Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Kitchen cabinet light question.
  • chorlton
    Free Member

Just bought some of these lights from B and Q.I tried installing them so they’d work from a normal household plug socket which already exists in the kitchen cabinets but they don’t work. Instructions seem a bit vague saying they need to be connected by 3 amp fused plug/fused spur as if they can be connected either or. What am I doing wrong apart from getting a qualified sparky in?

Junkyard
    Free Member

a fused spur would be you wiring it in directly to the mains without a plug [using a fuse for obvious reasons] and a plug is well using a plug to do the same thing with the fuse in the plug

A spur means it comes from the main ring in one direction but that is not important – a plugged in item is essentially a spur for this example

My guess the lights/fuse is broken

Plug then in somewhere else [ not on the same ring] and see if they work
    Change the fuse in the plug next if still not working

If they dont work then possibly the bulb or broken light fitting but return time
    if they work elsewhere but not in your socket then it is the socket/ring that is the issue

I am not an electrician and it is dangerous and whatever other legal caveats I need to say it is your risk etc.

oldgit
    Free Member

Are they low voltage and requiring a transformer?

oldgit
    Free Member

It says 20W on the fitting which would suggest they are Low voltage. The lamps probably a 20W 12V M47 capsule.

The 240V halogen capsules are 25/40/60W

A single 60va transformer should be fine if they are LV.

chorlton
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes they’re low voltage with a transformer and I do know the socket I am using works and have tried various fuses.
    Back to the shop me thinks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen cabinet light question.’ is closed to new replies.