Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice about old Kona impact 1" headset please.
  • PUGSLEYNUT
    Free Member

Hi could do with some advice on how to take apart the forks, stem and headset on a old Kona Muni Mula im working on for a friend,
    i can see that you undo the small allen bolt and unscrew the collar which releases the presure on the bearings but how do you seperate everything , does the stem come out like the old quil type with a wedge , how is the fork tube attached ?
    i cant make it out, it is all a little corroded so dont know what i should tap or give a little persuasion.
    any help would be great.
    PN

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a quill stem – so undo the quill bolt and give it a wallop to free the quill (hopefully). Then loosen the clamping Allen key on the headset, and the top race will then unscrew from the forks.

Getting the quill out is likely to be the fun bit.

PUGSLEYNUT
    Free Member

thanks very much will give it a go tommorow.
    PN

pebble
    Free Member

If the headset is 1 1/8″, I have a brand new old stock Kona headset to fit the bike and make it like new.

Muni Mula was brought out in 1995 so should be 1 1/8″ size.

If interested, e-mail me @ robin.stones@tesco.net

005 by Bikes2010, on Flickr

jamj1974

Pebble. I would be interested in that if the OP is not.

J

pebble
    Free Member

ok mail me, I have more than one available

zippykona

This should have been adopted rather than aheadset. Sometime go back in time and sort it please.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a fantastic system. I’m thinking of making a quill stem system – can do it using a Ring-O-Star type device if the steerer isn’t threaded.

PUGSLEYNUT
    Free Member

Thanks for advice , got it all apart know, all seems fine just in need of greese .
    Thanks for help
    PN

jamj1974

Pebble.

YGM.

J

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice about old Kona impact 1" headset please.’ is closed to new replies.