Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Kinda Darkside: Genesis Flyer or Spec’ Langster
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Looking at my imminient move to London Village, I think a commuter bike is called for.

Not wanting to use either of my MTB’s as I don’t wanna slick up the Handjob and I’m in no way commuting on a Nicolai Helius, I’ve had a look at both of the above today.

If you we’re going for a single speed commuter for 2-8 mile commute in the village, which would you go for?

Or any other suggestions?

rob1984p
    Free Member

Of the two the flyer but it looks far too tight for proper guards and i wouldnt ever have a commuter without full guards.
    http://www.italian-solutions.co.uk/product.php?productid=161623 looks quite good.
    We have these in stock again; i have done several thousand miles on mine with mavic open sports and they are sweet;
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-SJSC-SJSC-Double-Fixed-Large-Flange-Track-Hubs-with-High-Quality-Sealed-Cartridge-Bearings–36-Hole–Polished-Alloy-Finish-11137.htm
    or even any old steel road bike with forward facing horizontal dropouts and a pair of wheels based around the above hubs, thats what i have; a raleigh record spring retro 80’s thing which cost about £20 for frameset

sssimon
    Free Member

if you’re looking at a flyer fr commuting you’re better with a ridgeback skyline

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ridgeback Solo as it is now known. Reynolds 520 frame like the Flyer but with a slightly more relaxed geometry and guards fitted as standard.

higgo
    Free Member

Also consider the Kona Paddy Wagon.

(I am)

Stoner
    Free Member

I would build something around an old frame off ebay.
    Pretty much what I did. Original 5 speed bike for £70 from STW classifieds. I replaced the wheels with some I built arund an 120mm old stock hub for £5 from ebay, some nice rims and spokes. Leave the bike looking rough (mines black with rust marks touched up in white paint.

Just bought a modern long drop brake fo it to give it some oomph (old single pivots are rubbish)

Rides brilliantly but pretty un-nickworthy

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheers folks,

I can get a good deal on an ’09 Flyer @ my LBS (back home) and it’s good deal to say the least

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Kinda Darkside: Genesis Flyer or Spec’ Langster’ is closed to new replies.