Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Kitchens (sorry!)
  • woody2000

In the process of getting a new kitchen, and getting a bit bogged down with it TBH, so looking for a bit of STW advice 🙂

We’ve shopped around a bit, just to try and get a reasonably broad idea of the cost. Looks like it’ll be in the £17/18K region from the usual B&Q/Wickes etc.

The kicker is a friend of ours is a bespoke kitchen maker (we’d written him off initially as probably being too expensive), but got him to quote out of curiosity. He’s quoted £12K to make, fit & hand paint the units, install any appliances we need and generally finish off any bits of plumbing and electrics that were needed.

I think this sounds pretty good, but we’d still need to buy worktops and appliances. Does £12K sound decent? Anyone got any sources for reasonably priced granite and discount electricals? 🙂

Kitchen will be about 6m long x 4m (ish) wide, with an island unit. Units the full length, some wall units and some shelving.

Sorry for the dull question, but any tips gratefully received!

nonk
    Free Member

We had a hand made kitchen fitted and we should have left it for a bit before we painted it because the wood moved about a fair bit for a month or two.

is that a tip ? 🙂

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

12k is about right for hand made, however there is huge variety in aterials.

What will the carcasses be made from, assuming MRMDF. Will there ne hardwood face frames and doors or MRMDF again?

Lots ofchoices when it comes to the paint too, basic eggshell or pigmented laquer?

standard sizes or awkward ones?

Granite is likely going to be in the region of £800-£££££££, your friend should have some prefered suppliers.

In terms of apliances, what do you want? Gas/electric, dual fuel range?

Halogen/induction/gas hob?

Integrated/stand alone fridge freezer?

I’m being exceptionally blunt here but, anyone who spends £18k on a kitchen from B&Q either has more money than sense, or is pretty dumb.

cchris2lou

looking for a kitchen too , and a decent one from B and Q was £5500 with appliances .

Howdens are supposed to be good too .

woody2000

TFM – MDF carcasses, solid wood frames/doors. Not discussed the paint as such, but I’m guessing it will be a basic eggshell. Nothing awkward, it’s a rectangular kitchen.

Appliances – integrated dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. Standalone american style fridge/freezer. Duel fuel range type cooker, electric oven with gas burners.

~18K from B&Q included everything – granite/fitting/appliances, a turn key kitchen. Quote was mainly for reference, didn’t particularly want to get one from there.

Waiting for a quote from our local Howdens too.

jwt
    Free Member

+1 for Howdens, but you need a trade account.
    I’d say (without seeing plans or rendering) that £12k in a 6X4m kitchen should be very nice for the money, and if you were prepared to pay £18k, the £6k difference will get some nice appliances………….

monkeychild
    Free Member

I got our kitchen from Howdens and I am impressed with it. Plus it was a damn sight cheaper than one from the sheds and of better quality (from the ones I saw).

alfabus
    Free Member

can the howden’s trade account requirement be circumvented?

Dave

woody2000

I don’t think so Dave, they are trade only. We’re having an extension for the kitchen, so the quote from Howdens is going to our builder. My only gripe with that is the builder could stick a bit on and we wouldn’t really know. In fact, I heard (like you do), that Howdens have a bit of a 2 tier system where they quote the tradesman the real amount then do a customer quote too. Could be bollox obviously!

JWT – I reckon with a bit of ninja shopping we can get the lot for £18K if we went down the “semi-bespoke” route, but it’ll be tight. I’d rather pay less (much less!), but it’s got to last and I think the premium might just be worth it. Or not. Aaahh 🙂

BigJohn

Go to a firm that advertises in your local paper for fitted kitchens.

Have their designer round and play co-operative.

Even with the 60% off, plus an extra 10% off for a decision tonight plus phone the manager for a special deal just for you…

…divide that price by 2 for a realistic budget for a good quality kitchen fitted by a local craftsman.

And getting a trade account at Magnet, B&Q Tradepoint, Dulux Decorator Centres simply means half an hours work in Word, making up a realistic looking letterhead & Invoice with a made up VAT number and company number. No reason to believe it’s any different at Howdens.

Both Magnet & Tradepoint give retail and trade quotes…only about 50% less, trade.

SaxonRider

After shopping around, and seeing no essential difference between the cupboards available at higher end shops, I got my entire kitchen from IKEA, including appliances, for £3000. It’s been two years since, I have a lot of kids, and there has been no problem with it. Indeed, the kitchen gets frequent compliments from first-time visitors to the house.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I used to sell kitchens. Thankfully no more but, 18K for a 4X6m kitchen? What appliance is that including? Washer/dryer, 6 burner hob,dishwasher, fridge freezer? Lets say 4k worth. They’re having a laugh at 14K for the units and fitting.

Any more than 10k all in is paying a ridiculously huge commission to someone!

Get a couple of ‘kitchen designers’ out. Watch their quotes half in a space of an hour. I always went for 90% markup to start. If Id made the journey and was definatley getting nowhere Id gradually drop to 15% after the calls to the manager. Better than than nothing.

Haggle and dont give up easily!

creamegg
    Free Member

Ive bought stuff on credit card from Howdens (without an account)on several occasions. Probably not standard policy but each branch manager might be able to do it at their discretion.

petrieboy

Manage all the trades seperately. Regardless of the size and complexity of the room you’ll need no more than 4 days for 1st and 2nd fix plumbing and electrics, any monkey can fit a kitchen, but get someone good to do worktops (well fitted, good quality worktops make even a cheap kitchen look high quality)
    Any plastering, tiling, flooring is going to be comparatively quick and easy.
    Units from any of the sheds are much of a muchness, but seriously look at Ikea. Decent quality and the price is what it is so you don’t have to navigate sales and discounts. Their worktops are gash tho.

I don’t have any direct experience of granite worktops, but I’ve heard plenty horror stories from people who have had cheaper stuff fitted which has ended up being very porous and difficult to live with so do your research here. Sounds like you have a chunky budget tho so maybe consider the posh composite worktops?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We got a Howdens kitchen 2 and a bit years ago through our builder who was doing a cellar conversion. Can’t fault the units so far. We paid roughly £5.5k for the units, worktops and sink. We did comparison quotes from Wickes approx £12,500 and Magnet £18k (not that we would ever buy their over priced rubbish)

Appliances are not cheap, although we went for mid to high range stuff. We ended up getting most of our appliances from Boots online as they were doing price match and giving you points, which gave us about £200 to spend at Boots.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Another one who went to Ikea here and been very pleased with the results (got worktops from elsewhere though).

Have a search on here, there’s been a few threads on this very thing over the past year

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is anyone else doing a WTF?

My IKEA kitchen was under £3K for a 3 x 4m room! Fitted it myself tho. DW, F and F, hood and 15 units!

CaptJon
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Yes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No offence meant BTW op!

goatster
    Free Member

As a kitchen fitter/salesman, 16k sounds a ridiculous amount to spend. Even with granite tops and appliances 10/12 k sounds like it should more than cover it. Thats with quality appliances as well – this can be a bit of a open ended figure NewWorld apps will be cheap, Bosch/Siemens will be expensive so be careful of appliances included deals…

Be careful of ‘hand made’ they are all hand made somewhere along the line. Also don’t let flat pack put you off, any MDF kitchen unit can be flat pack, only difference is whether I build it onsite or the manufacturer builds it in a factory and delivers it made.

If you are anywhere near Bury/Manchester I would be happy to have a look and give you a target price…

instanthit
    Free Member

Well as the thread is on here…we are in process of looking at new kitchens, aorund the 4/5k mark.
    Will definitely not be doing it myself, anyone in the Exeter area interested in a giving me a quote? You can touch my bikes for free as an added incentive!

sharkbait
    Free Member

£18K 😯
    Run away as fast as you can.
    Friend of ours has a bespoke kitchen company (average cost is £35K and he’s got a waiting list!) and did ours for £10K including granite but excluding electrics, plumbing, tiles/tiling, painting and appliances all of which he arranged and supervised – entire job (other than painting) was completed in 7 days.
    This was 10 years ago though.
    Go with your mate – you’ll get a far better service.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

we’ve got a bespoke kitchen, 2nd one in fact, all solid pine, in both instances cost quite a bit less than a b&q job.

the current one has solid slate tops, sourced these myself and cost less than a standard b&q worktop.

i have bought and fitted a b&q kitchen in the last 24months, never again. what a load of rubbish and i seemed to end up with quite a few quids worth of extras that, according to the salesman ‘i had to have’, sat in a bag unnecessary.

if i was buying another flat pack, i’d probably go to ikea.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got a B&Q kitchen – just bought doors and carcasses and paid about £1.5k to a tradesman to fit it, tile (walls and floor) and re-decorate while we were on holiday for a week-and-half.

Materials about £1.5k, so roughly £3k all in.

My kitchen is small and basic (but nice and well put together). If I’d spent two or three times that in the same manner I think I could have had something really nice.

woody2000

I’m thinking WTF too, which was the point of the thread I guess. We really don’t want to spend 18k, who would!? Budget is nowhere near that really, i was thinking it would be 12 at the abs max!
    Goatster – we’re a mile or 2 from j25 of the m62, happy for you to come take a look if you wanted. I could scan the plans we’ve got and email them to you?

molgrips
    Free Member

Also no useful advice to give but my sister got a galley kitchen from Ikea, about 4m long for £2k. Ok so it’s small but I’d be impressed if yours was nine times the size 🙂

goatster
    Free Member

Woody.

Please do:
    tony-marshall@live.co.uk

I’m away for a week from tomorrow but I will price it for you when I get back.

Please include details of the style of kitchen, worktops and appliances.

cheers
    Tony

is that towards Bradford?

woody2000

Brighouse tony, little bit before bradford. I’ll get them over you as soon as I can. Ta

andywoods
    Free Member

howdens trade account is only form to fill in wait couple of days then away you go

jon1973
    Free Member

I put mine in with my dads help. The Materials (Ikea mainly) + electrican, plumber and floor fitter was about £4k (smallish kitchen), but it took the two of us about 10 days all-in-all, so if you include your own labour, then it’s not quite a cheap as it seems. But still substantially cheaper than what some folk are being quoted.

erny
    Free Member

Have a look in ikea as I was in there today,they are doing 3 for 2 on appliances and £100 gift voucher for every £1000 spent.

stumpy01

A bloke I used to work with bought a Wren kitchen & rated it highly.

They don’t seem to have a massive range of fancy ‘clever’ storage options, but seem to be pretty good value.

My sister has got an IKEA kitchen and seems pretty happy with it.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s one of the wonders of STW that we can have one thread debating whether or not an income of £40k pa makes you “elite” and another discussing kitchens in the £12k-18k bracket.

Get down to Ikea and you’ll get everything for less than half your £12k target.

vorlich
    Free Member

Don’t spend a fortune on a kitchen. It may last, but fashion will change and in 10-15 years you want to replace it regardless…

cchris2lou

we looked at kitchens in ikea , and nothing we liked .

waiting for a quote from Howdens .

nickhart
    Free Member

How flipping much?
    We did our kitchen just before Christmas, had seen a set up in wickes which was going to be about six grand but it was up to three months wait which didn’t fit in with plans.
    We went back to the drawing board and ended up at ikea. The same number of units, more clever units (pull out corner stuff), and a twenty five year guarantee was thirteen hundred quid. We found a work surface at a place just off the parkway in Sheffield, four hundred quid and then spent three hundred on sink and tap. To be honest it’s better than I thought it’d be. The ikea website has planning software which is fairly easy to use and saved us shed load of time in store by planning it at home first and saving it online then opening it up in store.
    Good luck!

ojom
    Free Member

Kitchens are like bikes. You spend what you feel gets you what you want.

Others always think you spent too much or not enough.

Your average person thinks bikes are a ton from halfords and would think anymore than this is mental.

All just relative points of view.

Pick what you want for yiur own home.

grantway
    Free Member

And getting a trade account at Magnet, B&Q Tradepoint, Dulux Decorator Centres simply means half an hours work in Word, making up a realistic looking letterhead & Invoice with a made up VAT number and company number.

One thing YOU DONT MAKE UP A VAT NUMBER, NOR A COMPANY NAME
    that could put you in serious shit
    Make up a letter head and tell them your a sole trader that is all you need to do.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’m being exceptionally blunt here but, anyone who spends £18k on a kitchen from B&Q either has more money than sense, or is pretty dumb.

You could buy 9 bikes for that.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Kitchens (sorry!)’ is closed to new replies.