Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Killer pothole
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Driving on a b road about 2o minutes ago the car in front suddenly lurches to a stop. It had hit a pot hole and collapsed the suspension as well as blow the tyre and break the wheel. The pot hole was huge 😯 would have been lethal if a roadie has hit it. The snow and cold has just destroyed the roads round here.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yet you didn't see it?

jd-boy
    Free Member

If it was full of water and you were unable to avoid it if a car was coming the other way, how were they to know how deep it was, I hit a pot hole several years ago, looked like a puddle but it bent the inside of the alloy wheel, it was then rubbing on the brake disc,

crazy-legs

During all the snow I was riding to work the off-road way on my FS (normally I avoid that route in winter cos of all the mud).
    Anyway, first day back on the road bike on Friday and f*** me the roads are horrendous! The weather has totally wrecked them, potholes and cracks everywhere. Doesn't help either that there's still a fair bit of snow and ice on the verges so I have to ride further out in the road.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

You thought it was a puddle – fair enough then!

john_drummer
    Free Member

OP said the car in front of him went into it.

PeteG55
    Free Member

The roads are in a right state at the moment, same happened last year after the cold snap. It'll be same as per ussual though and we'll end up with even more patchwork roads.

project
    Free Member

Well due to poor and no existent managemnent practices at a lot of councils,
    they have invested millions of our taxpayers pounds in an icelandic bank,and lost it,

not got enough salt or grit,to grit the roads,

allow social workers to let kids die and then deny theyve done any wrong,

close nursing and care homes and sell the properties off to the private sector,and evict the residents,

to close schools because if some kids dont make the effort to get in,and teachers,they may be marked down as non attendance,and this will be a black mark,come the end of the year when all the marks are added up,

and theres more.

So the ropads are of little interest to the local councils,but are used as a way of showing us the tax payer they have no money,because theyve wasted it on the above and more.

finishthat
    Free Member

just make sure you report it

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

they have no money,because theyve wasted it on the above and more.

😕 How can the following, be classed as "wasting money" :

"not got enough salt or grit,to grit the roads,

allow social workers to let kids die and then deny theyve done any wrong,

close nursing and care homes and sell the properties off to the private sector,and evict the residents,

to close schools because if some kids dont make the effort to get in,and teachers,they may be marked down as non attendance,and this will be a black mark,come the end of the year when all the marks are added up,

and theres more."

Sounds to me, as if they might have saved a bob or two 💡

project
    Free Member

Nurseing home closures ,they still have to pay for the care of the elderley,and all the admin that goes with it,

Schools if they have a high abcence rate,they loose grant per child,so close and they they dont have any abcence,yet the teachers still get paid,for sitting at home.

crikey
    Free Member

They obviously tried to save money when educating project…

headfirst
    Free Member

If only we could all buy shares in these guys

ButtonMoon

When I visit my parents in Huddersfield these huge potholes are normal!

Where are the worst roads in the UK……?

woffle
    Free Member

Cycling home from work on Friday evening in the dark and rain. Poor visiblity due to rain / fog, thought I'd be skirting the edge of what looked like a dirty great puddle that stretched halfway across the width of the road – a transit overtook me (gave me lots of room, waved thanks as per usual), he pulled back in only to slam on his brakes with a bang as his front offside wheel smacked into a huge pothole under the water. I couldn't brake or swerve quickly enough and, though I stayed on, lost my waterbottle which leapt out of the cage. It scared the bejesus out of the person driving behind me as a. it hit the road and bounced with a massive clunk and then b. exploded as she drove over it (aluminum, twin skinned thermos-type thing. Gutted, pretty much brand new.) Now looks like a pancake.

I have got a massively painful bruised palm from the jolt but aside from that very lucky that was the extent of it.

Got to take a pic of it tomorrow when I get the chance so I can report it. If I'd ridden any further to the kerb it'd have thrown me off the bike and it'd be me that the car behind hit, not the bottle.

jond
    Free Member

>So the ropads are of little interest to the local councils

FWIW, it's your *county* council that are responsible for road maintenance, not your local council.

stucol
    Free Member

I stay just south of Glasgow and after 4 weeks of snow cover the roads are just revealing the extent of damage they have suffered.

Some of the pavements in my Village have risen about two inches above the level of the kerbstones with an inch gap horizontally.

It's now 7 c so it's not frost heave. Unless of course it takes a few days to settle from that.

The condition of the roads was pathetic before the recent cold spell so god help us now.

Oh and my car had developed a clunk in the rear suspension. Do you think the council will pay for repairs ? Being a roadie and Mtb-er i do avoid all potholes as a matter of course.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Sounds to me, as if they might have saved a bob or two

They certainly have – my ex borough council underspent their council tax receipts by a million quid last year, (the county council had 24 million quid spare) were both still pretty keen to put it up again though…

project
    Free Member

jond – Member
    >So the ropads are of little interest to the local councils

FWIW, it's your *county* council that are responsible for road maintenance, not your local council.

We have a unitary authority here,no county council or local council, just a load of people with no idea,who have just privatised the road repair and maintance dept.

john_drummer
    Free Member

no county council in either West Yorkshire or South Yorkshire. Maggie done away wi' em in t'80s

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Project stop reading the Daily Mail so much and start making your own informed judgements on life, then you will realise that all those things do happen, but in the scheme of things in insignificant numbers. If your that concerned come up with the solutions instead of just moaning… but I bet you can't !

aP
    Free Member

Project you really should stop reading all those newspapers and Internet sites as you've got a really negative and to be honest quite naive viewpoint.

catfood
    Free Member
    mansonsoul
    Free Member

What tyres for crap roads?

Mistere
    Free Member

no county council in either West Yorkshire or South Yorkshire. Maggie done away wi' em in t'80s

might explain sheffield's roads; no one thought to tell someone else to fix them.

Drac

Seems to me there's still county councils in Yorkshire.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/Localcouncils/DG_4003653

ahwiles
    Free Member

worst roads in the country? – that's got to be sheffield surely?

mudshark
    Free Member

Just got back from a road ride in the Surrey Hills, ended up being scared to descend to quickly as the roads are so bad; was particularly fortunate as got an instant flat when puncturing on a long descent that I usually get close to 40mph on. I think I'll try my 32c Spesh Armadillo jobs next time.

project
    Free Member

I just tell it as i see it,warts and all,money is wasted by councils on stupid schemes,for little reason,the trams in Sheffield and Manchester while being a nice idea, are extremely expensive and if they where erequired should have been funded by private companies, not funded by the tax payer and then handed over to large companies to run at a profit.

Daily Mail,is that some sort of right wing newspaper, for the uneducated mases.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I just tell it as i see it

Don't you just.

According to the way you see it : "Schools if they have a high abcence rate,they loose grant per child,so close and they they dont have any abcence"

And : "So the ropads are of little interest to the local councils,but are used as a way of showing us the tax payer they have no money,because theyve wasted it"

So apparently local councils shut schools to protect the grants which they receive. And they ignore the maintenance of roads as a way of showing us the tax payers, that they have no money.

Also according to you, local councils shut nursing homes for no reason other than, because the alternatives are more expensive.

Yep – apparently that's the way you see it.

And I would hazard to guess that very few people apart from you, see it that way 💡

GrahamS

not got enough salt or grit,to grit the roads,

I liked Lisa Jardine's Point Of View:

We complain about councils not having huge stockpiles of grit that it turned out we needed, despite them following met office predictions and this being our worst winter in 20 odd years.

Meantime we complain about the stockpiling of swine flu jabs that it turns out we didn't need.

🙄

warton
    Free Member

I was on the road bike today and the country roads in Northumberland are destroyed. massive potholes, whole stretches of road mangled

project
    Free Member

Ernie council care homes are run on an 8 hour shift system, where as private sectioor are run on 12 hour shifts so less staff employed and less pensions to pay.

The councils spend little on essential services and lots on pointless things,sculptures,staff,lighting of public buildings,fancy websites,early retirements for failed staff,the list goes on.

Yet they close public toilets,essential for older people, refuse to repair the roads,and more as detailed above.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

council care homes are run on an 8 hour shift system, where as private sectioor are run on 12 hour shifts so less staff employed and less pensions to pay.

So what is it then ………are they saving money by farming it out to the private sector, or wasting money ?

The councils spend little on essential services and lots on pointless things,sculptures,staff,lighting of public buildings……..

How much does your council spend on "sculptures" FFS ? 😯

And it's interesting that you think "staff" is a "pointless thing". Presumably you would be happier if they sacked all their staff and handed the work over to the private sector ?

That would also help solve the problem of 'lit public buildings'.

project
    Free Member

Private care companies charge more and hold the councils to ransom for more money per resident while expecting the staff to work long hours for less pay.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1172147/Huge-folly-amazing-work-art-Giant-60ft-head-costing-taxpayers-2m-nears-completion.html

2 million quid for a start, on a slag heap.

Staff employed by councils and funded by the tax payer should work, and if they have no work to do should be sent to another department,surely a teacher can use a shovel to clear a path,or spread salt.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

2 million quid for a start, on a slag heap.

Oh I see …….. so "sculptures" represent a significant expenditure by local councils throughout the country then ?

Private care companies charge more and hold the councils to ransom for more money

So why do local councils "close nursing and care homes" then ?

Is it simply, quote : "as a way of showing us the tax payer they have no money" ?

project
    Free Member

Ernie
    Yepp youre quite correct at last.

Not politically correct but correct.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So it's all part of an elaborate plan to get round all the bother of maintaining roads ?

Cunning.

project
    Free Member

See youre getting the understanding better now.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I'm certainly understanding more about you……..that's for sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Killer pothole’ is closed to new replies.