Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • killing animals…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

reading the halal thread it got me thinking.

ever killed your own meat?

was living on a hippy commune in Oz for a few months. everything was chick peas and lentils. mate and i were completely skint but wanted something more to eat than just mush.

there was a flock of chikens along with two young cocks. they pissed everyone off with their cockle-doodle-dooing real early each morning.

it was suggested that if we killed them we could eat them.

my mate couldn't bring himself to kill them so opted for gutting.

first ones head came off real easy with a small axe. best thing is when it goes running off around the yard. the second one was a bit tougher to get through.

stewed in red wine along with loads of veggies and red wine.

obviously killed fish too. lived on a beach for two weeks eating rice, fish and crabs. but they're a lot easier to kill (and gut) than meat.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

yep, rabbits and pheasants.. yummy

ski
    Free Member

was living on a hippy commune in Oz for a few months

😯

Drac

Yup loads as posted in the Halal thread.

Gutting animals is dead easy when you know how, I can gut and skin a rabbit well under a minute. Well I use to be able to but not done it for years.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ever killed your own meat?

Well I've given it a good bash. Does that count ?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yes, lots- 12 years in the Army…

Oh, and growing up in the Countryside helped too..

backhander
    Free Member

No Ernie, I don't think that counts. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Did you get on well with hippies, alpin?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Yes, have shot pigeon, Pheasant and Rabbit.

Funnily I'm not keen on it going from running around, into the pan and onto the plate though as once happened when we shot pigeon. I prefer if they've gone cold or been frozen/refrigerated in between. I get squeamish that the warmth of having been cooked is the warmth of being alive otherwise. Wouldn't mind gutting and skinning if I knew the techniques, that was always the other half's job.

I got a bit of a surprise going out the door one morning and found a brace of pheasant lying there. I looked around and up in the sky to see where they might have come from, then wondered if they were some kind of NE Scotland, redneck voodoo message warning us off for being 'incomers'. It turned out they were a gift from the gamey for the birth of our daughter. (we lived bang in the middle [scuse the pun!] of the local landowner's shoot).

donald
    Free Member

Fish of course – hasn't everybody?

I've never shot anything but I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

Oh and in Japan I've eaten live prawns – well they were live until the heads came off – still moving anyway.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

deer
    pheasant
    partridge
    rabbit
    hare
    pigeon
    squirrel
    goose
    grouse
    duck
    lamb
    and a few others, plus butchering some larger stuff.

oh, and some assorted roadkill including kestrel and badger

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

still moving anyway

How did all those little legs kicking around in mouth/stomach feel ?

JEngledow
    Free Member

While out beating it's quite common to have to 'dispatch' a wounded bird, it's quite easy really (either snap it's neck or hit with a stick [like the queen!]). I don't like killing things for the sake of it but as a means of pest control or game (provided it'll also be a source of food) desn't worry me. I'm more concerned with people killing animals and then not eating them or letting them go to waste (like nearly happened with some sausages in an earlier thread).

willard

Have shot and killed most small game (rabbit, hare, pigeon, pheasant, etc) and pretty much always eaten it or given it to people that I know will eat it.

other stuff like squirrels I have also shot, but not eaten the horrible nasty things.

It's all about knowing and respecting where your food comes from. I put effort into stalking and shooting the animals, preparing them and cooking them. I also appreciate that, up until they got shot, they were pretty much running free in the fields, eating forbidden food (wheat etc) and putting on lots of lovely lean meat.

Better than that horrible cheap stuff you get in the supermarkets.

alpin
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Did you get on well with hippies, alpin?

most of the time i was stoned, my mate was stoned and everyone else may or may not have been stoned. we got by.

a friend (the one knobbing his hot landlady) told me about his mate trying to kill a rabbit whilst he was dangling it by the rear legs. said it took several blows to the head with a mini baseball bat, yet kept wriggling. the bat then flews from his mates grasp into a sticky pond. he mate ran to the shed; came out with a 12" file and proceeded to hit it with the handle.

rabbit died eventually though. happy ending. of sorts.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

[Hungrily contemplating a live chicken]
    Withnail: How do we make it die?

🙂

slowjo
    Free Member

Bunnies… loads of them. Can gut them within a minute, I always seem to have problems with the head so skinning them takes a couple of minutes extra.

I have shot about 200 this summer, eaten several, given the rest away to friends and acquaintances who like rabbit. So.. free meat for me and a happy farmer. I have also been harvesting his blackberries and sloes! Yum!

backhander
    Free Member

What happened to the hot landlady?
    did we get any gash shots of her in the end?

skiprat
    Free Member

Did a pigeon the other week with my van. Couldn't find much of it left to eat tho…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Rabbits aye, easy peasy. Nowt else though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘killing animals…..’ is closed to new replies.