Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Kingussie/ Glen Tromie hill tracks – info please!
  • Stu_N

Got a couple of days up around Kingussie this week and wondered if anyone had ridden any of the “linking” trails from Kingussie into Glen Feshie. In particular:

1) From Ruthven Barracks (grid ref 764995) over to Glen Tromie Lodge (776967)

2) The path over Croidh-la (grid ref 776950) – obviously it’s going to be a push/ carry up but if it’s worth it…vague notion that the S end is a stalkers’ path but not sure.

3) The path up Gleann Cromhraig that starts at 797973 and goes up the Glen to 799 918, then heads back to Glen Feshie via slopes of Creag na Sroine.

Any thoughts welcome on those or any others – I am pretty familiar with Glen Feshie and Inshriach itself but keen to know if anyone has tried the direct routes to the middle of Feshie from Strathspey.

Cheers!

Stu_N

kabump

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The path up Gleann Cromhraig does not exist on the ground. Several of us have spotted it on the map and thought great descent and gone to try it. There is a faint path at the top – enough to suck you in then it disappears. I had a 4 mile walk thru heather. I only discovered other folk had tried it after I did

The others I don’t know

You can cross into glen feshie from tromie bridge / drumguish across to baileguish and down to stronetoper

Stu_N

Thanks TJ, that’s one black dashed line of delight and/ or despair ruled out.

Just for the record (in case anyone happens across this thread) the bridge by Carnachuinn at NN846937 isn’t there any more. The furthest upstream bridge over the Feshie is now about 2km south of Achlean (NN850964).

Highland28
    Free Member

However if there has not been alot of rain you can cross the landrover track, if I am right in thinking of where you are, so it is still possible to get across, I took this crossing everyday for a week while I was working up that direction over the holidays.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aye – shonky bridge has gone. Hopefully to be rebuilt one day

You can also ford the river at teh top of the glen

Stu_N

bump….

WillC9999
    Free Member

Just back from great wunny week in the Gorms. Attempted the obvious Feshie-Tromie link shown on OS maps (up west bank of Feshie, past lochan an-t’Sluic, up around the plantations, down to Allt Bhran and track down Tromie). Well, all great until end of the marked landrover track at 810899 then a very boggy (even now after the dry period) vague track down the end of the forest. We made a beeline for the river (790891) through pathless heather and bog – mostly unridable.
    Once at the dam all is good again but not really recommended. I really dislike DHC/R (downhill carry/ride) Typically the whole day was greatly enhanced with a visit to the Inshriach Nursery for cake 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Kingussie/ Glen Tromie hill tracks – info please!’ is closed to new replies.