer; a great review too.

andyl
    Free Member

that does look lovely indeed. What size frame is in the photo? The wheels do look 29erish there.

starrman82
    Free Member

This one has a different frame that the one on Wheelbase, the seat tube is straight on the one above.

ska-49
    Free Member

The one in the photo is 15” or 17”.

Edit: Wheelbase and other sites are using a photoshopped ’12 Honzo frame. All Explosifs have a straight ST.

tang
    Free Member

Looks great!

bjorn2d2
    Free Member

Looks great where did you get your test ride.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Not Reynolds. Do not want. But it looks nice.

bjorn2d2
    Free Member

stupid me its on the first line of your review

jamj1974

17” frame weight with dropouts, clamp and headset cups= 5.73lbs

WTF! What is it made out of? Lead…?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Kona Explosif 650b’ is closed to new replies.