Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Knee Problems – Recurring….
  • viv
    Free Member

Hi

I get really horrid twinges and then cramp ( or what feels like nasty cramp ) on the inside of my knees on long rides, 2.5 hours etc…. I dont ride spds and just have five tens on atomlabs, I think I got it the other day due to switching to my lapierre from my patriot but both bikes have a similar set up and saint cranks. The only difference being the ride the other day I was putting lots of power through in some sections because the mud was stickier and thicker than normal – but just applying a touch more power here and there shouldnt have caused the problem. I played squash the night before, then then im often playing squash….

As it tend to keep happening is there anything I can do to avoid it? Is this a typical problem?

Suggestions?

Ti29er
    Free Member

I'd try clipping in to Crank Bros (personally find SPD's not to my liking) as I experienced just this on the Montane Kielder 100 when I had an Egg beater fail and rode with a replacement flat pedal on just one side (an error in itself I think).

CRC are selling Candy pedals for £20.

Playing squash places extra loads on the front lower part of the patella as you lunge and stop quickly on a court, something I can't do any more, but it may be inflaming the area around it.

PS – just re-reading, do you mean physically inside the knee joint or on the inside of the knee, as in facing inwards but on the outside of the actual joint?

scud
    Free Member

Hi mate,

i'd go and get it checked, the action of cycling is actually slightly unnatural for yours knees as a lot of peoples knees point out slightly. I had lots of problems and went to a shop where they sell Specialized cycling shoes where the correct this in the shoe itself with a shaped insole, pain stopped over night.

We way to check this, and you'll look daft doing it, is to squat one legged with the other foot hooked behind, with your foot facing forward, squat down, if your knee continues to point directly forwards over the foot you are fine, if it turns out or inwards, this is what they need to correct.

viv
    Free Member

Ti29 and scud – Hi

Just to re-reiterate, i DON'T use spds. I use flat pedals.

The pain feels like the bit where my quad joins my knee ( that bit that bulges on the inside ) – friends say its not cramp as that tends to burn in the middle of a muscle – not the ends.

Ti29 – I did feel a dull ache going over the tops ( or through ) the front of me knee cap, this probably IS squash related.

Scud – great suggestion but I kinda dont want to switch to spd shoes…..

jedi

vastus medialis oblique (bulgy muscle) needs massage. you cant stretch this muscle

viv
    Free Member

Jedi – quick google and I think your right, thats the part that is killing me.

So shall I just rub it after a ride? Anything I could do in the gym for it?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Try different pedals for your starter for 10 Bamber!

Wiki has some suggestions re: exercising it, so maybe a trip to a spports physio (£30?) will not only confirm / deny what Jedi said but he'll / she'll give you specific exercise to perform to sort this out.

Next patient please …

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

My money is on none of the above.

viv
    Free Member

Well cheers PFTF!

If anyone has had similar issues and found a way around it id be interested to hear their story….

Ti29er
    Free Member

How bizarre!
    Why would anyone come onto a web forum, think their contributions worthy of some effort on their part and yet do nothing but condem those replies – as above PFTF – and at the same time not offer up a single constructive sentence?
    Bizarre bahviour and worthy of all possible scorn and derision.

solarider
    Free Member

If it is cramp and only occurs on long rides, you just might not be hydrating and replacing salts enough. That is the usual cause of cramp. Might be nothing to do with your pedals and everything to do with what's in your camelback/bottle.

Take in more fluids, add electrolytes to your water and see what happens.

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Without having ever met you I predict that your adductors are stupidly tight and that this is the cause of your problem. You see when you try and stand with your legs apart sideways, what kind of angle can you get to? My guess is around 90 degrees at a push.

Ti29er
    Free Member

90 degrees?
    He'd topple over is both feet pointed out at 90 degrees.
    Mind you, you could always play Daffy Duck. 😉

Can you explian this a little more as I am unsure what "your legs apart sideways" means?

Is it that you're standing with your feet apart (at say shoulder width – 2ft sort of distance apart)? The angle – is that for the feet or the legs?

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Think side splits.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

HI Viv,

Could be a compilation of problems! TBH you'll be extremely lucky in obtaining a solution via a web forum. You need to see a reputable sports physio who can understand the nature of your lifestyle and preferred sports.
    I'm feeling muscle imbalance/over dominant quadriceps/weak HS or worse 🙁
    Does the pain/ache feel 'inside' the knee?

LT

EDIT: …with a whiff of Patella maltracking

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Love tubs. Are you going for the whole tool shop with that diagnosis?

viv
    Free Member

Love Tubs – it basically feels like the vastus medialis oblique that jedi mentioned is cramping. I wouldnt say that the pain was inside the knee- rather its around my knee but on the inside of my leg ( sorry if my description was confusing, the problem is on the inner sides of my knees, not in the inside of my knees… ).

PFTF – Side splits – im at about 80 degrees, i'm pretty inflexible but ( and im sure whole raft of sports physios will be tutting here ) ive never felt inflexible on the bike so haven't considered it an issue.

Guys – Im not expecting a magic solution for free from a forum, but seeing as im non-competitive and just ride in trainers on flat pedals I was just looking for a bit of a discussion and wondered if others had had the same problem….

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Viv try stretching your adductors out and see if that helps. A couple of them pass very close to vastus medialis and have caused me to have the pain you describe. Cyclists get very tight adductors due to the small yet powerful movements we ask them to do when we ride.

olie
    Free Member

I know what it is!!!!

And how to fix it and stop it happening again.

p.m me

Ti29er
    Free Member

I had an issue 2yrs ago and was told about some stretching I needed to do from a sports physio.

I was religious about it and it made no difference that I can tell although at the time you could see that it was having an effect, it was just that 12hrs later it seemed to not have made an impact on the muscles !

However, since then, I've come to the conclusion that stretching whilst cold is not useful; you need to have the muscles warmed through (waits to be shot down in flames).

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Stretching effects only last for 90mins, so you need to keep doing it. And stretching cold muscles is asking for trouble.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So your expertise Pftf? completed first year of your physio course yet?

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Almost TJ, almost. Have completed plenty other stuff alongside it though. 😀 Advanced Remedial Massage and Personal Trainer quals being two of those things.

viv
    Free Member

Will google for abductor stretching exercises – cheers PFTF! Ill let you know how it goes….

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Not been on here for a few days, sorry VIV.

I was attempting to convey that although your problem has 'surfaced' locally don't for one min think that's the route cause (I'm assuming chronic/longterm insideous onset viv?)…if you don't sort the routes out the tree can't grow :)..if you catch my drift?

I don't expect everyone to understand …. are you listening 'Peacock of The Farm'

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Knee Problems – Recurring….’ is closed to new replies.